The Variety Bazaar

JoeyT

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

has Emily said they'll be further Glastonbury festivals at worthy farm?

Or has Emily only said that Glastonbury Festival will always be at worthy farm?

The first gives a statement of intent of Glastonbury Festival continuing, while the 2nd does not.

I think the whole thing is worded in such a way to give a sense that they know what's coming when they actually don't when it comes to Glastonbury. I'm sure there are lots of talks etc. going on that we will not be privy to for some time.

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

The way everyone is going on here, you'd have thought none of us has ever been to another festival with nice scenery.

A new location may not have the history, but it may well be beautiful. And with the Glastonbury team, it might be shit hot. Let's wait to see what it's like before deciding we'll never ever go.

I'd have thought that a significant number of people off here would consider going.  I'm pretty sure I would - at least the first time.  It's not "Glastonbury" but the team know how to put on a good festival and I don't think a change of location would change that.  I imagine it will sell out, probably not as quickly as Glastonbury does, but that's better than some other more established festivals manage.

If it does sell out, and is well received, and is less hassle to put on - then why go back to the farm?  From a purely business point of view there is no reason to.

I don't think people are overreacting at all to be honest. Regardless of where it moves to and how that festival goes, it isn't Glastonbury. They can helicopter the Pyramid to another location and the rest of it.. but it isn't Glastonbury. The thought of 2017 potentially being the last Glastonbury at Worthy farm, which isn't out the realms of possibility going off the Eavi's conflicting statements, is a very grim thought.

It's not just about scenery, that festival site means so much to people for so many different reasons. From a personal perspective, I probably will attend the new festival in 2019 (if that's when it's going to be), out of curiosity if nothing else but the thought of potentially never returning to Worthy Farm.. it doesn't get much more depressing 

1 minute ago, mufcok said:

the thought of potentially never returning to Worthy Farm.. it doesn't get much more depressing 

Yep it's a grim thought indeed. But we've just lost david bowie, prince, leonard cohen and all the rest. We shouldnt really be surprised to see glastonbury go the same way. We are now well and truly in an era where a constant stream of death and misery will prevail. Until we ourselves die.

Emily must be getting tired of "clarifying her fathers statements" at this stage. :lol:

the thought of potentially never returning to Worthy Farm.. it doesn't get much more depressing 

Thankfully its total BS then!

The festival are masters at PR in fairness to them. Never seen anything that can get so many column inches with so few words. 

Edited by The Nal

2 minutes ago, mufcok said:

It's not just about scenery, that festival site means so much to people for so many different reasons. From a personal perspective, I probably will attend the new festival in 2019 (if that's when it's going to be), out of curiosity if nothing else but the thought of potentially never returning to Worthy Farm.. it doesn't get much more depressing 

I dunno.  If (big if) they can capture the feel of Glastonbury without having to sit on the bastard A303....I could live with that :)

Thing is, I've only been 5 times since 2009 (this will be my sixth) so I don't have the massive nostalgia for the site that some may have, but even in that time it's become so familiar. There's just something about it being in the place and with the layout it's got.

If they end up with a hugely reduced Glastonbury at Worthy Farm that cuts out all the issues with other landowners, and a larger Variety Bazaar or whatever they call it to replicate the size and scale somewhere else, Id probably give both of them a go.

As it stands I'm prepared to be absolutely spangled and in bits come Sunday night this year if they do make the announcement.  But hey, it had to end sometime right?

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Emily must be getting tired of "clarifying her fathers statements" at this stage. :lol:

The festival are masters at PR in fairness to them. Never seen anything that can get so many column inches with so few words. 

Wish I shared your enthusiasm, I am starting to fear the worst. I'm gonna need more than that statement from Emily to convince me

5 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Yep it's a grim thought indeed. But we've just lost david bowie, prince, leonard cohen and all the rest. We shouldnt really be surprised to see glastonbury go the same way. We are now well and truly in an era where a constant stream of death and misery will prevail. Until we ourselves die.

I love this guy 

Just now, Quark said:

I dunno.  If (big if) they can capture the feel of Glastonbury without having to sit on the bastard A303....I could live with that :)

Thing is, I've only been 5 times since 2009 (this will be my sixth) so I don't have the massive nostalgia for the site that some may have, but even in that time it's become so familiar. There's just something about it being in the place and with the layout it's got.

If they end up with a hugely reduced Glastonbury at Worthy Farm that cuts out all the issues with other landowners, and a larger Variety Bazaar or whatever they call it to replicate the size and scale somewhere else, Id probably give both of them a go.

As it stands I'm prepared to be absolutely spangled and in bits come Sunday night this year if they do make the announcement.  But hey, it had to end sometime right?

They wouldn't do that surely.. could tip a few over the edge that, literally

7 minutes ago, russycarps said:

U ok Hun?

Not sure if discussed - but would be interesting to see how a move will affect ticket prices.

Isn't the rent paid to current landowners at Worthy relatively low, and they are beginning to demand more - hence the stand off?

If this is the case, then a new venue will likely cost more in rent than they are currently paying. So if they want to keep it to the same magnitude (e.g. number and quality of acts, areas etc) then we could be looking at crossing the £300 barrier for a ticket. 

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

i'm sure they just sit round the table decided what few words they can drop to cause the maximum chaos, they must see how much people wind themselves up and probably do it for a laugh to get through the winter months :lol:

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

has Emily said they'll be further Glastonbury festivals at worthy farm?

Or has Emily only said that Glastonbury Festival will always be at worthy farm?

The first gives a statement of intent of Glastonbury Festival continuing, while the 2nd does not.

This reads to me that the historical location of Glastonbury will always be Pilton, with no guarantee of continuity. It is deliberately ambiguous so as not to burn any bridges and reveal that a definitive decision has been made about its future.