Films

Rufus Gwertigan

Meet The Robinsons is totally good from what I remember. Though its in that early cg animation phase that might look a bit dated now.

Started my Halloween challenge last night, watched The Burbs and Psycho 3. Really enjoyed both. The Psycho sequels in particular deserve more attention than they have got. They aren't Hitchcock but they're far from crappy cash ins either. 

• 2 weeks later...

The new Borat film is very very funny. The shock value of the first film is no longer there (for the most part) but it still holds up despite clearly having to work around covid and other changing circumstances throughout the year. I was expecting to be disappointed but it was better than it had any right to be.

Yeah the new Borat flick is good. I was watching the first 20/30 mins and I thought it was going to repeat the same jokes as before but I like how they managed to weave an actual narrative to it unlike the first one which just felt like a series of skits. It's nice they used the hidden camera stuff to show more than how ignorant people are and manages to get some really touching moments out of it too.

5 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

The new Borat film is very very funny. The shock value of the first film is no longer there (for the most part) but it still holds up despite clearly having to work around covid and other changing circumstances throughout the year. I was expecting to be disappointed but it was better than it had any right to be.

4 hours ago, jump said:

Yeah the new Borat flick is good. I was watching the first 20/30 mins and I thought it was going to repeat the same jokes as before but I like how they managed to weave an actual narrative to it unlike the first one which just felt like a series of skits. It's nice they used the hidden camera stuff to show more than how ignorant people are and manages to get some really touching moments out of it too.

Yeah I really liked it. It’s a shame that more of his comedy has to be staged now, but I guess it has the same effect. We will never see him get away with truly pranking people again.

It was very topical too, and strange to see COVID play such a huge part in a films narrative. It definitely feels like the pandemic / post pandemic era is going to be a huge period in art, literature and media. It will be one that is studied by arts students in the distant future - almost like it’s bringing out new waves of critical theory.

Overall - I think SBC is a total genius at this point. His comedy hits the right notes with me because I love comedy that really has a message. 

Yeah Borat was much better than expected, more of a complete film that I anticipated as well.

Sacha was already in my good books for his performance in The Trial Of The Chicago 7 which is now on Netflix, I really recommend that as well. Caught it at the cinema a few weeks ago and yeah really enjoyed it. Sorkin gets a lot of stick but he's alright in my books.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been on a tear of watching movies this weekend.

Scare Me, it's an indie movie with Stromfront from The Boys, was really fucking good. It's just two writers telling stories to try and scare each other but with the camera tricks, editing and the actors going for it as they tell the stories really makes it come alive.

The Runaways, a bio flick about the band which was a bit shit. The band members themselves were so wooden to really care about them.

The Big Short, the most exciting dull film I've ever seen. I loved the way it's explains the technical concepts by doing random thing like having Margot Robbie taking a bath as she's explaining something to keep your attention.

The Man With The Iron Fists, RZA from Wu Tang made a kung fu movie and it was just shit loads of fun and you can tell they have just genuine love for kung fu movies.

The Legend of Billie Jean, I'm surprised how much I liked this as it seemed stupid from the story. I can see a modern day remake with social media taking the place of tv news coverage.

Toy Story 4, it might actually be my favorite from all the films although they cast Doctor Psycho from Harley Quinn as one of the characters so I kept expecting him to say vile bigoted things all the time.

Ready Or Not, I was expecting this to be a generic cheap horror thriller but it was really good.

The Hunt, decent and I like the twist of it's not being evil rich right wingers hunting people.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Homer said:

If anyone has got Amazon Prime, Knives Out was THE best film of 2019 and it's free on there. Highly recommended.

I'd probably rank Parasite as the best film of 2019 myself but Knives Out was fantastic. I was kinda disappointed it wasn't a straight murder mystery though as I was looking forward to trying to figure it out.

On 11/15/2020 at 1:36 PM, jump said:

The Big Short, the most exciting dull film I've ever seen. I loved the way it's explains the technical concepts by doing random thing like having Margot Robbie taking a bath as she's explaining something to keep your attention.

Margin Call is a good companion film for the financial crisis, but Dark Waters is a contender for the best docudrama. Polution and evil in Big Chem (believe it or not!). If you haven't seen it... see it. Has Mark Ruffalo in non-annoying mode.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, viberunner said:

Margin Call is a good companion film for the financial crisis, but Dark Waters is a contender for the best docudrama. Polution and evil in Big Chem (believe it or not!). If you haven't seen it... see it. Has Mark Ruffalo in non-annoying mode.

Dark Waters is on my list to watch already and cheers for the recommendation for Margin Call. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Padjeq said:

I decided I'd pay and go and watch Wonder Woman at the ODEON given Cineworld has closed itself (i've got unlimited), but I forgot I'm in a Tier 3. Just wanna see Diana with massive shoulder pads.

Seems weird they aren't opening for Wonder Woman. I know they said they were going to open again once Bond is out but with two big budget movies in Wonder Woman and Monster Hunter (which looks shit but people ate up those Resident Evil movies) both out in Dec I would have thought it be worth it.

17 hours ago, jump said:

Seems weird they aren't opening for Wonder Woman. I know they said they were going to open again once Bond is out but with two big budget movies in Wonder Woman and Monster Hunter (which looks shit but people ate up those Resident Evil movies) both out in Dec I would have thought it be worth it.

The tiers business has shagged everything up. We could all be in Tier 3 come Wonder Woman release day and cineworld reopening would've been a costly waste of time.