The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

49 minutes ago, zico martin said:

Checking my phone for the time was what I was getting it, I don't think there are many clocks at the festival?

If I buy a watch for this purpose it certainly won't be thrown away until it eventually dies in the future.

I certainly don't fault you for wanting to know the time. The clashfinder is a cruel mistress after all, I just didn't want you avoid the problem of being a slave to a smartphone battery by becoming a slave to a smartwatch battery 😉

2 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I certainly don't fault you for wanting to know the time. The clashfinder is a cruel mistress after all, I just didn't want you avoid the problem of being a slave to a smartphone battery by becoming a slave to a smartwatch battery 😉

A slightly less smartwatch does last the week (think stepcounter) AND on top of this you can see afterwards how long that walk from John Peel to SE corner took on a saturday evening! I'd be encouraging this so that we can have an ultimate How Long Does It Take reference for 2023 🙂

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2022 at 11:30 PM, squirrelarmy said:

What expected delivery dates have people got for their mystery boxes? I’ve got between the 1st and 9th of June. 

I’m hoping I get something that can be used at the festival. 

Mine arrived today. Some cheap headphones. Could be used at the festival but might not last the whole week 

1 hour ago, moogster said:

A slightly less smartwatch does last the week (think stepcounter) AND on top of this you can see afterwards how long that walk from John Peel to SE corner took on a saturday evening! I'd be encouraging this so that we can have an ultimate How Long Does It Take reference for 2023 🙂

Why have you lazy gits been keeping this plethora of useful information to yourselves in previous years? 

I've got a blank sheet right here 😜

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

Why have you lazy gits been keeping this plethora of useful information to yourselves in previous years? 

I've got a blank sheet right here 😜

Post Glasto blues, not realizing the data is more interesting than " I did 40 000 steps in one day" ...

6 hours ago, manc said:

Flash sale on 20000mAh power banks on Anker's website. Here.

It's the slightly older model so doesn't have super fast charging but it's more than adequate, and a decent capacity. 

Nearly half the price on Amazon right now, and free delivery. Just blagged one for myself and I know others were waiting for the price to drop on Amazon again!

Are you saying the Anker site is half the price of Amazon right now? It's only saying 8% off on the Anker site now... Have I missed it? 

Or you're saying it's £40+ on Amazon? 

5 minutes ago, sam1981 said:

Are you saying the Anker site is half the price of Amazon right now? It's only saying 8% off on the Anker site now... Have I missed it? 

Or you're saying it's £40+ on Amazon? 

That model is £39.99 on Amazon atm (and there's and 8% voucher). You can take the 8% code on the Anker website and buy it for £23.92.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, manc said:

Flash sale on 20000mAh power banks on Anker's website. Here.

It's the slightly older model so doesn't have super fast charging but it's more than adequate, and a decent capacity. 

Nearly half the price on Amazon right now, and free delivery. Just blagged one for myself and I know others were waiting for the price to drop on Amazon again!

Thanks 👍🏻

Seeing that I thought it was possible that 2022 would break my track record and that my previous Glastonbury could have been the last, I've bought myself a beast of a phone so I can ensure I take lots of photos this time, especially with a powerful optical zoom.  The days of me taking a separate camera, managing the power on that and then carrying it around in a bag are long since passed 🙂

Given that I've moved 3 generations from my previous phone and up in size, this means it's got a beast of a battery, which will take longer to charge and therefore I've bought myself one of these, as it's got PD 3 and QC 4 support.  I can't pretend I understand all of these, but it charges itself in just a few hours from a beefy enough socket and in turn can charge the phone (or other device) quickly, whereas my previous Anker model only supports certain technologies (which I think excludes my existing model of phone for quick charging).  Not particularly expensive, seems to get lots of good review and got a few quid off atm.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07YPS5JC5/ 

Edited by clarkete

8 hours ago, clarkete said:

Seeing that I thought it was possible that 2022 would break my track record and that my previous Glastonbury could have been the last, I've bought myself a beast of a phone so I can ensure I take lots of photos this time, especially with a powerful optical zoom.  The days of me taking a separate camera, managing the power on that and then carrying it around in a bag are long since passed 🙂

Given that I've moved 3 generations from my previous phone and up in size, this means it's got a beast of a battery, which will take longer to charge and therefore I've bought myself one of these, as it's got PD 3 and QC 4 support.  I can't pretend I understand all of these, but it charges itself in just a few hours from a beefy enough socket and in turn can charge the phone (or other device) quickly, whereas my previous Anker model only supports certain technologies (which I think excludes my existing model of phone for quick charging).  Not particularly expensive, seems to get lots of good review and got a few quid off atm.

I have bought this one as well. using a PD USB-C to USB-C cable this thing charges my phone very fast, same as a plug socket. Got a 5000mah battery in the phone and each charge uses around 30% so will get 3 and a bit charges over the festival which is good enough for me. Have got an old Anker if I need a bit more but doubt it. 

10 hours ago, zeppelin said:

That model is £39.99 on Amazon atm (and there's and 8% voucher). You can take the 8% code on the Anker website and buy it for £23.92.

How many charges will you get out of it?

I have no idea on these sort of things 😂

2 hours ago, al_coholic said:

I have bought this one as well. using a PD USB-C to USB-C cable this thing charges my phone very fast, same as a plug socket. Got a 5000mah battery in the phone and each charge uses around 30% so will get 3 and a bit charges over the festival which is good enough for me. Have got an old Anker if I need a bit more but doubt it. 

That's great to know, thanks 😊

2 hours ago, JoeyT said:

You don't need to know, if you click on the link to Anker there's a picture giving some examples - which a few models do these days... 

Black-05_c5b5ef0b-eb2f-48d0-b5b2-4b48447

11 hours ago, clarkete said:

This looks like a great piece of kit! 👍

2 hours ago, JoeyT said:

As Clarkete says above... 

11 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Worth noting if you have a Samsung like me, only certain models 'fast charge'. I had to return one and order another one (this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08LG2X98F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Pretty expensive but it's a good bit of kit.

Yes, I believe that's QC quick charge and PD power delivery the two different standards, hence the one you linked is 50 quid, whereas the older model from @zeppelin has same capacity yet vis half the price. 

The one I linked to does both standards, is same capacity and also half the price but it's not an Anker so I won't attempt to vouch for it until I've tested myself. 

4 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Yes, I believe that's QC quick charge and PD power delivery the two different standards, hence the one you linked is 50 quid, whereas the older model from @zeppelin has same capacity yet vis half the price. 

The one I linked to does both standards, is same capacity and also half the price but it's not an Anker so I won't attempt to vouch for it until I've tested myself. 

Yeah. I should probably have shopped around in fairness, I just pulled the trigger as Anker have always served me very well. Their customer service is impeccable as well, if required

18 minutes ago, clarkete said:

There's definitely a premium for the Anker name, but INUI have some great reviews around the web. 

24 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Yeah. I should probably have shopped around in fairness, I just pulled the trigger as Anker have always served me very well. Their customer service is impeccable as well, if required

Yes, still using mine which are many years old, as @zeppelinsays their premium has crept up because so many of us look for their name.  I want it to be cheap enough I won't cry if i lose it 😉

@philipsteakI believe Neil has bought some capacious pack for this year.

About 15 years ago I passed a winnebago on the way through the CV fields and they had their big plasma telly on - in their case I think they didn't need to break the generator rules, they just ran the engine 🙄