UK Politics

kalifire

25 minutes ago, Neil said:

There'd be costs for a changed candidate, reprint of voting forms and printing and distribiting campaign materials. Maybe the party could pay those.

They can't.  The rules stipulate a deadline after which you cannot change or withdraw a candidate. The deadline is 19 Working days before the election.

52 minutes ago, LJS said:

They can't.  The rules stipulate a deadline after which you cannot change or withdraw a candidate. The deadline is 19 Working days before the election.

That’s the rules at present, rules can change if there is political will. The thing here is this situation could happen to any party. You can lower the risk with effective vetting, but it’s not foolproof. I think in America they allow write in candidates, so maybe there’s a process around this that could work.

4 hours ago, Ozanne said:

He’s talking nonsense and has made up that 3 candidates combined will be a vote against Starmer, when that’s not the case at all. Most people will see the Labour logo next to Ali and vote for him anyway, unless the Lib Dem’s start campaigning. 

So if you lived in Rochdale who would you vote for? Genuinely interested, sounds like you would go with Ali even though he has been disowned.

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I think again this is quite “political bubble” thinking. Most of the country will pay little attention to a by-election in Rochdale and while Israel/Palestine is a key issue for some people very engaged in politics, it’s a minor issue for those swing voters who determine who win elections.

This is the most recent crisis so fresh in our minds, debatable if the biggest and not one I see impacting on a general election. If he is the next PM he will have to deal with way bigger!

8 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

So if you lived in Rochdale who would you vote for? Genuinely interested, sounds like you would go with Ali even though he has been disowned.

I once went to my local council election and there were only 3 candidates Lib Dem, Tory and BNP. I voted Lib Dem but wondered what I would have done if they were not on the ballot. I would have had to vote Tory, no way an endorsement of their politics but that’s the pragmatic decision based on choices on offer. You can talk about spoiling your vote or not voting, but what if everyone does that and the BNP come through on a low turnout.

Unfortunately most of us voters don’t make the choices, but have to make the best or least worst choice. From an intellectual perspective it makes little sense to punish Ali and reward Galloway, what are you achieving here?

My preference would be to swap candidate but the system doesn’t allow that . However the reality is Ali will vote in parliament almost identically to a generic Labour replacement.

Edited by pink_triangle

20 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I once went to my local council election and there were only 3 candidates Lib Dem, Tory and BNP. I voted Lib Dem but wondered what I would have done if they were not on the ballot. I would have had to vote Tory, no way an endorsement of their politics but that’s the pragmatic decision based on choices on offer. You can talk about spoiling your vote or not voting, but what if everyone does that and the BNP come through on a low turnout.

Unfortunately most of us voters don’t make the choices, but have to make the best or least worst choice. From an intellectual perspective it makes little sense to punish Ali and reward Galloway, what are you achieving here?

My preference would be to swap candidate but the system doesn’t allow that . However the reality is Ali will vote in parliament almost identically to a generic Labour replacement.

A vote for someone IS an endorsement, if there is no one on the ballot who will represent your views you shouldn't vote, we will never get better candidates until people are more selective with their support. The people of Rochdale certainly deserve better than the choices they have been given.

If you vote for Ali you either don't care about his "Anti semitic" views, are willing to ignore them or actually support them. I suspect a lot of the electorate there will vote for him but that does mean Starmer's stance that these views are "unacceptable" is wrong, many people are going to accept them.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

A vote for someone IS an endorsement, if there is no one on the ballot who will represent your views you shouldn't vote, we will never get better candidates until people are more selective with their support. The people of Rochdale certainly deserve better than the choices they have been given.

If you vote for Ali you either don't care about his "Anti semitic" views, are willing to ignore them or actually support them. I suspect a lot of the electorate there will vote for him but that does mean Starmer's stance that these views are "unacceptable" is wrong, many people are going to accept them.

People vote for different reasons, some vote for someone, some vote tactically and some vote for the least worst option. As I said in the situation I highlighted if I had voted Tory in a Tory v BNP 2 candidate race that would have been in no way an endorsement. Nor do I believe people not voting will magically improve candidate quality.

I think for the average voter views on Middle East politics will be way down the list under health, education , housing etc. To say voting for him shows you don’t care about his views is simplistic as the alternative is probably Galloway. What is the intellectual benefit of punishing Ali and rewarding Galloway?

I agree the people of Rochdale deserve better, but in this situation the system is working against them and we can’t change the system. A different labour candidate will emerge for the general election, but the system means they will have a flawed candidate until then.

3 hours ago, LJS said:

i was  going along with the idea of changing  in the rules to allow a change of candidate, when in labour's situation. so change the deadline, and charge extra costs back onto the party.