In Memoriam

clarkete

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

i met vince briefly once, and heard lots of bad music biz stories about him - links to gangsterism, and the ira, and stuff.

34 minutes ago, Neil said:

i met vince briefly once, and heard lots of bad music biz stories about him - links to gangsterism, and the ira, and stuff.

I interviewed him a few times for this parish - rather enjoyed it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Neil said:

Seen a few nice tributes to him today as well from Cerys Matthews, Imelda May and Paul Weller etc so can't have been all bad. I think a lot of people involved with having to put on large events probably have to be capable of dealing with gangsters etc often the price of doing business.

13 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

people involved with having to put on large events probably have to be capable of dealing with gangsters etc often the price of doing business.

used to be the caase that the security firms were all gangsters anyway., it was the world that big cash operators (like music promoters) lived in.

(the way the stories were told to me [stuff like showing he had a gun in his pocket], the dodgy links were played up in order to get a business advantage.)

Edited by Neil

9 minutes ago, Neil said:

used to be the caase that the security firms were all gangsters anyway., it was the world that big cash operators (like music promoters) lived in.

(the way the stories were told to me [stuff like showing he had a gun in his pocket], the dodgy links were played up in order to get a business advantage.)

Certainly a lot of big security firms are almost protection rackets.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Was just coming to post this. Sad news as loved World Party. Saw them years ago with 10,000 Maniacs when I was in Canada 

World Party when I saw them at the Town & Country Club, Kentish Town, November 1986. They supported Lone Justice. RIP Karl.

I was at a public interview with Mike Scott two weeks ago (for the release of the Waterboys 1985 box set) and he spoke quite a bit about Karl.

FB8A7B8D-C504-4E2F-B42B-313F53A8A346.jpeg

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Watergirl said:

World Party when I saw them at the Town & Country Club, Kentish Town, November 1986. They supported Lone Justice. RIP Karl.

I was at a public interview with Mike Scott two weeks ago (for the release of the Waterboys 1985 box set) and he spoke quite a bit about Karl.

FB8A7B8D-C504-4E2F-B42B-313F53A8A346.jpeg

Great picture and also jealous you got to see Lone Justice. 

On 3/11/2024 at 11:10 AM, Neil said:

there's an audio  obit of vince on radio four's "last word" (starts very soon 4pm - link below), which the trailer says will include stuff about Reading & Leeds Festivals

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001xfwy

On 3/17/2024 at 1:41 PM, Ayrshire Chris said:

Steve Harley.  So sad, a few of his songs mean a lot to me and Mrs c. Memories of times long gone by. Seen him live so many times. 

I've been laid up with the flu for a few days, so I somehow missed this tragic news. I saw him on Avalon at my last Glastonbury in 2017. As a kid I loved Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel more than Bowie and Bolan. Having a listen to him now with a glass or two of rum & shedding a tear. 

• Like 1