UK Politics

kalifire

42 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

These by-elections have to happen because of proper procedure, but frankly, I think they're so utterly meaningless.

I guess they aren’t meaningless if they force sunak out early … not sure they will but can only hope 

57 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I guess they aren’t meaningless if they force sunak out early … not sure they will but can only hope 

locals will push things along.

38 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Not only has this guy f**ked his own position, but he has totally undermined Starmer's apparent push to drive out antisemitism, and just brought the whole Israel-Gaza conflict to the forefront for Labour. What a f**king idiot.

And people will be wondering how many more like him are hiding in the shadows. 

I’m a labour supporter and desperately want rid of the tories but even I’m starting to worry about Starmer and his leadership and what else might possible happen or come up before we get an election.

At this rate, I’m thinking the earlier an election the better, before the lead shown in polls starts to ebb away.  It’s a bit worrying really… especially as the Tories start to ramp up their ‘no plan’ rhetoric. 

The meeting that was recorded was soon after 7 October attack. So unless the recorder knew Tony Lloyd was going to die and there would be a by election (if so I'd like to meet them as they can pick some horses and lottery numbers for me) and Azhar would stand it seems unlikely this is an explicitly anti-Starmer move from someone on the left. 

More likely a pro-Israel member looking to discredit a pro-Palestinian Labour councillor. Sadly on this occasion Azhar Ali gave them all the ammunition they needed with his comments. 

39 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

he has totally undermined Starmer's apparent push to drive out antisemitism

Hmmm

Antisemites in Corbyn’s Labour - Corbyn’s fault

Antisemites in Starmer’s Labour - The antisemite’s fault

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

These by-elections have to happen because of proper procedure, but frankly, I think they're so utterly meaningless.

By contrast I think the idea of not having them seems a little absurd. 

You presumably accept that there are circumstance where an MP dies, resigns or is forced to step down? 

In turn you understand that they represent electors, so those people have a democratic right to elect someone who will represent their area? 

2 hours ago, clarkete said:

By contrast I think the idea of not having them seems a little absurd. 

You presumably accept that there are circumstance where an MP dies, resigns or is forced to step down? 

In turn you understand that they represent electors, so those people have a democratic right to elect someone who will represent their area? 

I get all this. I generally support by-elections, and I don't begrudge anyone the right to a MP, it's more that I think there just should be a GE pretty ASAP now.

And also, there's people like those in Dorries' constituency who were effectively without a MP for ages.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, stuie said:

And people will be wondering how many more like him are hiding in the shadows. 

not hiding in the shadows there's a list of them, called the momentum membership list!

4 minutes ago, SalviaPlath said:

The thing with Galloway is he does no work as a constituency MP. Rochdale is basically left without an MP if he wins as happened when he's won in seats before. He's absolute worst case scenario really. 

sure, but I can't see another option, unless Ali stands as an independent...too late for that right?

35 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Inflation expected to rise again, making interest rate cuts less likely | Evening Standard

Inflation expected to rise. No way IRs are getting cut any time soon. If anything they might go up more. 

After all Rishi’s hard work! Up next… the boats are not stopping and waiting lists have increased again. Absolutely useless! But at least he has a plan / knows what a woman is / isn’t a terrorist defender… or some bollocks