On a different note...Euro Football at G16!

Cooter

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There'll be plenty of pubs in bristol showing it.

Think you might be right...  I'll put my neck on the line and say I reckon there'll be pubs everywhere showing it.  Not sure the relevance of that statement though - I will be at Glastonbury not Bristol.

Nobody dictates how you should experience your Glastonbury - why you should you be able to dictate how others enjoy theirs...

The Euro 2004 match against Portugal on the Pyramid was fantastic, but really wouldn't care once the music starts.

I've actually got tickets for the Euros during Glastonbury week. Planning to watch the match in Lens on the Tuesday night, back to the UK on Wednesday then head to the festival either Wednesday night or Thursday morning.

Got tickets for one of the Saturday games too but will most likely sell them.

The main arguments seem to be 'England are shit' and 'if you want to watch football don't go to Glastonbury'.

Most football fans don't watch their team because they think they're going to win every game, and I don't think spending 2 hours out of 5 days at a festival watching a football match means you should cancel your ticket or give it to someone who  apparently deserves it more.

If anyone wants me at the festival, I'll be the knuckle dragger smashing up bars and chanting 'IN-GER-LAND', obviously. 

Can't believe the amount of people commenting "if you want to watch the football you don't deserve to be at Glastonbury!"

Get your heads outta your arses.  I'm all for sticking it on somewhere and letting people choose if they want to watch it or avoid it.

Where?

The dilemma is if they do show it, a lot of people will want to go see it, which means they need a field big enough with screens, which means Pyramid or Other. Which means not programming any bands in that slot. Which means knowing what slot that will be, which they won't, and if England aren't playing in that slot, they've got a match on that isn't a big enough draw on a large stage, which will cause crowd problems elsewhere.

The one time they managed it, was a lucky circumstance. The camping fields had been getting more and more crowded, Glastonbury decided they'd rent some more land and added most of the western camping fields to the site that year. When it became apparent that England would get through, they decided to reserve one of those - that field is now Bushy Ground, is all camping, and fills up relatively quickly. There's just not room to take it out again.

The main arguments seem to be 'England are shit' and 'if you want to watch football don't go to Glastonbury'.

Most football fans don't watch their team because they think they're going to win every game, and I don't think spending 2 hours out of 5 days at a festival watching a football match means you should cancel your ticket or give it to someone who  apparently deserves it more.

If anyone wants me at the festival, I'll be the knuckle dragger smashing up bars and chanting 'IN-GER-LAND', obviously.

I can sort of sympathise with the argument. If you love football that much, you're going to have an awesome week whether you're at Glastonbury or not, so why not give up the spot to someone who isn't in to football, spread the joy around as it were. It's not practical, but I can see the appeal.

I would hope that a long time before the "pay in full day" that there is a clear decision made by the festival so that people can choose what to do. Given that the last 16 games clash with music on the main stages I would say that the decision has to be no. There would be no way of knowing which of those slots might contain a "home nation" and there is no way that you could rejig the running times of one the main stages to give a two hour gap. Remember the chaos caused by the thunderstorm in '14? And that was just a half hour(ish) break.

The one time they managed it, was a lucky circumstance. The camping fields had been getting more and more crowded, Glastonbury decided they'd rent some more land and added most of the western camping fields to the site that year. When it became apparent that England would get through, they decided to reserve one of those - that field is now Bushy Ground, is all camping, and fills up relatively quickly. There's just not room to take it out again.

The other field that they used in 2010 was Barren Ground - which given that the field now hosts Love Fields, and that the landowner has a toxic relationship with GFL, isn't likely to be used for anything useful again in the forseeable future.

I would hope that a long time before the "pay in full day" that there is a clear decision made by the festival so that people can choose what to do.

Bollocks to that. Why does a festival of contemporary art have to make public whether it intends to show a sports match? 

The inevitable huffing and puffing from the self-entitled masses if they don't get there own way will no doubt start again.

I predict a petition. 

Bollocks to that. Why does a festival of contemporary art have to make public whether it intends to show a sports match?

The inevitable huffing and puffing from the self-entitled masses if they don't get there own way will no doubt start again.

I predict a petition.

I have to agree. It's a music+performing arts festival. Assume it's not going to be shown.

I don't think the festival want to be in the business of getting involved with showing the footie again, they certainly didn't seem too fussed in 2014.

2010 I watched the first half on the wednesday, before retiring to the shade of the Bread and Roses, where it was on the screen, by the time the next game came round I literally couldn't give a flying flick about football and Ray Davies and Slash were much the better option.  I did enjoy how much less crowded the place was for a Sunday afternoon though.

Me 2. Out there for 5 days in Paris. Got a ticket to a game at the Stade de France and then 6 days back and off to Glasto

Stade de France on Monday the 13th? I've got that one, and one in Lille on the 15th. Don't really mind who's playing, I'll happily watch anyone (but perving at fit scandis is gonna be tricky, I'm going with the missus)