Stand and deliver.

Yoghurt on a Stick

5 minutes ago, dizzymoo said:

Gypsy by Crystal Waters, and I'm a Dreamer by Livin' Joy.  Both sung so flat that they amount to torture.

Experience of music is so subjective. There are many great songs from 1979-80 that I find really hard to listen to. At the time I was dividing weeks between Bradford and Harrogate, in a student placement I hated, with the fear of the Yorkshire ripper almost palpable in the air. Beyond irony,  the house I rushed home to for safety was shared with a guy who later turned out to be a serial rapist. I've managed to make peace with songs such as Too much too Young and Ashes to Ashes; others are taking longer. 

That hideous time has been (almost) eclipsed by glorious ones since, especially at Glastonbury, which has been the therapy I didn't realise I needed. Even crap songs have been enjoyable there!

Wow! That's scary. Yes I definitely think sometimes some songs can remind you of moments and the songs themselves aren't bad but the bad memories they bring back can be too much. I have a good friend who can't bear to listen to Don't Give Up by Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush because it was in the charts and playing everywhere around the time her Mum died of cancer and she just finds it too painful to be brought back to that time.

7 hours ago, -TLR- said:

The Chicks - Gaslighter

saw them on the Pyramid last year and loved them.

then i saw them, twice, supporting Bruce and ended up being so sick of them - and after the third time Gaslighter, in particular for some reason, just made my blood boil...

my son saw the chicks when he was five, with RHCP and james brown, (having done loads of glastos, and seen lots of live music) his review of the chicks went: "they're rubbish dad!"

1 minute ago, germanmon said:

Father and Son.

Sorry Cat, but Boyzone ruined that song forever for me. The opening bars are enough to get me reaching for the mute button.

lol today is the 3rd anniversary of my brother’s death and he loved that song so much it was used at his funeral. The good news for you is it was during COVID so there was only about 5 people who got to hear it. 

• Like 1

Bryan Adams - Everything I do

Whitney Houston - I will always love you

Both number one for ages

Weirdly, Daft Punk - One More Time. Loved Homework with a passion and thought this was such a sh*t direction. 

Lots of sh*t songs from sh*t nightclubs- Living on a prayer, Come on Eileen etc etc

Could go on....

9 hours ago, kpins said:

Bryan Adams - Everything I do

Whitney Houston - I will always love you

Both number one for ages

Weirdly, Daft Punk - One More Time. Loved Homework with a passion and thought this was such a sh*t direction. 

Lots of sh*t songs from sh*t nightclubs- Living on a prayer, Come on Eileen etc etc

Could go on....

Is it my imagination or is Living on a Prayer making some sort of comeback with the kids?

I thought we'd finally seen it off.

Edited by BlackZeppelin

21 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Come on Eileen

My life is forever blighted when I hear this by the sight of idiots on the dancefloor prancing around with their hands behind their backs like the faux gypsies Kev and his mates created.  Utter garbage.

Shame cos I really like a lot of Dexy's material until that point.

• Upvote 1