Arcadia 2024

aj6658

2 hours ago, stuie said:

Do we think this big weekend set will be representative of what his Arcadia set will be?  

Listening back to it now… I’d say slightly. He tends to “get” and understand the assignment when it comes to the setting and times he’s on. If he is indeed on at like 1-2am then I’m anticipating a much darker set. More cirez d tracks for example. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

The sea king has arrived 

Screenshot_20240610_142849_Chrome.jpg.49e8a4fd3bce721e336e6d795a284c40.jpg

Beautiful thing. Probably began its life 40-50 years ago just down the road, its probably been all round the globe as a weapon of war but its going to end up right back here as a weapon of party. 

I think thats really cool. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, bennyboi said:

Beautiful thing. Probably began its life 40-50 years ago just down the road, its probably been all round the globe as a weapon of war but its going to end up right back here as a weapon of party. 

As our weapon of choice

• Upvote 1

Hard to put into words how blown away I was in 2008 at my first festival when we just stumbled upon the after burner and trash city on a very late night walk. I didn't know it or anything like it existed at the festival and given the state I was in, wasn't entirely sure it was real.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bennyboi said:

Built  by Sikorsky in the  late 60’s ( I think) it was a trials a/c for the start of the Westlands contract the tail number is XV371 

48 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

Hard to put into words how blown away I was in 2008 at my first festival when we just stumbled upon the after burner and trash city on a very late night walk. I didn't know it or anything like it existed at the festival and given the state I was in, wasn't entirely sure it was real.

My first glastonbury too and exactly how I felt. I am SO excited for the dragonfly.

2 hours ago, Yeo-vile idiot said:

Built  by Sikorsky in the  late 60’s ( I think) it was a trials a/c for the start of the Westlands contract the tail number is XV371 

really, really early one then! 

Thanks for the reg. 

Are you ex westlands or navy? 

or just a nerd too 

• Like 1

It also never left the contry and was never used in anger. Just trails & a trainer 😂 

still cool af though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gherkin8r said:

Our first in 2009 was similar.  Only got tickets in December 2008, all a bit spur of the moment after I'd tried to convince mates to go for years.  Prepped badly, with almost no research.  Got there, tame Wednesday and early night.  Went to SE corner late Thursday night: MIND BLOWN.  Woke up Friday wondering if half of it was a trip.  Great times.

12 hours ago, Yeo-vile idiot said:

25 years deep at Westlands with a slight hint of geek 🤣 

fair play mate. 

I did my time in mech design + 2 years (I spent a lot of time on the new wildcat line, I was an ME when the first 3 went through). 

But I left, went to Tod’s, that went tits up, now I work in Semi conductors. 

still an aviation nerd though. 

17 hours ago, Yeo-vile idiot said:

Wow, I was working at HMRC Sultan when it was based there. 

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Braunton? 

yep, we used to do family holidays in Saunton every summer, and would often see them practicing a sea rescue, then landing on the beach. They are big things!

Been on the shop floor at Yeovil, pretty impressive. A lot of the Seakings are used for search and rescue.

Generally I'd say you can tell a lot about the intended purpose a military helicopter by looking at its face. If it's got a friendly one it's more commonly used for rescue and logistics (i.e. a Sea King, Chinook) or if it's got a mean face its used more for attack purposes (i.e the Wildcat, Apache).

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Nduja said:

Been on the shop floor at Yeovil, pretty impressive. A lot of the Seakings are used for search and rescue.

Generally I'd say you can tell a lot about the intended purpose a military helicopter by looking at its face. If it's got a friendly one it's more commonly used for rescue and logistics (i.e. a Sea King, Chinook) or if it's got a mean face its used more for attack purposes (i.e the Wildcat, Apache).

Your right, attack helicopters are generally tandem cockpit, making it narrower at the front (smaller target). Side by side cockpits allow more space aft of the cockpit for other things and arguable better visibility for SAR. 

You cant always tell with Sea Kings. In the right configuration, they spent a lot of time flying in and out of spicy places with a gun at the door. They were used extensively for ASW and those variants could also give a submarine a very bad day. Thankfully though, Arcadia's never killed anyone or took part in one of our many dubious operations in her work life.  

Bless the Sea King though. Handsome, dependable beast. Look at the ones we dusted off and sent to Ukraine, they are knocking spots of the Soviet stuff from the same era in terms of performance and reliability. 

Edited by bennyboi