Headliners 2016

thewayiam

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to think/hope Coldplay's sky high ticket prices are thanks in no small part to the cost of running the Xyloband show at each show, so it'd be a bit naff if they ever turned up at a festival show where the band have only a smidgen of the income they get from each stadium show to play with.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

I've just checked and morph started the last xyloband thread, in addition to starting this discussion. I suspect you still have yours on from yer last Coldplay gig. :P 

Ha sorry just got a Coldplay fan wife who tells me the Coldplay gossip which I relay on here if relevant. 

On 4/4/2016 at 8:00 PM, willutalk said:

you can say as many things about Muse as you like but at the end of the day they'll put on a breathtaking show of music.

Not seeing this one until next week, but from pictures and videos. I preferred The 2nd law arena set up, merged the theatrics with a band just playing better imo. (Minus Matt's floor drops and the madness glasses)

On 4/4/2016 at 9:31 PM, bennyhana22 said:

Have you seen the Muse setlists since beginning the tour? Bloody nora, they're poor.

OK, it would be unreasonable to expect them not to concentrate on Drones, of course. But peddling the same back catalogue old songs over and over and over again...

The thing is Ben, bands of that size can't win. People moan if they play all their shitty new album and leave out the classics and moan if they just do the hits. 

They could extend their own shows a bit to fill it out and maybe a rarer song or two every night, but headlining the pyramid? Its got to be the hits, the ones people know.

Anyway my perfect Muse setlist (to kind of cover everything, Spotify pegs it at 2 hours and 20 minutes)

1. The 2nd Law: Isolated System
  2. Showbiz
  3. Uprising
  4. Assassin
  5. Hysteria
  6. Reapers
  7. Supermassive Black Hole
  8. Panic Station
  9. The Small Print
  10. Undisclosed Desires
  11. Madness
  12. Muscle Museum
  13. Feeling Good
  14. Hoodoo
  15. Space Dementia
  16. Liquid State
  17. MK Ultra
  18. Citizen Erased
  19. Micro Cuts
  20. Resistance
  21. City of Delusion
  22. Apocalypse Please
  23. Mercy
  24. Plug In Baby

Encore:

1. The 2nd law: Unsustainable
  2. Psycho
  3. Take a Bow
  4. New Born
  5. Knights of Cydonia

10 hours ago, Earthwindandfire2205 said:

Could be easily done and the locals who come on the Sunday would make it look amazing on the Sunday night. I was lucky to have one on their last tour and it was a fantastic spectacle 

There it is again, this reoccurring idea that "the locals" are a homogeneous mass of thousands with identical, Pyramid-based tastes in music. Regardless of the fact that this locale gave us one of the more diverse arts festivals one could wish to attend ;)

7 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

There it is again, this reoccurring idea that "the locals" are a homogeneous mass of thousands with identical, Pyramid-based tastes in music. Regardless of the fact that this locale gave us one of the more diverse arts festivals one could wish to attend ;)

I spoke to a local once and they seemed like a decent fellow and we had a good chat about music.

I presumed he was lying about where he lived as he seemed to have quite an eclectic taste, and everyone knows the locals only like chart music.

48 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Quote mangling ... sorry

40 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I spoke to a local once and they seemed like a decent fellow and we had a good chat about music.

I presumed he was lying about where he lived as he seemed to have quite an eclectic taste, and everyone knows the locals only like chart music.

Hey! I'm a local!!

We need to start referring to 'the locals' as 'day ticketers', since presumably some of those aren't as hard-core as the other festival goers who come for the full five days. As far as I'm aware, you're allowed to come on other days if you're local. If there was anything that set the Sunday ticketers apart, it's that they're only there for a day, not because they're from Somerset.

But to be honest, it's all a bit patronising.

34 minutes ago, barcelonista1899 said:

There are two different ticket types- 'Villagers' that get you in for the entire festival, and then the 'Sunday passes' (offered to people close to the festival but not as involved/disrupted) that allow you access from 5am I believe on the Sunday. 

There are 3 types, in fact. 

'Villagers' tickets - given free (or cash alternative) to people in Pilton and Pylle (and possibly one or two other villages right by the site), as compensation for the disruption around festival time. 

'Local weekend' tickets - available to residents of Central Somerset. Still cost full price, but these residents get an extra chance in the sales (still not guaranteed, though).

'Sunday' tickets - Also available to central Somerset, but just for the day. Good for people who can't afford the whole thing, or can't get time off work, or fail in the sale. 

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

If you lived in Pilton would you still camp?

I probably would, but I've never had any problem sleeping in a tent. I'm sure quite a lot of the villagers do go back home at night. The lovely @deebeedoobee and @pilton digger have offered me a spare villagers ticket this year, so I get to use the village car park and village gate, which is a great bonus! :) 

26 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Nope... I live about 10-15 mins away and getting home after a full day of festival is amazing, shower, cup of tea, nice bed.  Tool up in the morning and head back to the festival site.  It is a lovely way to do festivals.  Shindig and Farm Festival are not far away either, but I've not done them yet.  They seem to be a bit too nostalgic for my liking, I did the 90's in the 90's, it was amazing, don't need to relive it :D

37 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

My brother was living in Newport when we did IOW in '12 - 30 minute walk away. We camped as it was far easier to hit the tent late at night, drunk and knackered. And to be fair, I would have been sleeping on the same inflatable mattress either way.

But that walk was a lot more attractive in the morning when we could get a shower, make a toilet and drop in the supermarket for a replenishment of supplies.

If I had access to a real bed, I expect I would go home. A decent night's sleep allows you to make more of the waking hours.

And of course so much depends on the weather.

38 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

No chance. Imagine leaving Shangri-La at 4am, strolling home, quick shower, nice comfortable bed, back up at 11am, proper breakfast, fresh clothes (if necessary), strut back to the gate fresh as a daisy. No walk of death either. Best of both worlds for me. I'm almost 39 now and after 15 years and around 30 festivals-worth of mud, back ache, discomfort, sleepless nights, not showering for six days, putting up and taking down tents in the rain, etc, staying in Pilton sounds like bliss to me

On 2/18/2016 at 2:42 PM, EamerRed said:

I don't need to forgive you, I'm not trying to convince you :lol: Let's just wait and see. 

As for the bold bit, I can do what I like I'm afraid! Whether you choose to believe it or not is your choice mate, but in all honesty I have no credibility, I'm a stranger on a forum with relatively few posts. Just feel free to quote me in April if no news is announced by then, and conversely, know that I have at least some credibility if (when) it turns out to be true ^_^. Back to the subject, I can't see them doing Glastonbury personally but I have no idea on that front I will admit.

:lol::lol::lol: