Headliners 2016

thewayiam

50 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I didnt see them headline but I did see them in 2005 on the pyramid sandwiched between Doves and white stripes. They were complete shit then

But then anyone would have had a hard time following doves that day, they were brill.

Surely we're due a new album soon? Or have they all fallen out or something? Really enjoyed Jimi's set on the park last year.

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Justiceforcedave said:

Surely we're due a new album soon? Or have they all fallen out or something? Really enjoyed Jimi's set on the park last year.

on a hiatus, and all off doing their own thing, so i wouldn't expect an album any time soon (although both Jimi's solo thing and Jez and Andy's Black Rivers current stints seem to have come to a close so who knows)

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

on a hiatus, and all off doing their own thing, so i wouldn't expect an album any time soon (although both Jimi's solo thing and Jez and Andy's Black Rivers current stints seem to have come to a close so who knows)

It's been like 5/6 years since the last album hasn't it? That's a longer hiatus then most bands split up for before their "reunions"

Just now, stocky3000 said:

Released an album in 2012 and then a Greatest Hits album in 2013, they can stay away a little longer I think 

last album was in 2009, and Greatest Hits was in 2010. they've been on hiatus since

we are talking about Doves here, by the way, and not The Killers. why would anybody want them back!?

My 2p on the killers: Was really looking forward to them at Reading (2004?) when they supported the Pixies as the sub - to say they were shit is a total understatement - was really and truly boring and I say that as an ex teenage fanboy of theirs. That put me off listening to them it was that boring!

Having video tape recorded a glasto highlights show in 2004 at the ripe age of 15 it was seeing the killers playing mr Brightside (my first encounter with the song at that point) that started my infactuation with the festival. Therefore even though I wasn't there I'm going to claim they were ace!

Anther noteable performance on that tape was supergrass with pumpin on the stereo although much to my annoyance the tape ran out halfway through.

I'll tell you who else were good in the tent in 2004....delays. I'd never heard of them before but they were great. The whole tent went wild for them. I came away from that festival thinking they were going to be the next big thing and would be headlining within 3 years......dont think I ever heard of them again.

Edited by russycarps

20 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Having video tape recorded a glasto highlights show in 2004 at the ripe age of 15 it was seeing the killers playing mr Brightside (my first encounter with the song at that point) that started my infactuation with the festival. Therefore even though I wasn't there I'm going to claim they were ace!

Anther noteable performance on that tape was supergrass with pumpin on the stereo although much to my annoyance the tape ran out halfway through.

I'm a big Supergrass fan and apparently was at the gig but have no memory of it whatsoever. :mellow:

All on youtube anyway

Actually just checked. I wasn't at it because I was Amy Winehouse on the Jazz World. Carry on.

That was some day actually. English National Opera, Christy Moore, James Brown, Television, Amy Winehouse and Orbital.

Edited by The Nal

3 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I'll tell you who else were good in the tent in 2004....delays. I'd never heard of them before but they were great. I came away from that festival thinking they were going to be the next big thing and would be headlining within 3 years......dont think I ever heard of them again.

That first album was chocful of hooks and choruses. 

Infact I'd forgotten all about them!

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

saw The Killers headline Leeds fest in 2008. god they were boring. if i remember correctly they couldn't even fill their 1 hour 30 time slot and went off 15 minutes early. made all the more painful by the fact that i missed Manic Street Preachers for them. silly young lad

what was their Glastonbury headline show like? shite i'm guessing?

ooh remember that gig, I only watch 1st 30 mins or so but gave up as sound was sh*te and went to watch the Manics in the tent, who were awesome!!

I've seen them a few times around 2008 at MEN & V Festival and thought they were pretty sound.. but after they became pretty much resident at V festival and brought that god awful dance album I've just not bothered with them since TBH

9 minutes ago, russycarps said:

do they still exist I wonder? my ex-girlfriend went mad for that album

just had a look and they do indeed. always thought it must be strange to be in a band like that - hyped up to be the next big thing and seeming like you're about to take off, and then bam, people stop giving a shit and you're back to playing to 30 people in shitty venues

2 minutes ago, mrtourette said:

They looked the part, but apart from one song on their first record with the steel drums (Wanderlust?) that was about it.

I'll tell you who else she liked she dragged me to see in that era, some whoppers called thirteen senses. Heard of them? Earnest coldplay/keane hybrid of a band.

Christ she was a tit

2 hours ago, russycarps said:

I'll tell you who else were good in the tent in 2004....delays. I'd never heard of them before but they were great. The whole tent went wild for them. I came away from that festival thinking they were going to be the next big thing and would be headlining within 3 years......dont think I ever heard of them again.

For a renowned mardarse you do seem to regularly lose yourself to a momentary hype ;)