Dalai Lama self-confirms

UEF

looks like it may have been taken down as he's now doing a DJ Set:

http://wundergroundmusic.com/dalai-lama-to-play-deep-house-set-at-glastonbury/

Dalai Lama To Play Deep House Set At Glastonbury

Tibetan Buddhism spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, is set to surprise audiences at next summer’s Glastonbury festival with what sources have claimed will be a “four hour set of stomping deep house”.

“We’re absolutely delighted to have the Dalai Lama play at Glastonbury,” confirmed a spokesperson for the festival via a press release. “Glastonbury has always been considered a spiritual site so to have one of the world’s foremost religious authority’s take to the decks here is a real coup.”

Buddhist practitioners around the country were said to have been so delighted with the announcement of the Dalai Lama’s upcoming appearance at the festival that they celebrated wildly by sitting in a chair silently for some twenty minutes before boisterously downing a stiff glass of high proof water.

“I was a bit surprised when I heard it was a deep house set though,” expressed one admirer from a cross legged position beneath a tree in the carpark of a local Waitrose – the most white, middle-class and therefore Buddhist supermarket in Britain. “I always thought he’d be more into jungle.”

A spokesperson for the Dalai Lama spoke for his person and denied concerned rumours that the appearance would be nothing more than a brief and meaningless “Pope-style waving” and would include “a few absolute stompers”.

“Well naturally people thought the obvious thing – that the Dalai would be delivering some sort of Buddhist sermon at the festival, or leading a mass meditation on the increasingly materialistic aspects of the Somerset festival itself, or checking out whichever aging and irrelevant dinosaur band are occupying the main stage,” explained the source close to the Dalai. “But in actual fact, having come across Jimpster’s podcast last year, he’s become a massive deep house fan.”

“Whereas normally he’d listen to the soft murmurings of monks chanting softly, the sounds of his own mindfulness, and speedcore,” added the source. “Some of which he may incorporate into the set. He likes to decide on the day based on the crowd reaction.”

Claiming that the Dalai Lama has been a dance music fan for years, the spokesperson suggested that he would be “most likely playing in the Green Fields or one of those hippy-dippy areas” and that the set would “begin at 5am to embrace the beauty of the oncoming summer dawn with a heart full of love, and a head full of top, top quality MD”.

“This will be the most spiritual set that Glastonbury has ever experienced,” concluded the Dalai Lama’s spokesperson who is now apparently working a second job as his hype man. “If this isn’t the most uplifting, spiritual and religious experience you have at next year’s Glastonbury then I don’t know what you can do, except probably DMT.

Edited by 5co77ie

Also, just a polite pointer, but I'd really consider using another word than 'retarded.'

Totally agree, but I'm fairly confident that's a word he's used himself before.

On 'his holiness'... I may go along, but I'm inherently suspicious of anyone who calls their lectures 'teachings'. Seems to spout a significant amount of bollocks to me, and obviously if you spout enough bollocks you're going to say something sensible eventually.

Edit: just realised that this isn't a particularly nice thing to say. What I mean is that - I'm not sure he's made any genuine contribution to moral philosophy. I'd rather hear from someone who has.

Edited by davefrompompey

• 3 months later...

Did the independent just give the game away?

Other prestigious artists set to play at the dairy farm in Somerset include Motown singer Lionel Richie - whose set will be introduced by the Dalai Lama -

????

That would be a pretty massive way to do the legends slot!

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/festivals/glastonbury-2015-pharrell-williams-florence-and-the-machine-and-patti-smith-among-acts-to-play-at-worthy-farm-10176764.html

was gonna ask if the Dalai Lama would be on a line up poster but the "whos missing" thread got to long to be arsed to look back through...

i dont think he would make the big fonts on a poster anyway, maybe he'll just be in the guardian guide or not billled but do a talk somewhere so it doesnt get too rammed

who knows.. the beauty of glasto

Other prestigious artists set to play at the dairy farm in Somerset include Motown singer Lionel Richie - whose set will be introduced by the Dalai Lama -

????

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/festivals/glastonbury-2015-pharrell-williams-florence-and-the-machine-and-patti-smith-among-acts-to-play-at-worthy-farm-10176764.html

Probably just the usual crap, speculative, adding up two and two to get five journalism from The Indy. But:

Wow! If true, that's actually quite a scoop/spot Matt.

was gonna ask if the Dalai Lama would be on a line up poster but the "whos missing" thread got to long to be arsed to look back through...

i dont think he would make the big fonts on a poster anyway, maybe he'll just be in the guardian guide or not billled but do a talk somewhere so it doesnt get too rammed

who knows.. the beauty of glasto

The ballet last year - in the slot he's generally being assumed to be taking - was only on the final poster :)

Would love for him to do Pyramid but also a couple unannounced things in smaller venues. As long as they're not secret enough that I can't find them. If the crowd's respectful, which seems very likely at Glastonbury, I reckon a giant group meditation or something on Sunday in the sun with thousands of other people could be pretty great.

Also kind of hopes he doesn't introduce Lionel.

????

it's exceedingly unlikely that Glasto would have given even the Guardian any detail about the Dalai Lama, as there's some big issues around his appearance.

I was aware that foreign governments and the like were getting stick from China for hosting him (or His Holiness). Assumed Glastonbury were impervious to such influences, more so considering he seemingly fits the ethos of the festival. Well.. The figure of the Dalai Lama anyway, I know some of the controversy lies in this particular one's past (eg CIA link).

Either way, controversy never stopped them when it came to Kanye..!

Is he likely to be included in any line up announcements at all then? Or were they just unhappy at him being revealed earlier than they planned?

no idea on the 1st, bu8t I know they didn't want it publicised.

Mind you, he has a 2nd show at *Aldershot Town FC, and they don't seem to be bothered about that getting publicised.

(Aldershot has a big Nepalese population, because of the Gurkha link)

• 1 month later...