On a different note...Euro Football at G16!

Cooter

Just reading through the football thread on the "discussions" part of this forum.

Aggression, abuse, threats. People being called c**ts for no other reason than the team they support. The exact same behaviour I saw every saturday when I lived on the doorstep of a football stadium

Seems you people thinking that festival goers who are also football fans are somehow different from all the other knuckledraggers are gravely mistaken.

I'm a festival goer who's a football fan. Most people I know who are festival goers are also football fans. None of these people to my knowledge have ever been in a fight.

I know a few people who turn up to the football to get the 'buzz' from fighting the opposition, though this section don't usually turn up to games now we're playing in a league where teams bring 20 odd fans on a regular basis. Anyway, it's very unlikely you'd see these buffoons turning up at a 5 day festival. They wouldn't wanna get mud all over their stone island jackets now would they?

Also, this section is a minority. I'd say a 2% minority of our support. 98% of our fans are genuinely friendly and anything sang towards the opposition is usually in good jest. You'll get the odd c**t shouted at the ref or opposition players, but are you going to tell me you've never called anyone a c**t for no reason besides personal interests? Please stop sweeping every football fan under the same rug. Thanks.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just reading through the football thread on the "discussions" part of this forum.

Aggression, abuse, threats. People being called c**ts for no other reason than the team they support. The exact same behaviour I saw every saturday when I lived on the doorstep of a football stadium

Seems you people thinking that festival goers who are also football fans are somehow different from all the other knuckledraggers are gravely mistaken.

Russ in sweeping generalisation shocker.

Are you seriously asking Russy if he's ever called anyone a c**t? You must have read his posts. And are youy also going to take his generalisation wind-up seriously? 

Haha, I knew the answer. Generalisation of football fans is a personal weak spot when it comes to being wound up. Maybe it was too early.

It's a massive site so I doubt you'd get bored, there'll still be plenty going on.

Thing is though, people are right. To fit in a football field, something has to go. Not to mention it's money spent there that isn't spent elsewhere.

If you mostly see stuff on the big stages, then it's no big deal. They're not going to spend the Pyramid money on it. But if you spend your time in the smaller areas...

As ever when debates like this come up and people go "they could just get rid of XYZ then use that space/money for something I want" - assume XYZ is your favourite thing at the festival. Because whatever goes, it'll be someone's favourite thing.

So the question is: would you give up your favourite bit of the festival to have the football on? And if the answer is no, why are you okay with inflicting that on someone else?

So the question is: would you give up your favourite bit of the festival to have the football on? And if the answer is no, why are you okay with inflicting that on someone else?

The issue, as I understood it the last time, was that GF didn't want 20,000 blokes piling out onto the streets of Pilton, Glastonbury, Pylle, Street etc looking for pubs to watch the game so they put it on at the festival to keep everyone in and the locals and the council happy.

Edited by The Nal

I remember in '98, all of my friends going to watch the Euro cup rather than Foo Fighters, and I was mortified.  I just couldn't understand how, with all that wonderful live entertainment on offer, people would rather watch something beamed in from another country on a big TV screen.

And I still feel the same way today.

Thing is though, people are right. To fit in a football field, something has to go. Not to mention it's money spent there that isn't spent elsewhere.

If you mostly see stuff on the big stages, then it's no big deal. They're not going to spend the Pyramid money on it. But if you spend your time in the smaller areas...

As ever when debates like this come up and people go "they could just get rid of XYZ then use that space/money for something I want" - assume XYZ is your favourite thing at the festival. Because whatever goes, it'll be someone's favourite thing.

it doesn't have to "fit in a football field" though. it has to free up a large screen for 2hrs. now obviously at 9pm that would be problematic, but if the games are on at 3pm, then they can schedule the acts on the Other Stage for example to leave a 2hr gap when a match is on. there's already 30min gaps between acts anyway.

looking at the Clashfinder for this year, that pretty much just involves moving 1 act elsewhere and a very tiny bit of tweaking the times for the acts around then.

it doesn't have to "fit in a football field" though. it has to free up a large screen for 2hrs. now obviously at 9pm that would be problematic, but if the games are on at 3pm, then they can schedule the acts on the Other Stage for example to leave a 2hr gap when a match is on. there's already 30min gaps between acts anyway.

looking at the Clashfinder for this year, that pretty much just involves moving 1 act elsewhere and a very tiny bit of tweaking the times for the acts around then.

Hang on, your solution to a post that says "something has to go" is to kick a band off the Other Stage??  I was saying live and let live a few posts ago, but to schedule a fecking football match on a main stage DURING the festival?

That idea can fuck RIGHT off!  That's a far more disruptive idea than finding a spare field elsewhere.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

Hang on, your solution to a post that says "something has to go" is to kick a band off the Other Stage??  I was saying live and let live a few posts ago, but to schedule a fecking football match on a main stage DURING the festival?

That idea can fuck RIGHT off!  That's a far more disruptive idea than finding a spare field elsewhere.

it's not kicking one off if there's none scheduled to be there in the first place. the stage/field is empty for lots of the day with breaks, this is just shuffling a small bit so that some of that dead time is used for something.

and obviously that is only for Fri-Sun. Wednesday and Thursday there is no such problem.

Edited by ghostdancer1

haha fucking hell...

it's not kicking one off if there's none scheduled to be there in the first place. the stage/field is empty for lots of the day with breaks, this is just shuffling a small bit so that some of that dead time is used for something.

But you are saying schedule a football match instead of a band, right?  Leave a 2 hour gap between bands rather than a 30 min gap?  Or have I misunderstood your proposal?

and obviously that is only for Fri-Sun. Wednesday and Thursday there is no such problem.

Just seen your edit - yeah Wed/Thursday is fine by me.  Means there is more space in the other areas during the exploring days :)

You can't be serious.

The sort of people at football matches who go there looking for the fight, as LondonTom said, are the type who'd look for a different excuse to fight even if there wasn't any games on. Football does do weird things to people, but unless you're already the hot-headed, aggressive type it's not going to be dragging you into any fights. The people I know who cause this sort of trouble at games aren't the type you'd see popping up at Glastonbury anyway.  You're far more likely to bump into them at an outdoor Courteeners/Kasabian/Insert LAD band here show.

Absolutely agree.

I was on holiday with my family in Turkey in 1996 when England played Scotland. My wife and two young children didn't want to see the game, so I went down to a large nightclub to watch the game. The place was packed with hundreds of fans - roughly a 50% split England to Scotland. It was rowdy and loud, but I didn't see one incident or bad word exchanged.

Compare that to 2009 when i had the misfortune to be in the pit at Glastonbury waiting to watch Bruce Springsteen surrounded by knobhead Kasabian fans. There was a higher likelihood of violence that day than at the footie.

I'm not suggesting in any shape or form that football matches are less likely to promote violence than music events, just that you can't generalise about these things.

But you are saying schedule a football match instead of a band, right?  Leave a 2 hour gap between bands rather than a 30 min gap?  Or have I misunderstood your proposal?

yes, a bit.

it's currently:

--Band A

----30min gap----

--Band B (1hr set)

----30 min gap---

--Band C

if they are intent on showing a match on Fri-Sun, then a much more workable idea than trying to find a massive field from somewhere, would be to book one less band for that stage for that day, or have Band B playing elsewhere and tighten up the gaps between acts on that stage..

you can also move an earlier act or 2 to a different stage and shift the 3pm ones earlier. for example, Sunday last year, SOAK could have played the Acoustic stage (which didn't start until 12, rather than 11 like other stages, it would also have suited her music MUCH better), and Adam Cohen could have played elsewhere, then shift Palma Violets and Twin Atlantic back an hour and that's a 2hr window where no music is being played on the Other Stage. the stage setup can continue during it for the acts playing before and after it.

i've seen it at other events and it has worked pretty well.

i'm not necessarily saying that they SHOULD do it, but it seems far easier to incorporate if they really want to show a match, given the complete lack of space available.

Just to throw a spanner into the "create a two hour window" idea. I think I'm right in saying that we would be at the knockout stages on Saturday/Sunday meaning that extra time and penalties becomes a distinct possibility. Which would mean you need a THREE hour slot not two...

And if a match goes to Extra time we could lose a band as time will be gone.

You can't be serious.

The sort of people at football matches who go there looking for the fight, as LondonTom said, are the type who'd look for a different excuse to fight even if there wasn't any games on. Football does do weird things to people, but unless you're already the hot-headed, aggressive type it's not going to be dragging you into any fights. The people I know who cause this sort of trouble at games aren't the type you'd see popping up at Glastonbury anyway.  You're far more likely to bump into them at an outdoor Courteeners/Kasabian/Insert LAD band here show.

I think what I am trying to say is being misunderstood or overlooked, I'm talking only about matches when the home nations could end up playing each other as the risk for danger, obviously nothing happened when England/Germany was on a few years ago but if both teams have a large group of fans there - that's why I think there would be a risk.

So that means leaving the guts of three hours free the 2nd stage just incase

yes. an hour of that will already be free, so I guess it might mean the likes of Clean Bandit, Catfish and the Bottlemen or Ella Eyre playing elsewhere and some slightly different scheduling of the rest of the acts, compared with this year.

other festivals have done it before.

or they can find another field to fit tens of thousands, whatever.

yes. an hour of that will already be free, so I guess it might mean the likes of Clean Bandit, Catfish and the Bottlemen or Ella Eyre playing elsewhere and some slightly different scheduling of the rest of the acts, compared with this year.

other festivals have done it before.

or they can find another field to fit tens of thousands, whatever.

I am pretty surprised other festivals have done it tbh, stunned any of would kick bands off their main stage for football.

What size of festival are we talking that have done it before?

FWIW Cinema field is the best shout so far imo - if it's going to be shown

Edited by Redwinevino