The camping essentials - I've found a bargain which you all need to know about thread...

The Other Steve

24 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Bit of a random question here. I have pretty high arches which tends to end with pain in my feet by the end of the festival. I've bought fairly standard arch support insoles previously which have been pretty useless. Anyone else had similar issues and found a decent solution? I'm hoping the fact I have proper walking boots this year as opposed to some £10 wellies will help too 😄 

Get custom insoles made. Game changer. A lot of sports shops will do it for you. 

17 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I think this might have to be the way I go. Have you/someone you know had them? If so do you mind me asking roughly how much you paid?

Few friends have. Don't know how much, sorry, but it ain't cheap. They generally had a pained expression when talking about it. At least not from foot pain though. 

35 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I think this might have to be the way I go. Have you/someone you know had them? If so do you mind me asking roughly how much you paid?

I do but its in Dublin! Physio did it for me when I had a footie injury but I wore them for years playing footie, still do, and at Glasto, on holiday if Im walking a lot etc. I had an IT band injury and it helped fixed it. Stopped pain in my lower back etc. Theyre really good. 

I think I paid about 250 euro but that was 6 or 7 years ago. 

31 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Note sure if this is of use to anyone;

WhatsApp Image 2022-03-03 at 10.24.45.jpeg

No idea, but here's all the ones off my unidays:

15% off Ultimate Outdoors code for anyone that needs - multi use 15UDUO

10% off Go Outdoors code - single use UNI3NEL (message if you need a new one)

18 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

I recall a few years ago when I looked into ordering a quecha fresh and black for the festival there was a collection point in Glastonbury town... now it doesn't seem there is, does anyone know for sure? 

Plenty of Amazon lockers .... but they dont seem to sell fresh and back ..... nor do decathlon deliver to anything there apart from home adresses by the look of it 

15 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

I recall a few years ago when I looked into ordering a quecha fresh and black for the festival there was a collection point in Glastonbury town... now it doesn't seem there is, does anyone know for sure? 

They used to offer InPost locations as an option, but it looks like that's disappeared over the past couple years - nowadays it appears the option is basically their own stores, or Asda supermarkets.

5 minutes ago, incident said:

They used to offer InPost locations as an option, but it looks like that's disappeared over the past couple years - nowadays it appears the option is basically their own stores, or Asda supermarkets.

Hmm yeah I thought the asda supermarkets as well but there's one if those in Bristol, and when I set that as my pickup location it says the closest pickup point is in Cardiff. 

14 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

Hmm yeah I thought the asda supermarkets as well but there's one if those in Bristol, and when I set that as my pickup location it says the closest pickup point is in Cardiff. 

Might be out of stock - perhaps try again closer to the festival?

11 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

Not sure what's happening there then.. I've just tried adding something to the basket and it let me set the Bristol (Bedminster) store and proceed to the payment page.

I assume you're just doing a dry run at this point, most of these collection points have a "we'll hold it for 1 week" limit before sending it back so the situation will likely be different in >3 months time when you come to order.. Decathlon don't usually carry their full camping range and/or launch the new season stuff until around or just after Easter.

18 minutes ago, incident said:

Not sure what's happening there then.. I've just tried adding something to the basket and it let me set the Bristol (Bedminster) store and proceed to the payment page.

I assume you're just doing a dry run at this point, most of these collection points have a "we'll hold it for 1 week" limit before sending it back so the situation will likely be different in >3 months time when you come to order.. Decathlon don't usually carry their full camping range and/or launch the new season stuff until around or just after Easter.

Ah okay, makes sense! 

Yeah was just doing a dry run to see what my options were for pickup... thank you! 

Does anyone have any tips of where to find a decent trolley/cart that's pretty cheap? Everywhere online seems to have them around £60/70 quid at the low end which seems steep, unless I'm wrong and that's a good price

27 minutes ago, Haan said:

Does anyone have any tips of where to find a decent trolley/cart that's pretty cheap? Everywhere online seems to have them around £60/70 quid at the low end which seems steep, unless I'm wrong and that's a good price

It's a balance between buy cheap and have it break before you get your wristband. Or spend more and have it last, maybe.

22 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

It's a balance between buy cheap and have it break before you get your wristband. Or spend more and have it last, maybe.

This. 

You might get lucky with a cheap one and it survives if the weather is dry for 2 weeks before the festival and during, but even then it will have to cope with rough terrain that will rattle it around, while presumably heavily loaded. The cheap ones don't stand up to much punishment. 

3 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

This. 

You might get lucky with a cheap one and it survives if the weather is dry for 2 weeks before the festival and during, but even then it will have to cope with rough terrain that will rattle it around, while presumably heavily loaded. The cheap ones don't stand up to much punishment. 

Yes - the point I always try and push home is that any stated load bearing capacity will have been calculated assuming it's been evenly loaded, and is being used on a perfectly flat and smooth surface.

The second you take it off-road, or load it in the way that most people going to a festival do, then that weight limit needs to be assumed to be at minimum cut in half and depending on the construction of the thing often much lower than half.

On 3/6/2022 at 10:18 PM, Stokesy10 said:

Having done the last few festivals on. 5cm self inflating mat I think you’d be absolutely fine with just the mat. They really are great and the benefit you would get out the bed vs having to carrying it might not be worth it. I don’t think you’ll notice the different between the floor and the bed with the mat on. Just thought I’d mention it. 

58 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I’m in the market for a new day bag.

Anyone got any recommendations? 

For quality I’d recommend Osprey. 
If you want a cheap but roomy one there’s a rugby brand called VX3 which makes a backpack I have. It’s got loads of room in it, has really well padded straps and it’s pretty good quality for the money. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/9/2022 at 10:26 AM, Haan said:

I think I paid £55 for ours about 7 years ago - it has proper tyres and a fold down handle so I would think they are around £60/£70 now as everything is more expensive anyway