Headliners 2016

thewayiam

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if they might try and give someone else a chance to headline now, after Florence went down so well (albeit she wasn't originally headlining). I can definitely see them trying to get another female headliner or give someone a chance now, especially if they got 2 big hitters on the other two nights.

Lucy Rose for 2016

As much as those people are wrong, I think that kind of goes to show how unsuited Biffy Clyro are to headlining Glastonbury in 2016.

It'd be the least cared about headliner in recent times. Most of the fans they picked up on their breakthrough - which is quite a long time ago now - have gone and seen them at one of the many fests they've done and moved onto the next thing while they haven't done a fat lot to stay relevant, and I think they'll suffer from that on return.

If there's no real clamour for them to play and they're simply booked as part of some festival sudoku where they must play Glastonbury as they've already featured everywhere else then they're gonna get a woefully small crowd. In fact they might as well give the headline slot to their successors in polished rock riffing and create a headliner rather than just succumbing to the inevitable.

I don't fully believe this. Biffy will have gained a lot more fans in recent times with more mainstream songs and albums. At their starting period with those 1st 3 albums, they'd have never seen a number 1 album, a sell out arena tour or headline shows at R&L, IOW or T. If anything, they started losing original fans when the Puzzle and Only Revolutions came but what they gain is much more. Selling out £100 close on tickets to Reading on their 1st bump up, fair play to them, I didn't think they could do it and further more, this was after a fairly extensive sold out arena tour as well.

You bury it deep amongst the N.W.A, Manics and Placebo though. :P

Placebo? :huh: I don't even like them save for a few songs.

I'll give you N.W.A. and the Manics though, but the Manics were still putting out great music well into the 2000s so they don't count. ;)

Placebo? :huh: I don't even like them save for a few songs.

I'll give you N.W.A. and the Manics though, but the Manics were still putting out great music well into the 2000s so they don't count. ;)

Shit. I just guessed at Placebo because they're a R+L fav and I needed three. :P

I don't fully believe this. Biffy will have gained a lot more fans in recent times with more mainstream songs and albums. At their starting period with those 1st 3 albums, they'd have never seen a number 1 album, a sell out arena tour or headline shows at R&L, IOW or T. If anything, they started losing original fans when the Puzzle and Only Revolutions came but what they gain is much more. Selling out £100 close on tickets to Reading on their 1st bump up, fair play to them, I didn't think they could do it and further more, this was after a fairly extensive sold out arena tour as well.

Yeah. I get all that. I'm saying they're not gonna be as popular as they were off the back of OR and running up to Opposites and the tour. That album hit number one but for sales it didn't do terribly well and had their worst charting singles in ten years. They can't stay big off of Only Revolutions for much longer.

Did the same not apply to Arcade Fire and Kasabian last year (just talking about people on here saying they aren't big enough, not the whole picture)?

Good point actually.

Yeah. I get all that. I'm saying they're not gonna be as popular as they were off the back of OR and running up to Opposites and the tour. That album hit number one but for sales it didn't do terribly well and had their worst charting singles in ten years. They can't stay big off of Only Revolutions for much longer.

Kind of why I think they did well ending that touring when they did and nothing this year. They've seen how people tour too much and people are like fuck off already. I reckon there will pretty decent demand when they announce a come back single and album. I admit Opposites sounded much better on release and dwindled a bit after a while, could have probably just made one album out of it.

Forgetting size for now, what do people actually want from a headline act? Does it need to be someone you can dance and / or go nuts to? Or can it be a more sedate but high quality act? Thinking someone like Adele for example, who wouldn't exactly set the crowd rocking but is a quality performer. Or is that what the other stages are for?

Started thinking about it this year when I found I wasn't really in the mood for going nuts come headline o'clock.

Forgetting size for now, what do people actually want from a headline act? Does it need to be someone you can dance and / or go nuts to? Or can it be a more sedate but high quality act? Thinking someone like Adele for example, who wouldn't exactly set the crowd rocking but is a quality performer. Or is that what the other stages are for?

Started thinking about it this year when I found I wasn't really in the mood for going nuts come headline o'clock.

Ive realised that with the exceptions of a few, there are very few headline sized acts that I want to see any more.

The few are probably never going to play either (your bowies for example).

The Headline sized acts Im expecting in the next few years are the likes of Rihanna, swift and Coldplay (again).

I'm struggling to think of many viable options I like tbh.

Headliner- Pyramid next year

Friday - Foo Fighters

Sat - Radiohead

Sun - Fleetwood Mac

you heard it here first.

Came on here to suggest exactly that - in the same order too. Excellent. End the thread here folks, Ghandi and I have got this sorted.

Did the same not apply to Arcade Fire and Kasabian last year (just talking about people on here saying they aren't big enough, not the whole picture)?

People on this forum have a habit of dismissing certain predictions as "too much like Reading and Leeds", when 2014 had the most Reading and Leeds set of headliners ever. Plus at least half of the bands that play on the Other Stage play at R&L the same year.

People on this forum have a habit of dismissing certain predictions as "too much like Reading and Leeds", when 2014 had the most Reading and Leeds set of headliners ever. Plus at least half of the bands that play on the Other Stage play at R&L the same year.

that's because the Other Stage is essentially a condensed version of Reading/Leeds, and why the Other Stage is often packed with shite

2014 was a weird year headliner wise i'll give you that - i'll put that down to the festival not being able to get who they originally wanted (Neil seems to think Fleetwood Mac were originally penciled in for the Friday for example) and so having to take what they could - better to have three Reading-esque headliners than no headliners at all

Love Sabbath but from an audience POV I'm not sure they'd have the songs for it. In all honesty I think that 90% of the set would be met with a lot of blank looks. Having said that I'd watch them!

Foos are bound to be a solid bet, same as U2 in 2011 after pulling out in 2010.