2024 Ticket Buying Tips

parsonjack

6 minutes ago, incident said:

Sorry, but no.

My basic point is that "this is not an approved way in" does not need to be signposted.

Give me an honest answer here - if See did hypothetically cancel tickets on the basis of using this exploit, and someone challenged it - which way would the court side?

Me lord they were bought by someone else and I had no idea what they had done. The emotional stress this is now causing me I think I will sue the festival. 😁

8 minutes ago, incident said:

Sorry, but no.

My basic point is that "this is not an approved way in" does not need to be signposted.

Give me an honest answer here - if See did hypothetically cancel tickets on the basis of using this exploit, and someone challenged it - which way would the court side?

Now answer the same question, but for multiple devices.

Yes, this is right. 
The exploit isn’t illegal and doesn’t amount to hacking but they’d be within their rights to cancel the orders. 

They won’t though because it will create negative PR and highlight the sh*t show that See run. It’s like they put the work experience kid in charge of the config for the Glasto ticket sale. 

33 minutes ago, incident said:

Sorry, but no.

Now answer the same question, but for multiple devices.

In both cases, they'd side with See, because somewhere there will be T&Cs that say See can cancel the order for any reason and have no liability.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, stuie said:

Yes, this is right. 
The exploit isn’t illegal and doesn’t amount to hacking but they’d be within their rights to cancel the orders. 

They won’t though because it will create negative PR and highlight the sh*t show that See run. It’s like they put the work experience kid in charge of the config for the Glasto ticket sale. 

They're within their rights to cancel the orders for any reason.

If that right didn't exist then they'd absolutely struggle to justify to any court that they had a publicly accessible website, that would accept connections from the Glastonbury ticket site, that took the person's details, fetched their details from the Glastonbury registration database, requested their credit card details, took their money, and then told them they had a ticket... but it was the customer's fault for using the "wrong" website.

4 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

So this sounds exactly like what happened in 2012 for the 2013 festival. Only that year, it was a load of eFesters sharing and using the trick. And do you know, I don't remember any angry calls on here for tickets to be cancelled or statements to be issued - not one! 

To be fair, I think there's only one person calling for tickets to be cancelled.

I reckon the (vast) majority view, broadly speaking, is that the orders should stand but See should get their sh*t together and make sure it it doesn't happen again.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

So this sounds exactly like what happened in 2012 for the 2013 festival. Only that year, it was a load of eFesters sharing and using the trick. And do you know, I don't remember any angry calls on here for tickets to be cancelled or statements to be issued - not one! 

But wasn’t that on the public facing internet? By being posted here? This was information sold and distributed privately, so the average obsessive had no access - the Discord you are in didn’t actually have the info posted, it was likely just passed to you in private message while it was banned on the public channels to discuss. That’s a huge difference and makes this about elitism and ticket touting versus just rewarding the most obsessive people. 

(And, yes, I think I’m the only one calling for tickets to be cancelled, and I wasn’t here in 2012, but I probably would not have for the above reason.)

As for me using multiple devices and refreshing, it’s an interesting debate but it seems like a big stretch - I think there’s an obvious difference between refreshing or trying a VPN and buying advice to access an unauthorized server to buy tickets, but we all get our opinions and it’s not up to us to decide. 

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

On the other hand, as I say, if someone posts on social media that got in 3 devices trying and can be traced, do See have every right to cancel those tickets as well? Because in that case, they're specifically doing something they've been told not to do by See Tickets and the festival. That would be ridiculous, but it's far easier to justify that being a rule-breaking act than the server workaround.

You are trying to make a thing of me “admitting” this on social media - if this other method had actually been on social media, I wouldn’t have cared. To me, it was the selling and the hiding that makes it a problem. This is about “fairness,” aka the reason the sale was pushed back 2 weeks. As well as touting - the hidden nature makes it unfair, and that the method was sold to others makes it ticket touting. Those are things the fest seems to care about a lot more than refresh and multiple devices. 

9 minutes ago, assorted said:

But wasn’t that on the public facing internet?

This was on the public facing internet too. You needed to look, but it wasn't a secret bit of information, it wasn't a secret, otherwise undisclosed server that you could only find out about by someone telling you. It was possible for people to puzzle it out themselves, as incident did.

I'd probably be more tempted to agree with your stance on cancelling the orders if it was how you say it was. But it wasn't. Anyone with enough knowledge and the desire to go looking could have figured it out.

9 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

This was on the public facing internet too. You needed to look, but it wasn't a secret bit of information, it wasn't a secret, otherwise undisclosed server that you could only find out about by someone telling you. It was possible for people to puzzle it out themselves, as incident did.

I'd probably be more tempted to agree with your stance on cancelling the orders if it was how you say it was. But it wasn't. Anyone with enough knowledge and the desire to go looking could have figured it out.

I see your point, and I’ll add that if I could get pointed to a single Reddit post from before or even during the sale, or if it was allowed to be posted on the Glastonbury Discord and it was, or it was posted here, I’d be agreeing with you. I get that you’re saying that someone with enough network knowledge could work it out, which makes it “public,” but I think we both know that the vast majority of people that used it did not work it out for themselves and instead had it slipped to them or bought it - but I”m repeating myself so I’ll relent for the day. 🙂 I’m happy for everyone that has tickets regardless.  

1 hour ago, assorted said:

I see your point, and I’ll add that if I could get pointed to a single Reddit post from before or even during the sale, or if it was allowed to be posted on the Glastonbury Discord and it was, or it was posted here, I’d be agreeing with you. I get that you’re saying that someone with enough network knowledge could work it out, which makes it “public,” but I think we both know that the vast majority of people that used it did not work it out for themselves and instead had it slipped to them or bought it - but I”m repeating myself so I’ll relent for the day. 🙂 I’m happy for everyone that has tickets regardless.  

Someone claimed it was posted on this thread though I don't remember that happening myself.

2 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Someone claimed it was posted on this thread though I don't remember that happening myself.

Think that might be confusion over something I said - I did mention it was posted on this thread on Sunday. Which it was, but only a couple hours after the dust had settled.

33 minutes ago, incident said:

Think that might be confusion over something I said - I did mention it was posted on this thread on Sunday. Which it was, but only a couple hours after the dust had settled.

I saw it flash up elsewhere just before the sale started....I'm sort of kicking myself a little as my mate that understood how to use it in 2012/13 (and thus got us our tickets that year) was online trying for tickets but I didn't forward it onto him in time.......that said most people I know got their tickets so not all bad.

Either way, even though the initial ticket sale has been a PR disaster for the festival, it's done nothing to reduce the demand. The publicity may well have actually increased it. Regardless of the ticket price, weather, headliners or TV coverage, these demand levels are here to stay for the foreseeable future. I don't think we'll ever see a time when it takes over an hour to sell out again, IT issues aside. It's quite simply the party and there's nowhere else like it. 

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Either way, even though the initial ticket sale has been a PR disaster for the festival, it's done nothing to reduce the demand. The publicity may well have actually increased it. Regardless of the ticket price, weather, headliners or TV coverage, these demand levels are here to stay for the foreseeable future. I don't think we'll ever see a time when it takes over an hour to sell out again, IT issues aside. It's quite simply the party and there's nowhere else like it. 

Yeah honestly I think people are nuts who think that a price increase like last/this years is gonna stop people from wanting to go. Obviously that’ll be the case for some, but even in these sh*t times we live in, stuff like festivals, a brief escape from the real world, are always gonna be insanely popular, and Glastonbury is at the top of the pile. Think it’d take the festival truly dropping the ball headliner/lineup wise a couple of years in a row for demand to wane at all, and I just can’t see that happening to a truly noticeable degree. 

Tbh before the sale I’d fully come to terms with the fact I most likely wouldn’t be going next year/as regularly as I have been because of this so was truly surprised that I bagged tickets. 

11 hours ago, stuie said:

That tweet was one of the most pointless tweets of the year. 

As if everyone was about to turn off their extra devices and start shutting tabs down 😁

Why not? Deliberately go against what the organisers is saying they want?

2 hours ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Who was selling it?

I can’t tell you specific names or something, but there's been a lot of anecdotal stories written on this thread as well as Reddit of people selling “guaranteed” tickets that was this method. I’ve been reading enough of them that I’m assuming at least some are true. 

6 hours ago, Adster said:

I might be the first on this thread to admit this. Fixed or not I'll be trying the "hack" in the resale while the rest of our group refresh normally.  

If they don’t cancel the tickets acquired this way, everyone on this thread and elsewhere will be trying it because if there’s no punishment it’s shown to be as valid a method as any other (it’s then the same as VPNs and auto-refreshers, as Dean says).

I’ve been thinking about the people typing, “but wouldn’t you do it as well?” 

Yes, I would have done it.

The difference between you and me is if I got the info privately, I would not have shared it immediately for fear I was passing on something that did not work (or worse a scam) - but once I knew it worked I would have immediately spread the word here (or as of a week ago I would have spread it in the Discord where it turns out I could not have because the cretins banned users ability to type about it so they could keep it to themselves). 

And yes, if it works in the resale I promise to rush back here as quick as I can to alert this thread (as I still have people to get tickets for). I’m disappointed in everyone who used this method and didn’t do that. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, assorted said:

If they don’t cancel the tickets acquired this way, everyone on this thread and elsewhere will be trying it because if there’s no punishment it’s shown to be as valid a method as any other

Although if see earn their fees the issue will be addressed, so all of those folks will be sacrificing one or more devices for the length of the time they're trying and sending their traffic down a blind alley. 

Perhaps GFL could put out a statement before next sale that doesn't admit anything, but advises buyers of steps to take to avoid potential security issues - only buy via official channels, don't pay more than list price for your ticket sort of thing. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Because nobody was going to do it. Obviously.

Hmm.  Really?

More of an issue would be the channel they chose to use - would many people wanting to buy a ticket (and using this deprecated approach of multiple screens or devices) actually be reading Twitter at the time they were doing it?

Edited by Nick_