Headliners 2016

thewayiam

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will refine from posting anything I hear - not entirely sure why this person would lie about the announcement. They work with Ian Brown / Stone Roses and they gave me the option last comeback tour to get tickets before it was even announced. I wouldn't have posted if it was just something I heard from a friend who heard from a friend of a friend in the pub that they had an announcement. 

I read that Justin Bieber has compared himself to Michael Jackson earlier, this prompt someone who I work with to say "Justin should headline Glastonbury, he would be brilliant, don't ya think?"

I think I have finished laughing at the statement...... 
(the person has tickets for the first time, to tick off their bucket list and is only bothered about headliners, has said if headliners are rubbish they will just not bother going and give up their ticket, figured it isn't worth debating given that they are a Justin Bieber fan)

Will refine from posting anything I hear - not entirely sure why this person would lie about the announcement. They work with Ian Brown / Stone Roses and they gave me the option last comeback tour to get tickets before it was even announced. I wouldn't have posted if it was just something I heard from a friend who heard from a friend of a friend in the pub that they had an announcement. 

I wouldn't worry about it. Some people do post crap online and get kicks from it. Equally, some people are given information from people who do know what they're on about but for whatever reason it turns out to be incorrect. Just the way it goes :). Glad you let us know anyways even if it didn't turn out.

Last couple of years we have not had many big stadium gigs. I know Sunderland struggled with that lack of big acts around. 

I do expect U2 to do some stadiums this year

Last time AC/DC toured (Black Ice) they did a gig at Stadium of Light and it never sold out, despite being just down the road from where Brian Johnson was bought up, Sunderland area does seem to be lacking a passion for music.

I read that Justin Bieber has compared himself to Michael Jackson earlier, this prompt someone who I work with to say "Justin should headline Glastonbury, he would be brilliant, don't ya think?"

I think I have finished laughing at the statement...... 
(the person has tickets for the first time, to tick off their bucket list and is only bothered about headliners, has said if headliners are rubbish they will just not bother going and give up their ticket, figured it isn't worth debating given that they are a Justin Bieber fan)

Jacko's rotting corpse has more talent than Bieber has, I would lose the will to live working alongside a colleague like yours.

Jacko's rotting corpse has more talent than Bieber has, I would lose the will to live working alongside a colleague like yours.

It's difficult sometimes, but once you realise that they will likely forget to pay for their tickets, you feel better. One of the directors used to live in Glastonbury and went to the festival often - I think the idea of Bieber headlining made him consider sacking the colleague. Apparently it isn't reasonable grounds though... who knew??

Last time AC/DC toured (Black Ice) they did a gig at Stadium of Light and it never sold out, despite being just down the road from where Brian Johnson was bought up, Sunderland area does seem to be lacking a passion for music.

think that at the arena in Newcastle. 

Sunderland have had a number of sell out concerts at the stadium of light. 

http://www.fyens.dk/kultur/Nye-navne-paa-vej-Men-Coldplay-er-for-store-til-Tinderbox/artikel/2815577

Radiohead (and Depeche Mode, if anyone thought they were) not touring next year according to Danish festival Tinderbox organiser. Additionally he says Coldplay are too big for his festival so I imagine that probably means stadiums and the big festivals, so their status as a rumour for Glastonbury probably remains intact.

Edited by dentalplan

http://www.fyens.dk/kultur/Nye-navne-paa-vej-Men-Coldplay-er-for-store-til-Tinderbox/artikel/2815577

Radiohead (and Depeche Mode, if anyone thought they were) not touring next year according to Danish festival Tinderbox organiser. Additionally he says Coldplay are too big for his festival so I imagine that probably means stadiums and the big festivals, so their status as a rumour for Glastonbury probably remains intact.

I'm not sure he means Radiohead aren't touring next year, more like they've yet to announce any future tour dates. 

Edited by addicted2noise

I'm not sure he means Radiohead aren't touring next year, more like they've yet to announce any future tour dates. 

Why would he need to tell people that? He's responding to who readers of that paper want to headline and appears to say "neither Radiohead nor Depeche Mode are touring so it's moot".

Radiohead have said they intend to tour, though. They just won't have organised it yet.

By next year I meant relevant to that festival ie. summer tours and festivals. They might start their tour in winter but I'm sure if they were being put about for summer festivals it would be happening by now.

Edited by dentalplan

Why would he need to tell people that? He's responding to who readers of that paper want to headline and appears to say "neither Radiohead nor Depeche Mode are touring so it's moot".

My interpretation was that he was just addressing the general public (who aren't as clued in on bands touring cycles) and may not even be aware of Johnny Greenwood's recent comments. 

By next year I meant relevant to that festival ie. summer tours and festivals. They might start their tour in winter but I'm sure if they were being put about for summer festivals it would be happening by now.

Good point, although Glastonbury seem to book headliners a bit later than other festivals I actually think a winter tour is more likely with them headlining in 2017

Radiohead have said they intend to tour, though. They just won't have organised it yet.

They said they hope to tour next year, I think that piece clarifies enough that they are not about. I think if they were, it would either not get mentioned or again like Coldplay it would say they are too large. They charge more than Coldplay do for gigs, I doubt they could get them. I'd defo be thinking away from them as an option.

I guess Coldplay will come down to if their management think doing a stadium tour and Glasto will be alright.