Does anybody stay in a hotel near Glastonbury on the Tuesday night?

jackplaysguitar

Just been looking at some options for the Tuesday night to make our lives easier.

Travelling down from the North we normally set off in the middle of the night but now that we're not that we're approaching our 30's we're looking at perhaps staying in somewhere nearby such as Bath or Frome on the Tuesday so that we can be fresh faced for the Wednesday gate queue.

Does anybody else do the same? Anybody got any good pointers? We're coming down from Leeds so approach Glastonbury on the M5 through Bristol

Edited by jackplaysguitar

We’ve done this for a few years actually staying in the town for a few days prior to the festival but b and bs are booked as much as a year in advance. Also the local travelodges and premier inns are booked by the bbc. This year we’re travelling down, staying in a M5 travelodge and then making a very early departure to the festival. Check out the Sedgemoor or Frankley services hotels on the M5 .

We travel down from North Yorkshire and have stayed at a pub Tues night last few times. Works well for us, few beers and some sleep then up early and join queue about 6am.   Stayed near Sparkford last year and were in at Gate D  by 9am, tent up by 9.30. 

Got coach tickets in resale this year so doing it different.

edit - Sparkford pub looks to have a room still, probably the one I cancelled after we got coach resale tickets!

Edited by Northtim
Room info

Just now, Ayrshire Chris said:

We’ve done this for a few years actually staying in the town for a few days prior to the festival but b and bs are booked as much as a year in advance.

It used to be oh so easy..

image.png.50e493be7ddf37d7b5d33b976b5d2425.png

Booked on, and I swear this is true, 1st March 2008.

2 minutes ago, jackplaysguitar said:

Sedgemoor looks good. I'm just looking into Bristol as we could make a day of it and get some proper food to eat on the evening.

Sedgemoor services is absolutely rammed with festival goers. It’s a great sight😊😉

We've been staying in the Future Inn, Bristol, for the last few years. Perfect spot with a secure car park that's part of the shopping centre next to it.

Bristol is a cool city too, nice way to start the festival ✌️

9 hours ago, jackplaysguitar said:

but now that we're not that we're approaching our 30's 

lord have mercy... i wish i could remember what it even felt like to be approaching my 30's...

(apologies for being absolutely zero help in the topic).

• Upvote 2

Approaching 30's?  Mate, I've been doing the all nighter from Huddersfield pretty much every year and I'm 50!

That said, in 2016 (because my then partner was a moaning git) we agreed to stop overnight closer to the site.  Stopped in a pub on the A37 called the George (in Gurney I think?) with the plan to drive the 20-30 mins to site at about 6:00am.  Of course, we all know that 2016 was the year of the swamp and it took 5 hours from setting off to get into the car parks, then we got f**king soaked setting up.  Waste of time after all.

I am currently looking for an option for the Monday & Tuesday night. Have found a nice reasonably priced place in Burnham. 

I did look at Sedgemoor services. but it's a real pain to have to go up and down the motorway to get to the northbound side. 

I considered it, but then I thought that realistically I wouldn't leave a hotel until 11am, and if I set off from home at 7am then I'll probably get to Worthy Farm at about the same time anyway.

I've booked a hotel for the Monday after though.

Podimore travelodge crew assemble! Its next to a garage (with a greggs, burger king etc)  by the roundabout with the a303, and there's a pub a ten minute stroll down the road for a bit of dinner. Though im staying sunday night this year, i've stayed the tuesday a couple of times. 

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

Yes have stayed in the George & Pilgrims and also the Overlook aross the road.

Taxi can take you (sometimes) via the closed roads to the dropoff near Gate A so you miss all the traffic. 

Yes, drops you off in the lay-by opposite the bronze gate 

I’m staying in a Travelodge about 35 mins out. Booked it the day I got my ticket last year. 

First time I’m trying staying overnight though. I’m getting old and I need a head start to get to Gate D. 

last year I arrived on site at about 05:00/05:30 I reckon after a plus 3 hour drive. 

We were camping about a 10 min walk inside Gate D. As I got to the fork for Gate A and D they closed Gate D …… I’m talking like I was 6 feet away. 

I had to join the Gate A queue, and then slog all the way back to Gate D and past it. 

With a trolley my tent, bag and a f**k tonne of wood. 

1 Trip. 

I was mortified. 

8 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Podimore travelodge crew assemble! Its next to a garage (with a greggs, burger king etc)  by the roundabout with the a303, and there's a pub a ten minute stroll down the road for a bit of dinner. Though im staying sunday night this year, i've stayed the tuesday a couple of times. 

wanted to stay there but they are charging around £200 per room for the Tuesday night.

did it in 2017 when they chatted about £90 for a triple, worked well but we are not paying that so alarm at 3am instead it is! 

Stayed at the Premier Inn right next to the Bristol bus station last year. Was absolutely brilliant waking up fresh faced, a shower under my built and only a 3 minute walk to the station. The brekkie was decent and snuck a couple of bacon sarnies out with an apple and banana for lunch. Quiet room on floor 7, few beers watching Die Hard. Loads of other festival attendees there too!

Was in the queue for about 20 minutes. No one gave a toss about what coach timed you'd booked, it was first come first served, no one complained about that. Never experienced it before, but they had us chuck our bags in a separate van which followed us to the festival. Was really worried my stuff had got lost but it was just the last out 😁

My plans had changed because I was expecting friends to come, so one tip I would use is to make good use of booking com's free cancellation policy if you're unsure!

Other than that, there should be a lot of options in the bigger cities if you don't mind travelling from Bath or Bristol. 

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON