Acid_Haze

Ah okay, if it's the info from them then fair play. I would think you'd be told nothing at all rather than that info if they wanted to stay completely cagey.

I suspect I was told it because they wanted to narrow the speculation.

They've certainly told me stuff in the past to get rumours they didn't want to be flying around to be killed off, as they've told me that's why they'd given me that specific bit of info.

• Replies 37.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• FloorFiller

• Matt42

• Rose-Colored Boy

So from that evidence your now leaning towards Blur then?

For the last week I've been saying that Blur is the very obvious one, and most likely because of that.

But just because it seems the most likely that doesn't get to mean it's definitely them. There's a part of me that just can't put away the possibility that it's Fleetwood Mac, for example - despite a report reaching my ears of Michael recently saying it's not.

I have always said how Mumford and Sons, Coldplay and Elbow would be my worst three headliners !!! So if any of them are the Sunday headliner I shall steer clear of the Pyramid.

That said I think that they missed a trick with obviously a 'keen' AC/DC, I mean having Foo Fighters, AC/DC and Metallica over two years would seem pretty heavy for Glasto standards, but you have to go with what's best around at the time, which AC/DC very much are.

Why would they care about the accuracy of rumours? Not that I'm doubting what you have been told.

for the same reason that Emily tweeted about Prince yesterday - so that people aren't buying tickets thinking they're getting a particular thing when they won't be.

It does no one any good to disappoint people, to make them feel like they've been scammed.

That said I think that they missed a trick with obviously a 'keen' AC/DC, I mean having Foo Fighters, AC/DC and Metallica over two years would seem pretty heavy for Glasto standards, but you have to go with what's best around at the time, which AC/DC very much are.

Were AC/DC "keen" enough to play Glastonbury for a Glastonbury reduced fee?

Just because an act might be available and supposedly "keen" doesn't mean they're really "keen" enough to actually be available.

I have always said how Mumford and Sons, Coldplay and Elbow would be my worst three headliners !!! So if any of them are the Sunday headliner I shall steer clear of the Pyramid.

I highly doubt it was Glastonbury's choice not to have AC/DC.

I think as a rock band both AC/DC and Foo's can be enjoyed by 99% of the people who go to Glasto. Your average EDM would probably enjoy going to see both Foo's and AC/DC. Having them both in the same year isn't too bad a call from Glasto

Just to clarify incase anyone thought I was, I'm not some fanboy wishful thinking! I'm happy with whoever headlines. It's just that to me that reads that she is not saying he is playing and also not saying he is pulling out. So I don't see it as her flat out saying he is NOT playing. I get how everyone else is reading it but I read it as a bit of a wishy/washy statement. I am probably totally wrong and will be the first to admit it! But I can't help the way I first read it.

Seems unnecessarily ambiguous to me. She could have simply tweeted "contrary to tabloid rumours, Prince is NOT playing at glastonbury nor has he pulled out"

For the last week I've been saying that Blur is the very obvious one, and most likely because of that.

But just because it seems the most likely that doesn't get to mean it's definitely them. There's a part of me that just can't put away the possibility that it's Fleetwood Mac, for example - despite a report reaching my ears of Michael recently saying it's not.

i'd agree if it wasn't for the 3 in a row gigs, although I suppose the offer might have come after those gigs were arranged and so they thought could do it as a one off?

remember those 'wrong' Bristol dates on micks facebook page? everyone thought that was a big clue before mick completely ruled them out

I suspect I was told it because they wanted to narrow the speculation.

They've certainly told me stuff in the past to get rumours they didn't want to be flying around to be killed off, as they've told me that's why they'd given me that specific bit of info.

Ah yeah that's a good point. I'm glad the festival has still sold easily without the 3rd header, many of which I'm guessing are returning and get it.

Seems unnecessarily ambiguous to me. She could have simply tweeted "contrary to tabloid rumours, Prince is NOT playing at glastonbury nor has he pulled out"

As I posted earlier, my head hurts...!

for the same reason that Emily tweeted about Prince yesterday - so that people aren't buying tickets thinking they're getting a particular thing when they won't be.

It does no one any good to disappoint people, to make them feel like they've been scammed.

That is a positive thing then. I thought they would have the attitude that you know the risks when you buy a ticket.

If this Prince rumour never had any substance whatsoever, then I wonder where it keeps cropping up from every year.

If this Prince rumour never had any substance whatsoever, then I wonder where it keeps cropping up from every year.

I've no idea if there was anything to it this year - I've got zero that indicates there was anything to it (I had lots last year, when there was something to it) - but the rumours often start long before approaches get made, with those rumours coming from people's hopes and expectations to a large extent.

I've no idea if there was anything to it this year - I've got zero that indicates there was anything to it (I had lots last year, when there was something to it) - but the rumours often start long before approaches get made, with those rumours coming from people's hopes and expectations to a large extent.

Interesting - but are you not under the impression that they at least sound out Prince every single year, and have done for the last 20 years+?

Surely they will at least ask the initial question to his people, to gain a general idea of the likelihood of him saying yes. That would mean that they do, in a way, try for him every year, but not actively push for it or even get close, which maybe was the case this year?

if not Prince then surely there must've been another huge-name headliner that they were after initially that eventually turned them down, otherwise there'd be no need for the late announcement of the third headliner (due to, we assume, contractual reasons). they've never catered to a bands need to sell out their own show(s) like this before have they? they'd usually just release the three headliners all together, regardless of if one of them still had a big show close to the festival to sell out

I think as a rock band both AC/DC and Foo's can be enjoyed by 99% of the people who go to Glasto. Your average EDM would probably enjoy going to see both Foo's and AC/DC. Having them both in the same year isn't too bad a call from Glasto

I would happily be with the 1% elsewhere for both

if not Prince then surely there must've been another huge-name headliner that they were after initially that eventually turned them down, otherwise there'd be no need for the late announcement of the third headliner (due to, we assume, contractual reasons). they've never catered to a bands need to sell out their own show(s) like this before have they? they'd usually just release the three headliners all together, regardless of if one of them still had a big show close to the festival to sell out

Surely any pull out must have been recent as the interview that Flo wasn't headlining wasn't that long ago and they'd know who was instead. Foo's and Kanye been booked for ages. Or this really is a rare one like Stereophonics Neil mentoned the other day where they need to wait. As much as FM is a Worldwide Exclusive, after IOW, they clause is surely then gone.

They don't usually chase someone who's billed as an 'exclusive' elsewhere. If they want Blur or Fleetwood Mac then they may have to play along, and they may have known that a long while ago. I'm sure Neil said he heard something about Eavis calling Giddings and 'giving' them FM. Maybe there was more to that conversation than just 'here, you have them'