Headliners 2016

thewayiam

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Could be the other thousands of acts on the bill. Plus from the stuff Neil's been saying it's safe to assume Adele was definitely in the frame at some point, and Radiohead may well be taking her spot (hallelujah)

Well yeah but these things are only meaningful from top to bottom. 'Sorry gals but no headline slots this year - there's plenty further down the bill though!' doesn't really cut it. 

I'd much rather Radiohead took Muse's slot. I'm not a fan of Adele but I think she deserves to headline. No women in any of the headline bands would be pretty bad. But, of course, if all this is true and Adele is no longer in the frame it's probably because she turned it down, not because she wasn't asked.

Don't get me wrong - I'm very happy about the potential Radiohead development! Fuckin Muse though...

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, jimmyt said:

And we're absolutely certain that Adele would only play if she was headlining? Somehow, I could see her being on before Radiohead or Coldplay.

It's not impossible - she's the biggest act in the world, but is totally untested in a festival environment, especially headlining. I don't think it'll happen, but if there were ever an act who they'd bend the rules for then I could see it being her. I'm sure there's a whole bunch of stuff I'm forgetting about that could prevent it from actually happening though - crowd sizes and the like

Just now, somecoolusername said:

Well yeah but these things are only meaningful from top to bottom. 'Sorry gals but no headline slots this year - there's plenty further down the bill though!' doesn't really cut it.

Yes it does. How many Glastonbury festival line-ups have you put together?

oh yeah the female thing can bare itself out over the entire line up easily and wouldnt really be hugely impacted by the pyramid headliners i dont think. i think it would only ever have been a remark about the overall bill and if anything particularly focused on the Park as that is Emily's area 

having said that its more likely to have been said when adele was in the frame, hopefully she now isnt and Radiohead are.

Edited by Memory Man

24 minutes ago, somecoolusername said:

yeah I don't know where those 'strong on women this year' comments fit into 3 bloke band headliners but er... 

I'm still hopeful that'll be the case amongst the rest of the card, even if Adele dropping out has left it wanger-heavy pyramid headliner wise

Edited by SwedgeAntilles

12 minutes ago, somecoolusername said:

Er? Cool of you to make the executive decision that there's enough representation of women, mr Gender: Male Location:the past

I didn't make that decision, that would be Emily Eavis, gender: female. Position: one of the most influential women in the British live music scene.

She says she's been deliberately strong on women, I reckon it'd be fair to judge her on her full line-up instead of accusing her of not doing enough because she's not pulled a female headliner out of her arse. They've clearly made an effort to get Adele and not managed it, they can book a female headliner if there is one to be booked. 

25 minutes ago, willutalk said:

She's the biggest act on the earth at the moment. Headlining is where she belongs. 

Big is over rated. United are the 'biggest' football club on the planet. They are still crap and boring as hell to watch. Being big does not make you good.

Does Adele have enough good tunes to entertain the crowd? Thats the important question. It does not matter a million bored housewives in Delaware have bought her album.

23 minutes ago, somecoolusername said:

I'd much rather Radiohead took Muse's slot. I'm not a fan of Adele but I think she deserves to headline. No women in any of the headline bands would be pretty bad. But, of course, if all this is true and Adele is no longer in the frame it's probably because she turned it down, not because she wasn't asked.

Don't get me wrong - I'm very happy about the potential Radiohead development! Fuckin Muse though...

It depends who is available, they cant just say "Aretha Franklin - you are on" 

If adele was offered it and turns it down, should they just go to a woman / women for the sake of it?  You can only book who is available.

Until the full line up is out, we can't really judge

Its Muse, Radiohead and Coldplay isn't it with Adele in the Saturday sunset slot and high slots for Ellie Goulding, PJ Harvey, Wolf Alice, probably Sia, maybe Lana Del Rey (remember the "female heavy" line up Emily promised). Also ZZ Top, ELO, New Order, Disclosure and Bring Me The Horizon. Playing it safe but also EXACTLY what I like to hear at Glastonbury too. Very pleased tonight.

10 minutes ago, Martin Ashford said:

Its Muse, Radiohead and Coldplay isn't it with Adele in the Saturday sunset slot and high slots for Ellie Goulding, PJ Harvey, Wolf Alice, probably Sia, maybe Lana Del Rey (remember the "female heavy" line up Emily promised). Also ZZ Top, ELO, New Order, Disclosure and Bring Me The Horizon. Playing it safe but also EXACTLY what I like to hear at Glastonbury too. Very pleased tonight.

You forgot LCD but aside from that it sounds fucking amazing.

36 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I didn't make that decision, that would be Emily Eavis, gender: female. Position: one of the most influential women in the British live music scene.

She says she's been deliberately strong on women, I reckon it'd be fair to judge her on her full line-up instead of accusing her of not doing enough because she's not pulled a female headliner out of her arse. They've clearly made an effort to get Adele and not managed it, they can book a female headliner if there is one to be booked. 

I was referring more to your comment that it is possible to have an equally representative line up if every member of every headline act is a man. I don't think that's true. The headline positions clearly carry more weight than any lower billings.

I'm not accusing her of not doing enough, or of needing to pull a woman headliner out of her arse. Adele isn't the only woman in music. 

I am hopeful that her comments will be represented in the full line up.

1 minute ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

...someone fill me in. You've all managed to do about 15 pages while I was at work.

News from NME Awards: Foos have been ruled out by Michael. Emily said to Metro that the three headliners are all British bands. Also some bloke has tweeted that she also said the next one will be announced within two weeks.