Acts Touring Around Glastonbury 2016

Gnomicide

18 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Hot Chip headlined Thurs in 2012, The Cure the year before, Major Lazer have played pretty prominent slots a lot in recent years... sorry Bestival, you're losing it.

I was going to say I was sure The Cure had done Bestival before, is this their first repeat headliner?

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, GlastoSimon said:

Also I hate to put a shitter on things, but I think Sigur Ros will be the 'nailed on but doesn't play' act for 2016. Hope I'm wrong, they'd be great!

In 2013 they played the Eden Project on Glastonbury weekend and still didn't show so they quite like the "nailed on but doesn't play" slot.

17 minutes ago, GlastoSimon said:

I was going to say I was sure The Cure had done Bestival before, is this their first repeat headliner?

Chemical Brothers were the first last year. i guess they've decided it's better to have a good repeat headliner than to make shit bookings like Fatboy Slim and Chic the previous years. can't really argue with The Cure, although the lineup as a whole so far does look like your expected Bestival lineup (which i'm a fan of, but still won't be going)

17 minutes ago, GlastoSimon said:

Also I hate to put a shitter on things, but I think Sigur Ros will be the 'nailed on but doesn't play' act for 2016. Hope I'm wrong, they'd be great!

yeah as much as it all looks to be lining up right i think it'll be a repeat of 2013 where they look to be nailed on yet still don't play - it's pretty much got to be Other headliner for them and unless we've got it all wrong and LCD Soundsystem are subbing Pyramid/headlining Other on the Sunday and BMTH aren't there at all, there isn't really any room for them 

Ben Folds has to be a possibility - he's touring the UK in the 2 weeks before Glastonbury - plays the Thursday in Cambridge, then the tour finishes on the Saturday in Amsterdam. Free both Friday and Sunday.

Friday would be 6 days in a row, but he's doing that elsewhere in his tour.

Edited by incident
norwich/cambridge, same thing

2 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

BMTH can always be subbing the Other. I still don't think there's remotely enough of an audience for them at Glastonbury to justify  headlining it. i'd be pretty confident it would be one of the smallest headliner crowds of recent years if they are.

only act i can see them realistically subbing to is The Prodigy - they'd seem weird as hell subbing LCD Soundsystem / New Order / Sigur Ros / most other acts, although a part of me does agree with you. i think they're a big act but filling the Other field at Glastonbury big? not too sure anymore

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

only act i can see them realistically subbing to is The Prodigy - they'd seem weird as hell subbing LCD Soundsystem / New Order / Sigur Ros / most other acts, although a part of me does agree with you. i think they're a big act but filling the Other field at Glastonbury big? not too sure anymore

They aren't that heavy anymore, and they've had coverage and recognition off NME lately, which makes me think their mainstream audience might be a lot bigger than it used to be, whether it's enough to headline the other I don't know, but I'd say it's enough to sub any of they bands 

8 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

i don't really subscribe to the theory that the sub has to be similar to the headliner. there's lots of examples of acts subbing different types of acts on the Other.

off the top of my head; Ben Howard/Deadmau5, Jamie T/Chemical Brothers, Paolo Nutini/Skrillex and Ellie Goulding/Massive Attack.

it's not like people stay at the stage/area for hours on end so there needs to be some similarity among the acts, most people just go there to see someone then go off again. places like West Holts, The Park or even the Pyramid obviously have a bit of a general theme, but the Other stage seems to be a complete mix of things...

Edited by ghostdancer1

Having seen the Bestival line-up announcment (and rejoiced that there is almost nothing there to sabotage my Glastonbury line-up hopes), my only worry is whether or not Animal Collective would come over for Spring dates, then home again, then over in June for GF, before back again in September for Bestival.

If Bestival have scuppered my AnCo at Glastonbury dream, I'll be flippin' livid!

:o

Ben

Just now, bennyhana22 said:

Having seen the Bestival line-up announcment (and rejoiced that there is almost nothing there to sabotage my Glastonbury line-up hopes), my only worry is whether or not Animal Collective would come over for Spring dates, then home again, then over in June for GF, before back again in September for Bestival.

If Bestival have scuppered my AnCo at Glastonbury dream, I'll be flippin' livid!

Ben

i've been trying to see if they have any of the acts down as exclusives but can't see anything, although i think you may just be out of luck on this one unfortunately as it seems unlikely they'd come and go so many times

On 1/28/2016 at 8:51 AM, eFestivals said:

I certainly think if it was just cos of 6music they'd have found a way of claiming them ("only summer festival", perhaps), so I certainly think they'll play somewhere else.

And Glasto is the only one that makes sense.

Latitude played the "exclusive major UK festival" card when sharing Damon with 6Music.

3 hours ago, Mezhyp1 said:

The Cure and Major Lazer headlining Bestival. Animal Collective, Ride, Hot Chip, Years and Years, Bastille, Skream, Skepta, Wolf Alice, Katy B and Craig David also to be announced 

I read that as Red Hot Chili Peppers

31 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Ben

I'm having similar concerns about Jagwar Ma. Here in Feb then again in August/Sept for Green Man and Besti. Very much hoping they're also here in June.

40 minutes ago, jonday81 said:

This would be awesome! Welcome to Jamrock reminds me of my first Glasto in 2014 dancing at The Blues with a cider and the sun shining.

It's been done already, in 2007.

(feck me, was Jamrock that long ago :blink:)

And Damian doesn't seem to come this side of the pond more than once in a summer, so I reckon it's unlikely.

30 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

I'm having similar concerns about Jagwar Ma. Here in Feb then again in August/Sept for Green Man and Besti. Very much hoping they're also here in June.

I seem to remember they were asked on Twitter and said the odds were high and that would make it 4 years in a row, or something.

Was anyone else in the Stonebridge when they played at like 2am? Superb stuff.

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

Ben

It might happen Ben.........they're in Europe at the beginning of June for Primavera so they might be staying over for the month and GF is the last one before they go home.....

2 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

i don't really subscribe to the theory that the sub has to be similar to the headliner. there's lots of examples of acts subbing different types of acts on the Other.

off the top of my head; Ben Howard/Deadmau5, Jamie T/Chemical Brothers, Paolo Nutini/Skrillex and Ellie Goulding/Massive Attack.

it's not like people stay at the stage/area for hours on end so there needs to be some similarity among the acts, most people just go there to see someone then go off again. places like West Holts, The Park or even the Pyramid obviously have a bit of a general theme, but the Other stage seems to be a complete mix of things...

Not only do they not need to be similar, Glastonbury often actively chooses to make them quite different to get people moving about. I'm sure someone official (possibly ME) explained this a few years back.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

i've been trying to see if they have any of the acts down as exclusives but can't see anything, although i think you may just be out of luck on this one unfortunately as it seems unlikely they'd come and go so many times

For God's sake, FF, stop confirming my already unwelcome assumptions...!

Ben