Acts Touring Around Glastonbury 2016

Gnomicide

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

definitely don't expect Feeder at Glastonbury. where the hell would they even play these days? haven't played since 2003 when they were third down on the Pyramid. would make a good Other opener, though (although a wasted one as bottom of Other seems about right for them these days anyway)

If I remember rightly they subbed the FR tent at R&L in 2012 I think. Other opener is a good shout, if not daytime in the John Peel tent.

31 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

definitely don't expect Feeder at Glastonbury. where the hell would they even play these days? haven't played since 2003 when they were third down on the Pyramid. would make a good Other opener, though (although a wasted one as bottom of Other seems about right for them these days anyway)

opening or 2nd on other or JP tent

Isle Of Wight lineups just com across to me as a selection of John Gidding's record collection every year, whoever is active or he can persuade that year. Surely he can muster something better than that together if he wanted to flog tickets quicker.

Edited by Alan_C

I'm becoming more convinced that Glastonbury has a very strong line up this year and lots of the bands playing are not bothering with (m)any other UK festivals. Some pretty average line-ups out at the moment. Have they not got much to choose from or are there just not the bands out there touring?

2 minutes ago, Keithy said:

I'm becoming more convinced that Glastonbury has a very strong line up this year and lots of the bands playing are not bothering with (m)any other UK festivals. Some pretty average line-ups out at the moment. Have they not got much to choose from or are there just not the bands out there touring?

I don't think it's that the bands aren't touring - there's some cracking lineups announced in mainland europe - probably stronger overall than it's been for a few years.

But you're definitely right that most of the other major UK festivals all look pretty week so far. It's especially noticeable at the big money festivals like Reading and IOW, where the announcements so far would have seemed unimaginably weak even 5 years ago.. Download is the exception as they've managed to get almost their 3 ideal headliners and a strong undercard, but that's within a very specific genre so doesn't affect us that much.

The good news is that most of those acts playing mainland Europe are still available - meaning that they're free for at least 1 day of Glastonbury, and either aren't announced for another UK Festival so far, or at the very least aren't "exclusive". It could be pretty interesting for the next couple months seeing how things shake out.

2 minutes ago, stocky3000 said:

Just having looked at the Stage Predictions thread, 

everyone seems to think that Haim will be a shoe-in but have they be announced for anything yet?

They've been announced for at least one US festival, Bonnaroo I think. I think the album will be out this summer and if they're around they'll most likely be at Glastonbury given how much they seem to like it.

3 minutes ago, stocky3000 said:

Just having looked at the Stage Predictions thread, 

everyone seems to think that Haim will be a shoe-in but have they be announced for anything yet?

been announced for a couple of things in America (Bonnaroo and Governors Ball at the start of June) but that's it. thought they would've been announced for a bit more by now, and i suppose they still could, but it might just be that they're sticking to a couple of American shows

7 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Would like to see Savages, really like their latest single 

Excellent in John Peel last time, although would expect/hope for a bigger crowd now.

sorry if posted elsewhere but The National are in Denmark and Holland on the thurs/fri of Glastonbury weekend.

Wonder if any chance of them popping in for an hour or two?

5 hours ago, 5co77ie said:

does it usually have a country tinge? Is that pointing to a headline act?

Who would be a country sized headliner though? Any hunch on the last IOW headliner or when it'll be announced? It must be a biggie or they aren't going to sell a massive amount of tickets I would've thought...

Their show before Pulp's secret set in The Park in 2011 was the nadir of a wet, muddy weekend.  It was fucking awful.  Like, painful.

I saw them again touring the second album and it was a fair bit better - maybe due to be the strength of some of the material on the second album. I mean, I'm not gonna lavish praise, but it was a'ight.  Three stars out of a possible five, which is up two.