2017 Get Fit Thread

Kay95

Haven't posted in quite a while, been back to lurking, but I need to get on board with this, last year's Glasto was the first where I really felt like my fitness (or lack thereof) was slowing me down!

Always been fairly consistent with going to the gym, but have been getting slack of late.

Back to a minimum of 4 sessions per week, mainly weightlifting with a fairly high intensity to help burn those calories. I don't weigh myself, but hoping to lean out over the next few months.

@Funkyfairy!Whole30 sounds really interesting, just been on their website. Tempted to give it a go!

What have you been having for Breakfast on it?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lost 3 stone two years ago and then, obviously, put two of them back on last year.  So dry for January (as much to prove I can do it as anything else) and back on the 5:2 (which did the trick last time).  Oh, and back on the rowing machine three or four times a week for half an hour or so.  So far I've lost just over half a stone since the New Year - if I can lose the two stone I put back on, that'll do me.

16 minutes ago, Skoo said:

Haven't posted in quite a while, been back to lurking, but I need to get on board with this, last year's Glasto was the first where I really felt like my fitness (or lack thereof) was slowing me down!

Always been fairly consistent with going to the gym, but have been getting slack of late.

Back to a minimum of 4 sessions per week, mainly weightlifting with a fairly high intensity to help burn those calories. I don't weigh myself, but hoping to lean out over the next few months.

@Funkyfairy!Whole30 sounds really interesting, just been on their website. Tempted to give it a go!

What have you been having for Breakfast on it?

I am loving it Skoo, and I didn;t for one minute think I would, or even think I would be able to do it. 16 days in and people are commenting how 'fresh' I look and how alive and that can surely only be a good thing. I have so much more energy, the first week was hard but after that not an issue. Really hard to have a food/drink based social life on it, but if you can put 30 days aside I think its going to be worth it. Post 30 days I will go back out for meals etc , but choose carefully and not to excess

Breakfasts have been either, eggs with smoked salmon, spinach and avacado, or fruit with nuts, or a fruit/veg smoothie. Weekends eggs, mushrooms, tomato , sometimes bacon from the local pig farm, or an omlette

Nice to see you back Skoo :)

Mine's not so much a get fit as get back to a level of fitness I haven't had for a couple of years.  The combination of semi-retiring from rugby, changing jobs a few times and general lack of routine has meant that I've gradually lost it bit by bit.  Not put weight on, just lost muscle mass, strength and fitness :(

Christmas is always a good time to take stock and get back on it, but I don't hold with resolutions as such! So it's back to rugby, ideally a couple of games a month, cycling to work once a week (20 miles each way), hitting weights int he gym most mornings, and getting back to running once a week. Also heading to the village community centre this weekend as the boxing club is selling a couple of punchbags, hopefully pick one up for the garage!

Foodwise it's a mass cooking session on a Sunday so breakfasts, lunches and snacks are done and tubbed up for the week ahead, so no need to buy crap food I don't want.  Going back to 90% veggie as well, so that's a lot of beans and lentils!

General approach is to get routine sorted, then tweak it bit by bit.  Big bang changes are never sustainable for me :)

EDIT - part of this is going to be working out some actual goals.  Always good to work towards something.

Edited by Quark

I managed to shift 3 stone between January and the festival last year.  It was a mix of gym sessions, change of diet (eggs/spinach/porridge for breakfast, chicken/veg/rice for lunch, etc) and biggest of all, cutting out chocolate bars entirely. 

Since then a stone has crept back on (although I've still not had a bar of chocolate for over a year), so I'm going back to my tried and trusted method of running silly distances.

I've got the Bath Half Marathon in March, followed by the Stirling Scottish Marathon at the end of May.  If that doesn't help me shift a few pounds before the festival, then god help me.  On the plus side, my legs won't complain about 10+ miles/day around the site!

26 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

I am loving it Skoo, and I didn;t for one minute think I would, or even think I would be able to do it. 16 days in and people are commenting how 'fresh' I look and how alive and that can surely only be a good thing. I have so much more energy, the first week was hard but after that not an issue. Really hard to have a food/drink based social life on it, but if you can put 30 days aside I think its going to be worth it. Post 30 days I will go back out for meals etc , but choose carefully and not to excess

Breakfasts have been either, eggs with smoked salmon, spinach and avacado, or fruit with nuts, or a fruit/veg smoothie. Weekends eggs, mushrooms, tomato , sometimes bacon from the local pig farm, or an omlette

I'm keen to give this a go. I think I have some intolerances, often get major bloating and presume it's probably either wheat or dairy that causes it.

Going to do some more reading and pick a good time to start. Did you subscribe to their meal planning thingy or just wing it?

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

Nice to see you back Skoo :)

Mine's not so much a get fit as get back to a level of fitness I haven't had for a couple of years.  The combination of semi-retiring from rugby, changing jobs a few times and general lack of routine has meant that I've gradually lost it bit by bit.  Not put weight on, just lost muscle mass, strength and fitness :(

Christmas is always a good time to take stock and get back on it, but I don't hold with resolutions as such! So it's back to rugby, ideally a couple of games a month, cycling to work once a week (20 miles each way), hitting weights int he gym most mornings, and getting back to running once a week. Also heading to the village community centre this weekend as the boxing club is selling a couple of punchbags, hopefully pick one up for the garage!

Foodwise it's a mass cooking session on a Sunday so breakfasts, lunches and snacks are done and tubbed up for the week ahead, so no need to buy crap food I don't want.  Going back to 90% veggie as well, so that's a lot of beans and lentils!

General approach is to get routine sorted, then tweak it bit by bit.  Big bang changes are never sustainable for me :)

Thanks! Didn't know you play rugby. Do you not constantly injure yourself? It looks brutal! 

1 minute ago, Skoo said:

Thanks! Didn't know you play rugby. Do you not constantly injure yourself? It looks brutal! 

Ha!  That's kind of been the problem over the years. I could do you a list, but it'd take a while.

I had a really bad season back in 2011/12 when everything fell apart.  I got a scratched cornea which was thoroughly unpleasant (genuinely thought I'd lost an eye at first), then put my back out, then on the first training session back my knee went.  That finished my season off, so I took the next year off completely and been playing on and off ever since.

Was going to play more this year, but then got badly tackled by a team mate in training and was out for 2 months with a shoulder injury!

Trouble is that, injuries aside, it's bloody addictive. It's something I've been doing for more than 25 years, so the idea of not being a rugby player anymore just doesn't compute!

I lost a total of 2st 3lbs last year with Slimming world - about a stone and a half before the festival then went up and down a bit with summer holidays etc. I'm 4lbs from my official target and now trying to build in more exercise. 

2015 was my first year and although I loved it my weight was holding me back a bit. I'm only short so don't exactly have space to put a few extra lbs. I'm not sure I'd have coped with the mud last year if I hand't. . 

40 minutes ago, Skoo said:

I'm keen to give this a go. I think I have some intolerances, often get major bloating and presume it's probably either wheat or dairy that causes it.

Going to do some more reading and pick a good time to start. Did you subscribe to their meal planning thingy or just wing it?

winging it- you don;t need a meal plan. Having said that I am doing it through the local gym so got a 485 page booklet to read, which explains the whys and wherefores, and has some recipes in it which are good for ideas

I have about 30kg to lose in total, but Im trying not to think too hard about the end .  But by doing intermittent fasting -2 x 24 hour fasts each week, 1600 cals roughly for the other 4 days plus a bit of a blow out on a saturday , ive lost 3kg since xmas.  I'm trying 3x alcohol free days a week, plus a couple of short sharp exercise bike sessions during the week with a longer proper bike ride at the weekend.  

When im exercise biking i am watchin videos of glastonbury to give me the motivation cos i remember how nice it feels to be lighter when im there, and how bloody hard it is when you're heavier!

Best of luck to you, its bloody hard, but will be worth it!

I try and lose weight with exercise , but the type 1 diabetes causes issues with this !! and exercise causes low blood sugar which I have to eat to resolve !! so I consistently sit at 95kg and fluctuate a couple of kgs around this !! but on a positive I'm 6ft 1 so only a little overweight but would like to drop 5kg !! just doesn't seem possible !!

Gradually phasing myself into a better lifestyle. Aim is to lose 4.5 stone between now and Glastonbury, which should hopefully be manageable. Despite being sporty I'm a very large bloke, massive binge drinker and comfort eater. I lost around 5 stone three years ago, but it's come back on since and I'm back where I started.

No real plan as such, just looking to cut out all the junk, and go for as much non-processed foods as possible. Going to rejoin the gym and hopefully go at least 2/3 times a week in addition to footy and cricket as well. I just need to stick to my plan, now I've started posting on here a bit more hopefully I can get bullied into it!

Good thread! It's nice to see other people trying to do the same. I'm hoping to lose a couple of stone by Glastonbury and in time to get fitted for a bridesmaid dress around the same time. I've actually dragged my arse back to the gym as I'd been doing the bare minimum of around 1 class a week. I'm going most mornings before work now and trying to do a mix of swimming, spin and running. Hoping to start some strength stuff soon! Want to be fitter by glasto to manage the site as easily as I can. The diets had a massive overhaul as well, i'd gotten majorly lazy the past few months and put a fair bit of weight on. Onwards and upwards everyone! 

There are 20 weeks to go - sustainable weight loss is to aim for 2lb a week so that's 2.5 stone or thereabouts. My main problem is I'm lazy and hate exercise even though I eat mainly healthy and drink not much alcohol. Unfortunately middle age spread has arrived and I know I have to exercise as well but I hate it:(  I am aiming for at least a stone and to be able to walk up a hill without being out of breath! Hopefully will be more motivated when the weather cheers up a bit!! 

I used to try dieting very low cal - like 1200 calories per day - but it was horrible and my weight loss plateaued.

I was also gymming a few times a week and not seeing the results I wanted. In the end I forked out for a personal trainer, and it really did end up being money well spent.

She got me to keep a food diary and found I was eating so few calories that my metabolism had become sluggish - which meant that when I DID binge on a load of chocolate or whatever, it was sticking to me!

She got me eating 6 times per day, with every meal containing protein, and I was on about 1800 cals.

This, combined with HEAVY weight lifting saw the fat melt off me. At one point I was scarily lean, around 3 years ago, to the point where my friends were asking me to give it a rest, it does get a bit addictive once you get into weighing your food out and counting macros.

Sadly, after a year of training together, my PT ended up moving to another county and since then, the weight has slowly crept back on, despite me trying to keep up the training and eating. It does make me get a bit annoyed with myself because I know I can do it, I've just gotten back into bad habits.

I'm now back to prepping my food for the week on Sundays, so all my lunches are covered.

I'm also stocking up on stuff I can snack on at my desk - mainly nuts, rice cakes and beef jerky. 

Another little trick I do is make a soup at work using veg stock and water from the kettle, just in a mug. It's about 5 calories per spoon, but tastes really nice, and seems to satisfy savoury cravings pretty nicely. Not quite as nicely as a big bag of crisps of course...

The holy grail for me would be to find something that will satisfy my sweet tooth, for after dinner, that isn't laden with calories. At the moment I'm doing greek yoghurt with a bit of jam mixed in for sweetness but it's not exactly ben and jerry's.

I'll let you all know if I stumble upon something worth eating!

30 minutes ago, Skoo said:

The holy grail for me would be to find something that will satisfy my sweet tooth, for after dinner, that isn't laden with calories. At the moment I'm doing greek yoghurt with a bit of jam mixed in for sweetness but it's not exactly ben and jerry's.

banana pancakes

22 hours ago, joeltg said:

I have also been attending AA as last year became a real danger....excessive drinking. Damn addictive personality.

Good for you Joel. Hope you stay healthy.

My own regime is just to do as much walking as possible before June. When its muddy its a bit of a challenge at my age.

14 hours ago, Purple aki squat said:

Out of interest, what are people lifting?

just curious x

Got a new bench last week. Lifting fuck all. Thats a mugs game. 35kg ish + the bar, high reps, short breaks. Bench press, upright row, bent over dumbbell rows, dumbbell flyes, curls, leg extensions, squats, calf raises. One day upper body one day lower. 20 mins tops each day. Haven't done weights in ages so quite sore initially. 

Sound like a real workout guy reading that back. I'm not.

I do love "what are you benching" as a conversation opener to strangers though. 

Edited by The Nal