Headliner predictions 2017

swede

14 hours ago, Odessa said:

Biffy Clyro still headlining stuff is particularly baffling, they should be dropping down lineups now, what I heard of their last effort was unbelievably bland.

Last album was pretty good IMO. I saw them on their last tour as they have refined their live act to a really solid level. I'd still love to see them headline the pyramid in 2019.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are The Who not mod rock rather than power pop? Just to be an annoying little pedant.

Your point is absolutely valid though. And to be honest I don't think there's anything wrong with it. The average person goes to Glastonbury expecting headliners that fall in to those genres. There are 100s of other stages where other genres are represented. If you have a Glastonbury ticket and are disappointed that the headliners are all bands that fall in to the rock/indie genre, I'd say have a look at that list of recent headliners and a) think whether there are other festivals that better suit your taste, or b ) spend more time looking at the rest of the lineup and venture away from he main stage.

Some geezer with a guitar round a campfire is very Glastonbury...but put that same bloke on the pyramid its wrong. Why? I'm not bothered either way by him to be honest, likely my daughters will want to see him and I'd take him over Radiohead listening wise. People don't need to be shoehorned into liking just one genre. And the talk of manufactured pop acts...well wasn't there some clamour for a Kylie appearance - are we forgetting the SWA (saw?)era?

Edited by slash's hat

19 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I've said this several times already but just to confirm I can't stand Ed Sheeran and I won't be there. Actually, saying I can't stand him is a bit strong, I just find his music bland and uninteresting and it does nothing for me.

However I think that people who feel he doesn't deserve to headline are perhaps living in the past and think that Glastonbury is something it no longer is. They've repeatedly broken down boundaries over the years and I think the only type of act that you could (hopefully) comfortably say will never headline, would be an X-factor type manufactured band, and even then you never know.

Jst because you don't personally like him and he doesn't fit in with your idea of a headliner doesn't mean he doesn't deserve to headline. Obviously if it was down to each of us individually we'd all pick three very different headliners that suited our own tastes, but it doesn't work like that and each headliner is always there in merit even if we don't personally like them.

Good point but the truth is if an act is big enough these days they'll headline which is cool. If Harry from One Direction ends up as big as Ed Sheeran (and he might with Max Martin on board) he'll probably headline (hey he co-writes and plays guitar too). I just wish the festival would still give more up and coming acts (like Foals and The XX) the chance to step up again like they did in the past.

11 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

Good point but the truth is if an act is big enough these days they'll headline which is cool. If Harry from One Direction ends up as big as Ed Sheeran (and he might with Max Martin on board) he'll probably headline (hey he co-writes and plays guitar too). I just wish the festival would still give more up and coming acts (like Foals and The XX) the chance to step up again like they did in the past.

I get what you are saying that giving up and coming bands a headline slot is nice. However this year you can't criticise the bookings, it's not all repeat lazy bookings , they've booked two first timers who are massive. They can't say actually you're a bit to successful to headline Glastonbury. 

3 hours ago, reflekting said:

Last album was pretty good IMO. I saw them on their last tour as they have refined their live act to a really solid level. I'd still love to see them headline the pyramid in 2019.

Saw them at War Child, what I liked was very good but new stuff is guff.

1 hour ago, slash's hat said:

Some geezer with a guitar round a campfire is very Glastonbury...but put that same bloke on the pyramid its wrong. Why? I'm not bothered either way by him to be honest, likely my daughters will want to see him and I'd take him over Radiohead listening wise. People don't need to be shoehorned into liking just one genre. And the talk of manufactured pop acts...well wasn't there some clamour for a Kylie appearance - are we forgetting the SWA (saw?)era?

This is what I don't get, on here you need to almost like one type of music or you need to be a 6 Music listener or you listen to shit. The biggest point here is that Ed isn't even a manufactured pop act, he writes his own songs. Twin Atlantic are more a manufactured act as their status was slipping down the shifter and their management tells then what to sing and there we are radio friendly pop....but because they have guitars etc....I think it's forgot Sheeran has this too then they are more credible, but that is just an example.

54 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

Any act that has been given the bump up chance anytime in the last 10 years are bigger than those two, FATM being the questionable one but I think they still are.

18 hours ago, Odessa said:

Ah yeah I misinterpreted what you meant by Europe, yeah can defo see that happening. It's a shame we hang on to bands for so long over here. Acts like them and Kasabian can put out any old shite and face seemingly no consequences in terms of their ticket selling abilities. I'm guilty of it too tbf as I attended the Drones tour, albeit through a reduced second hand ticket. Never again though and I won't pay to see Kasabian away from a festival either. Biffy Clyro still headlining stuff is particularly baffling, they should be dropping down lineups now, what I heard of their last effort was unbelievably bland. But like I said about there being so many festivals, someone is probably going to want you, hence bands can stay at that level for longer. Hopefully IoW disappears soon if only to improve that a little bit. I can't imagine many people would miss a festival with a lineup as poor as theirs, especially as it sounds like it's corporate as fuck there.

There's just no reason for festivals to take a risk if stale bookings like Eminem get you a day ticket sell out within a couple of weeks I guess. I like that US festivals have been quick to give 21 Pilots and Chance headline slots, that's what should have happened last year here with the likes of The 1975. 

The reason a lot of these stale older acts still get headline status is because their back catalogues are far better than the music some of current acts are able to produce. Plus because they have been around longer, they are more experienced and better from a live perspective.

Now heavy rock/metal or what ever you wish to call it is not my thing. Yet there is a reason why Guns and Roses are still a headline act, while Royal Blood MAY end up a headline act. Guns and Roses have undeniable classic tunes to call upon, where as Royal Blood have a clutch of instantly forgetable tunes. They may go on to write a shit load of classics that will still be played on the radio 30 years from now. Its up to the up and comers to produce the tunes which will cement their status as headline acts, rather than being this weeks flash in the pan. Otherwise people will keep booking the safety net of established acts with a plethora of classics.

11 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

In the 90s it most certainly was, everyone pretty much moved to CDs

Not from a djing perspective though. If you were a dj in the 90's and even into the noughties then you used vinyl.

Djing then was not a cool thing back in the day. You had to be an obsessive geek.

Some kid called me a hipster because of I collect vinyl and spin using turntables. I thought it was quite funny considering I had been doing it pretty much longer than he had been alive and when I started there was no such thing as cd decks or digital controllers.

It is a mad then to think I have gone from being considered a geek to a hipster :-D

1 minute ago, eastynh said:

Not from a djing perspective though. If you were a dj in the 90's and even into the noughties then you used vinyl.

Djing then was not a cool thing back in the day. You had to be an obsessive geek.

Some kid called me a hipster because of I collect vinyl and spin using turntables. I thought it was quite funny considering I had been doing it pretty much longer than he had been alive and when I started there was no such thing as cd decks or digital controllers.

It is a mad then to think I have gone from being considered a geek to a hipster :-D

I wasn't really talking about DJs tbh but get your point.

it's funny a friend of mine had someone say the same to them even though they have been playing vinyl since early 90s too 

5 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

I wasn't really talking about DJs tbh but get your point.

it's funny a friend of mine had someone say the same to them even though they have been playing vinyl since early 90s too 

The whole vinyl V digital debate from a dj perspective is a touchy subject. A lot of vinyl dj's sneer and look down their noses at digital dj's. Digital djing is frowned upon and many people consider it easy and not very skillful.

I personally consider digital djing a different kind of skill. Plus when djing to a crowd, the skill is in what tune you play and when you play it, not how tight you can beat mix. I play vinyl because  I very rarely play out any more, it is what I am used to and it is undeniably so much more fun. Plus advances in electronic and digital technologies will keep me in a job :-D

1 minute ago, eastynh said:

The whole vinyl V digital debate from a dj perspective is a touchy subject. A lot of vinyl dj's sneer and look down their noses at digital dj's. Digital djing is frowned upon and many people consider it easy and not very skillful.

I personally consider digital djing a different kind of skill. Plus when djing to a crowd, the skill is in what tune you play and when you play it, not how tight you can beat mix. I play vinyl because  I very rarely play out any more, it is what I am used to and it is undeniably so much more fun. Plus advances in electronic and digital technologies will keep me in a job :-D

I digital DJ for fun, using serato. The reason I do is that when I finally got my arse into gear and took it up as a hobby it seemed daft to learn using vinyl or even CDs when I could learn using MP3s that I could instantly download. I would've liked to have learnt to DJ with vinyl but it would've been hugely impractical and expensive. I can see why there is a snobbery from Vinyl purists over digital Djs, but the truth is they are just denying themselves access to some brilliant tools that would enable them to DJ to a much better standard.

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I digital DJ for fun, using serato. The reason I do is that when I finally got my arse into gear and took it up as a hobby it seemed daft to learn using vinyl or even CDs when I could learn using MP3s that I could instantly download. I would've liked to have learnt to DJ with vinyl but it would've been hugely impractical and expensive. I can see why there is a snobbery from Vinyl purists over digital Djs, but the truth is they are just denying themselves access to some brilliant tools that would enable them to DJ to a much better standard.

I don't think it would ever make you dj to a better standard. The best dj's instinctively know how to pace a set, what tune to play and they take you on a journey. That has absolutely nothing to do with what equipment used to play the tunes.

The equipment does not make the dj. I would rather listen to a dj play a superb set which takes you on a journey of highs and lows, using Ableton, than listen to a dj who plays a beat perfect set of dull shit tunes on vinyl.

22 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The bolded bit is one thing where digital dj's miss out in comparison to vinyl ones. The whole aspect of buying and collecting vinyl is the best part of the whole thing. I have travelled all over the country and gone rooting for vinyl everywhere. There is no better feeling than routing through a box of dusty records and striking gold. There is the whole social aspect of buying vinyl and I have made so many friends from it, it is unreal. I started off buying the tunes I loved on vinyl, I had absolutely no intention of djing what so ever. Over the last 5 or so years I have hardly dj'ed at all, even at home (I did not even have any decks set up till I bought a new pair a couple of weeks ago), yet I have continued buying records no matter what.

Digital dj's who just download tunes at home will never get to experience that side of things and I do feel sorry for them. It is that aspect where I feel digital dj's really lose out in relation to vinyl dj's.

I also find it amusing that I've been in to the same stuff for 20+ years, yet the social stereotype I fall under constantly changes. All of a sudden I'm a huge hipster because I own a Super Famicom and listen to Radiohead. 10 years ago I'd be a major dork.

Funny how that works.

19 minutes ago, jparx said:

I also find it amusing that I've been in to the same stuff for 20+ years, yet the social stereotype I fall under constantly changes. All of a sudden I'm a huge hipster because I own a Super Famicom and listen to Radiohead. 10 years ago I'd be a major dork.

Funny how that works.

I find it hard to believe you have been anything other than hip mate :-)

7 hours ago, jparx said:

Are The Who not mod rock rather than power pop? Just to be an annoying little pedant.

Your point is absolutely valid though. And to be honest I don't think there's anything wrong with it. The average person goes to Glastonbury expecting headliners that fall in to those genres. There are 100s of other stages where other genres are represented. If you have a Glastonbury ticket and are disappointed that the headliners are all bands that fall in to the rock/indie genre, I'd say have a look at that list of recent headliners and a) think whether there are other festivals that better suit your taste, or b ) spend more time looking at the rest of the lineup and venture away from he main stage.

No, please be pedantic, I was hoping someone would give a better description for the Who :lol:

Apparently Townshend coined the term "power pop", according to legend. No idea if true, but when you say that genre, I think mainly of The Cars and latterly, Weezer.