The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

37 minutes ago, jomilky said:

Ah just noticed it's out of stock, but it's called a Trangia TRANGIA 28 T MINI if you can search for it. There's a pricer one here: https://scandinavianoutdoor.com/trangia/gear/food-and-cooking/stoves/28-t-mini-non-stick/?gclid=CjwKCAjwp7eUBhBeEiwAZbHwkaZIDYJufLMr0Iv2U1cyGzGinxN66OGxuGbNV9UP7C-WRdrdpz2f5xoCVzYQAvD_BwE

Thanks @jomilky, I went for the Firemaple in the end but that looks a lovely bit of kit too. 

Hoping to get some use out of it for general camp outs too. 

4 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Do you have a recommendation?

I'm coming on one of the See Coaches so will need to keep 'bulk' at a minimum!

One of those waterproof picnic blankets underneath the air matress is enough insulation. Also means you have a picnic blanket to use during the day

40 minutes ago, joeltg said:

Thanks @jomilky, I went for the Firemaple in the end but that looks a lovely bit of kit too. 

Hoping to get some use out of it for general camp outs too. 

I've got something similar, the Coleman FyreStorm PCS Stove. Packs up neatly and holds 1.3 litres. Really pleased with it.

21 minutes ago, zico martin said:

I read somewhere that a good tip is to wear a watch to save you checking your phone every 10 minutes and depleting its battery. You guys reckon getting a smart watch would be counter productive?

I love my smart watch but will be disabling the notifications from my phone. I might check it just to see how much sleep I'm (not) getting 😅

Hopefully phone use will be at a bare minimum for me.. 

24 minutes ago, zico martin said:

I read somewhere that a good tip is to wear a watch to save you checking your phone every 10 minutes and depleting its battery. You guys reckon getting a smart watch would be counter productive?

You could just get cheap and by a fitness one. Just one that tells time and counts steps. Doesnt need to be fancy at all, but at least its affordable. And if you got a smart watch it needs to be blue tooth connected to sync with your phone. So then youre wasting your battery that way.

39 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

You could just get cheap and by a fitness one. Just one that tells time and counts steps. Doesnt need to be fancy at all, but at least its affordable. And if you got a smart watch it needs to be blue tooth connected to sync with your phone. So then youre wasting your battery that way.

So a cheap smart watch and disable Bluetooth on my phone then?

8 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I picked up one of the classic casio digital watches for the 2017 festival. The battery is still going strong now. 

Same here for 2016. Eventually lost it in 2019 so recently bought a new one for this year’s festival.

I think some smart watches (Apple?) have rubbish battery life so you’d end up having to charge it. I’ve got a garmin and the battery life is pretty decent and better if you turn off any unnecessary sensors etc. If I didn’t have that though I’d just go with a normal watch. But it’s a good idea so to minimise phone use. I want to see my phone as little as possible over the 5 days (just hoped I don’t get sucked in to checking it for any announcements). 

1 minute ago, PassingCloud said:

I think some smart watches (Apple?) have rubbish battery life so you’d end up having to charge it. I’ve got a garmin and the battery life is pretty decent and better if you turn off any unnecessary sensors etc. If I didn’t have that though I’d just go with a normal watch. But it’s a good idea so to minimise phone use. I want to see my phone as little as possible over the 5 days (just hoped I don’t get sucked in to checking it for any announcements). 

Apple Watch you can put in aeroplane mode … 

• Like 1

I use one of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234118098868?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=h4ilzmisr9-&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=wk5LEfHIRSu&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

It's a basic fitness tracker that's really good value for money. It syncs to your phone but you can put your phone in airplane mode or turn it off and the Mi Band will keep counting your steps and telling you the time. The battery can last for weeks if you turn off the heart rate monitoring. I've had a few generations of them now and find them really useful at festivals for letting me keep my phone in my pocket and only really get it out for taking photos.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Suprefan said:

18 hours ago, zico martin said:

16 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

I picked up one of the classic casio digital watches for the 2017 festival. The battery is still going strong now. 

This is mine:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284820620088?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=284820620088&targetid=293946777986&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1006746&poi=&campaignid=17116423086&mkgroupid=134652533165&rlsatarget=pla-293946777986&abcId=9300856&merchantid=6995734&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0onH6YD99wIV2N_tCh1tMQJsEAQYASABEgIn0_D_BwE 

• Thanks 1

On 5/24/2022 at 5:28 PM, CauliflowerEar said:

Aldi had some cheap camping stuff in the middle aisle today, including cheap tents for about £40. I might go for this model rather than the £18 Halfords one, so if it rains there is less chance of me getting wet.

I was in Aldi today I noticed they had some of these tents left. They are advertised as being a 2 man tent with a claimed weight of 1.75Kg, for £49.99 which is a  spec for a budget tent.  I bought one, more as a possible bike touring tent than for Glastonbury. For the price it appears to be pretty well made,  it has aluminum rather than fibreglass poles, and according to my kitchen scales it really does weigh 1.75kg.

It is a low, wedge shaped design - you would struggle to sit upright when getting dressed in it and if there are two people then there isn't much space for much else. Not much of a porch, and no fresh and black technology here.

However, for going to Glastonbury solo and if weight and packed size (its about 50cm long packed) are your priority, and you can cope with the low height, it might be worth a look at the price.

(picture shamelessly stolen from ALDI)

Adventuridge-2-Man-Tent-F.jpg

Edit: Nothing to do with me, found a YouTube review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXjet5bCeUE

Edited by DarrenVonBoathook
  • Upvote 1

On 5/25/2022 at 7:40 PM, squirrelarmy said:

I have an all black G Shock with a solar panel built in - have never changed the battery since i bought it in 2009. 

Mi Band team checking in 🙂

I've had mine about a year and a half now and it's great, needs charging every two weeks or so, and works fine even if it can't 'see' your phone, so no problems turning off bluetooth to save power.

I use mine for step counting, alarms and timers for when i'm cooking 🙂 (as well as notifications on my phone)

41 minutes ago, paulshane said:

Mi Band team checking in 🙂

I've had mine about a year and a half now and it's great, needs charging every two weeks or so, and works fine even if it can't 'see' your phone, so no problems turning off bluetooth to save power.

I use mine for step counting, alarms and timers for when i'm cooking 🙂 (as well as notifications on my phone)

Does it work with iPhone’s please?

On 5/25/2022 at 5:54 PM, zico martin said:

How come there's a 20 post discussion on smart watches and other b*ll*x yet nobody asking:-

Firstly who told you this and secondly why are you checking your phone every ten minutes? 

Most of us have phones that, especially with settings tweaked will last a day or two on one charge. Twenty quid power bank will charge one or two phones for the whole festival. 

Don't buy more throw away stuff if unnecessary 😊

3 hours ago, clarkete said:

How come there's a 20 post discussion on smart watches and other b*ll*x yet nobody asking:-

Firstly who told you this and secondly why are you checking your phone every ten minutes? 

Most of us have phones that, especially with settings tweaked will last a day or two on one charge. Twenty quid power bank will charge one or two phones for the whole festival. 

Don't buy more throw away stuff if unnecessary 😊

Checking my phone for the time was what I was getting it, I don't think there are many clocks at the festival?

If I buy a watch for this purpose it certainly won't be thrown away until it eventually dies in the future.

• Upvote 1

never wear a watch usually, but it makes it so much easier checking the time at a festival. i've got one of those mi bands someone mentioned earlier, £20 on amazon at the mo

the other great thing about them is they vibrate when someone calls you, comes in very handy when theres no chance of hearing your phone

Flash sale on 20000mAh power banks on Anker's website. Here.

It's the slightly older model so doesn't have super fast charging but it's more than adequate, and a decent capacity. 

Nearly half the price on Amazon right now, and free delivery. Just blagged one for myself and I know others were waiting for the price to drop on Amazon again!

Edited by manc