‘Seventeen’ - Stevie nicks?

Claire0406

8 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

OK the 15 year old is back from additional maths and tells me that Seventeen are massive, bigger than Stray Kids who are at BST this year.

Apparently this will also be their first performance in Europe and the only currently one announced for the UK. So it seems like it should be a big deal, but I just don't get K-Pop.

5 minutes ago, incident said:

Apparently this will also be their first performance in Europe and the only currently one announced for the UK. So it seems like it should be a big deal, but I just don't get K-Pop.

For the younguns its an immersive thing - they listen/watch kpop and the shows where the bands get formed, they watch kdrama and films, eat korean food and use Korean beauty products - thats why it is known as Hallyu the Korean wave though to be fair thats been going on for decades. It is a transformation of our assumptions about where culture needs to come from and how it gets disseminated. Its fascinating really. 

I suppose what I'm saying is just viewing it as Xfactor type stuff is a lazy view of its importance and impact globally.

Edited by giantkatestacks
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Had a listen.

It's generic stale pop music written by the same factory of people. I don't why this type of thing is socially acceptable now. 

They will be miming and doing dance routines. Young kids music, which is fine.

I know this will anger people but I don't care. it's f**king dreadful. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

Had a listen.

It's generic stale pop music written by the same factory of people. I don't why this type of thing is socially acceptable now. 

I dont think it will anger people - its true that us old people just dont get it. It isnt for us though. The 15 year old says they actually lip synch less than western pop acts as they are overly trained to be good singers and rappers - that's part of the problem I personally have with kpop, the fact that these young people are expected and pressured to dance and sing and rap at 100% perfection in a society that has very high self harm rates. 

9 hours ago, Mardy said:

13 members? Are we sure it's not the Polyphonic Spree rebadged?

goldie lookin' chain - yo nos it! 😛 

2 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

OK the 15 year old is back from additional maths and tells me that Seventeen are massive, bigger than Stray Kids who are at BST this year. She recommends a couple of tracks:

That damned trumpet riff is going to be stuck in my head all night now

1 hour ago, danbailey80 said:

Had a listen.

To be fair to Seventeen, they mainly write their own stuff (well one member does, with input from the others)

Looking at their UK stats, I'm not convinced that Seventeen are bigger than Stray Kids.

Stray Kids: Four charting albums, highest peaking at #40. Three charting singles, highest peaking at #44.

Seventeen: No charting albums or singles.

Even with worldwide monthly Spotify listeners, Seventeen have 6.7m - hardly a massive deal really. They clearly have a fanbase, but not one big enough to sell the 2000 albums it takes to make the UK charts. 

Edited by WhoOdyssey

1 hour ago, danbailey80 said:

Had a listen.

It's f**king awful, no wonder South Koreans have stopped having kids if that's what they're turning out like.

3 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

I dont think it will anger people - it’s true that us old people just dont get it. It isnt for us though. The 15 year old says they actually lip synch less than western pop acts as they are overly trained to be good singers and rappers - that's part of the problem I personally have with kpop, the fact that these young people are expected and pressured to dance and sing and rap at 100% perfection in a society that has very high self harm rates. 

Interesting info. Thanks 🙂

Edited by danbailey80

I’ve calmed down now and having read more info given above think that glasto is actually good for adding the odd wild booking like this. 

it was just the vast engulfing disappointment in comparison to Stevie Nicks. 😥😂

3 minutes ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

I don’t see Balming Tiger on the poster, hoping Seventeen haven’t been drafted in to fill the quota in their stead and that they just weren’t deemed big enough for the poster.  

They’ll come with the full lineup, and hopefully means they’ll be on fair early doors to avoid a clash. Gonna be such a party.

• Upvote 1

The raw data isn't there for them in the UK, but should be great fun. One of those where if it proves to be quite the success, could pave the way for future Pyramid positions at the top, which certainly helps to further build out a roster of headliners.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

I dont think it will anger people - its true that us old people just dont get it. It isnt for us though. The 15 year old says they actually lip synch less than western pop acts as they are overly trained to be good singers and rappers - that's part of the problem I personally have with kpop, the fact that these young people are expected and pressured to dance and sing and rap at 100% perfection in a society that has very high self harm rates. 

The whole K Pop thing scares the crap out of me to be honest. The fans seem way to invested on a personal level in the bands and it all just feels, a bit too much and potentially unhealthy.