So anyone adamant they are not going next year ?

cidy

3 hours ago, Old_Johno said:

My mortgage renewal offer has come through for January, going to be losing £400 a month to the interest increases, my disposable income has basically been wiped out. 

I can’t see tickets being below £350 so for 2 of us with parking, travel and spending money it quickly becomes a lot more of a sacrifice. Combined with how busy it feels now, constant queues and crowds, maybe not.

Will still probably get caught up in the ticket hype though 

Ouch! I am really glad we decided to go with a 5 year fixed 2 years ago but in 3 years time I'll be in the same boat if rates don't go down some. Trying to do a bit of overpaying of the mortgage now so that we owe less by the time it comes around and so that I am used to paying  bit more.

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Trying to do a bit of overpaying of the mortgage now so that we owe less by the time it comes around and so that I am used to paying  bit more.

If you have the financial discipline to do so, don't do that. Take the same money and put it in a high interest saving account or an ISA. You'll easily get 5% return on that right now, and your fixed mortgage is probably at 1-2%. So £100 paid off early means you save £1-2 in interest every year, whereas in an ISA that same £100 makes you £5 in a year.

When your fixed deal is finished you can overpay as much as you want so then you take that savings pot as pay off as much as possible.

If you're on a low fix rate mortgage, overpaying is literally one of the worst things you can do with your spare cash right now. You just need the discipline not to touch that "overpayment" savings pot (and if you're unsure on that bit, you can always get a 2 or 3-year fixed rate saver, so you're not actually allowed to get the money out, same as if you'd overpaid on the mortgage).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I'm done for now. Maybe in the future I might look at going and camping in LoveFields but:

1) really physically struggling to lug stuff from the car to the campsite these days. Part age, part fitness. 

2) loss of Rivermead/Pylon makes the walk worse, and as we arrive late Wednesday afternoon, it's a pain no longer having a field that's certain to be quiet and still have space. For years we've camped at the back of Rivermead and could all arrive throughout Wednesday/Thursday and be sure we could get a spot near each other. 

3) the site is busier. It works when the weather is nice but I generally can't see it working in a muddy year, with everyone trying to keep to the paths. The paths+the grass either side are now often as busy as the paths used to be in the muddy years. I do think the festival is in for a major shocker when they get the first rainy year as they've just not had one to stress test them since the numbers went up loads. The old behaviour of people just staying in their tents at the campsites when it's raining that used to be relied upon is just not happening any more. So much of the camping is so far out... it's not like when half the site camping was over the Pyramid or Other stage so you could walk 10 minutes, go watch an act, and then go dry off in the tent when it starts raining. People camped in South Park, Lime Kiln, Darble are not wondering back to the tent then out again multiple times a day. You'd head there and it'd have stopped raining again by the time you're back. How busy the site is now on a Wednesday shows just how dedicated people are to having as much fun as possible for their money... which brings me to...

4) the price. It's not too expensive. But I think it *is* too expensive if you're not that interested in any of the headliners or most of the Pyramid/Other programming. Used to be "there's so much do, you don't even need to go to the main stages" - which is still true but there are cheaper ways to get your folk/comedy/circus fix. Speaking of...

5) age/fitness again - I can no longer sit on the floor for three hours chilling in the circus or cabaret tent. An hour or so and my back is screaming at me.

6) my musical tastes haven't changed much. But the festival has changed around me. I don't begrudge it that, it's the one moving with the times, while I'm staying still. But outside of the booking policy for the main stages, the rest has stagnated. Glastonbury used to keep physically growing every few years. More stages, more stuff, space for interesting and innovative new ideas and people to give us innovative new stuff. It's how we got Arcadia, Shangri-La, HMS Charity, the Greenpeace installations. But now there's no space any more. But there's also no willingness to let the old things go. Arcadia was going to go and get replaced by a new thing... by the Arcadia team. The Pier is a nice idea, but it's Joe Rush again. Carhenge was a throwback to the old days of the festival, and was also Joe Rush again. Rimski's Yard is great, love it as an addition, but it's run by the same groups with the same acts that are on at the rest of the T&C field. The Atchin Tan at the top of the T&C field... I don't have anything against the cause of Travellers and it's a neat idea but that's some prime real estate to give to over to something people were really uninterested in. And it's the political equivalent of booking 90s Britpop on the Pyramid all day. If we're going to have an area for a political statement to be made, maybe we could give it to some young people? Leftfield have done a good job at keeping up with the issues that affect the younger generation but certainly much of the rest of the place hasn't. Green Futures feels so very, very dated.

Similarly the way people engage with stand-up comedy these days: most people go to the theatre and watch hour-long shows by acts they really like. Few people go to comedy clubs and watch a bunch of acts do 10-20 minutes. But the latter is still the format for the Cabaret tent. Maybe more acts doing actual full shows that people could make a point of wanting to go and see, rather it just being somewhere for people to drop in or out of.

All of this you can argue either way, that you'd prefer it one way or the other. But to me it's about moving forward rather than standing still. I would rather the music booking policy was what it was in the early 2000s and they booked more of the bands I liked. But it moved on. I can accept that. But the rest of the site has not moved on in the same way. I've been going for 20 years and the Astrolabe still has acts that have played there every year since I first went. And I've read a bunch of Marcus du Sautoy's books and think he is great but does he really need to be doing three shows every festival?

(And yeah, it's because he probably does it for the price of a couple of tickets and there's no budget put in elsewhere - I'm not blaming the bookers at these fields - modern cutting edge circus/comedy/theatre acts would cost more. But Elton/GnR/Arctics cost more than Muse/Coldplay/Pulp but we're not using that as an excuse either...)

Got a bit ranty there, but yeah, I don't mean to attack the festival or anything, it is what it is and they make the choices to put the money where it benefits them the most, but it does mean it's moved away from my tastes consistently over the past 13 years. Ironically by moving where my tastes are standing still and standing still where my tastes are moving on.

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, DeanoL said:

If you have the financial discipline to do so, don't do that. Take the same money and put it in a high interest saving account or an ISA. You'll easily get 5% return on that right now, and your fixed mortgage is probably at 1-2%. So £100 paid off early means you save £1-2 in interest every year, whereas in an ISA that same £100 makes you £5 in a year.

When your fixed deal is finished you can overpay as much as you want so then you take that savings pot as pay off as much as possible.

If you're on a low fix rate mortgage, overpaying is literally one of the worst things you can do with your spare cash right now. You just need the discipline not to touch that "overpayment" savings pot (and if you're unsure on that bit, you can always get a 2 or 3-year fixed rate saver, so you're not actually allowed to get the money out, same as if you'd overpaid on the mortgage).

Actually I checked it out with MSE as there is a calculation for it and based on the amount we have to pay on our mortgage and the amount we are able to overpay it works out better to overpay but yes it definitely depends on your circumstances. You have to remember the 1.5 percent in our case is on a much larger amount than the savings would ever be. If you still have a large amount to pay off overpaying is usually better but if you are closer to the end of your mortgage and have close to the amount in savings then yep stashing it in a high interest savings account would be a much better plan. 

14 hours ago, DeanoL said:

I'm done for now. Maybe in the future I might look at going and camping in LoveFields but:

1) really physically struggling to lug stuff from the car to the campsite these days. Part age, part fitness. 

2) loss of Rivermead/Pylon makes the walk worse, and as we arrive late Wednesday afternoon, it's a pain no longer having a field that's certain to be quiet and still have space. For years we've camped at the back of Rivermead and could all arrive throughout Wednesday/Thursday and be sure we could get a spot near each other. 

3) the site is busier. It works when the weather is nice but I generally can't see it working in a muddy year, with everyone trying to keep to the paths. The paths+the grass either side are now often as busy as the paths used to be in the muddy years. I do think the festival is in for a major shocker when they get the first rainy year as they've just not had one to stress test them since the numbers went up loads. The old behaviour of people just staying in their tents at the campsites when it's raining that used to be relied upon is just not happening any more. So much of the camping is so far out... it's not like when half the site camping was over the Pyramid or Other stage so you could walk 10 minutes, go watch an act, and then go dry off in the tent when it starts raining. People camped in South Park, Lime Kiln, Darble are not wondering back to the tent then out again multiple times a day. You'd head there and it'd have stopped raining again by the time you're back. How busy the site is now on a Wednesday shows just how dedicated people are to having as much fun as possible for their money... which brings me to...

4) the price. It's not too expensive. But I think it *is* too expensive if you're not that interested in any of the headliners or most of the Pyramid/Other programming. Used to be "there's so much do, you don't even need to go to the main stages" - which is still true but there are cheaper ways to get your folk/comedy/circus fix. Speaking of...

5) age/fitness again - I can no longer sit on the floor for three hours chilling in the circus or cabaret tent. An hour or so and my back is screaming at me.

6) my musical tastes haven't changed much. But the festival has changed around me. I don't begrudge it that, it's the one moving with the times, while I'm staying still. But outside of the booking policy for the main stages, the rest has stagnated. Glastonbury used to keep physically growing every few years. More stages, more stuff, space for interesting and innovative new ideas and people to give us innovative new stuff. It's how we got Arcadia, Shangri-La, HMS Charity, the Greenpeace installations. But now there's no space any more. But there's also no willingness to let the old things go. Arcadia was going to go and get replaced by a new thing... by the Arcadia team. The Pier is a nice idea, but it's Joe Rush again. Carhenge was a throwback to the old days of the festival, and was also Joe Rush again. Rimski's Yard is great, love it as an addition, but it's run by the same groups with the same acts that are on at the rest of the T&C field. The Atchin Tan at the top of the T&C field... I don't have anything against the cause of Travellers and it's a neat idea but that's some prime real estate to give to over to something people were really uninterested in. And it's the political equivalent of booking 90s Britpop on the Pyramid all day. If we're going to have an area for a political statement to be made, maybe we could give it to some young people? Leftfield have done a good job at keeping up with the issues that affect the younger generation but certainly much of the rest of the place hasn't. Green Futures feels so very, very dated.

Similarly the way people engage with stand-up comedy these days: most people go to the theatre and watch hour-long shows by acts they really like. Few people go to comedy clubs and watch a bunch of acts do 10-20 minutes. But the latter is still the format for the Cabaret tent. Maybe more acts doing actual full shows that people could make a point of wanting to go and see, rather it just being somewhere for people to drop in or out of.

All of this you can argue either way, that you'd prefer it one way or the other. But to me it's about moving forward rather than standing still. I would rather the music booking policy was what it was in the early 2000s and they booked more of the bands I liked. But it moved on. I can accept that. But the rest of the site has not moved on in the same way. I've been going for 20 years and the Astrolabe still has acts that have played there every year since I first went. And I've read a bunch of Marcus du Sautoy's books and think he is great but does he really need to be doing three shows every festival?

(And yeah, it's because he probably does it for the price of a couple of tickets and there's no budget put in elsewhere - I'm not blaming the bookers at these fields - modern cutting edge circus/comedy/theatre acts would cost more. But Elton/GnR/Arctics cost more than Muse/Coldplay/Pulp but we're not using that as an excuse either...)

Got a bit ranty there, but yeah, I don't mean to attack the festival or anything, it is what it is and they make the choices to put the money where it benefits them the most, but it does mean it's moved away from my tastes consistently over the past 13 years. Ironically by moving where my tastes are standing still and standing still where my tastes are moving on.

That's an excellent post. Nice to see good and well worded criticism. I am still enjoying myself but can indeed see some of the above tipping the balance in future years.

20 hours ago, DeanoL said:

3) the site is busier. It works when the weather is nice but I generally can't see it working in a muddy year, with everyone trying to keep to the paths. The paths+the grass either side are now often as busy as the paths used to be in the muddy years. I do think the festival is in for a major shocker when they get the first rainy year as they've just not had one to stress test them since the numbers went up loads. The old behaviour of people just staying in their tents at the campsites when it's raining that used to be relied upon is just not happening any more. So much of the camping is so far out... it's not like when half the site camping was over the Pyramid or Other stage so you could walk 10 minutes, go watch an act, and then go dry off in the tent when it starts raining. People camped in South Park, Lime Kiln, Darble are not wondering back to the tent then out again multiple times a day. You'd head there and it'd have stopped raining again by the time you're back. How busy the site is now on a Wednesday shows just how dedicated people are to having as much fun as possible for their money

All valid points, regarding being too busy, Eavis (If you can believe everything he comes out with...) recently said to some people that he is negotiating with local farmers to rent an extra 1,000 acres for next year. He didn't explain the purpose. That's a fair size, around 1.5 square miles.

20 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Good to see a post like this that is so well considered, accepting that things have changed/not changed on both sides. Usually people complain about Glastonbury has changed whilst not acknowledging that they have also changed. I agree with some of your points as well. Luckily my musical taste is constantly evolving and I've only ever dipped a toe in some of the cabaret things so whilst some probably is a bit stale it's new to me.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

All valid points, regarding being too busy, Eavis (If you can believe everything he comes out with...) recently said to some people that he is negotiating with local farmers to rent an extra 1,000 acres for next year. He didn't explain the purpose. That's a fair size, around 1.5 square miles.

Maybe the rumour that they're going to move more camping outside the fence to allow for more venues is true.

• Upvote 1

On 8/15/2023 at 11:33 AM, shuttlep said:

I am not adamant I am not going, but if I don't get tickets then it won't be the end of the world

That’s how I’m feeling at the moment. 

We’ll try in October and if we’re not successful we’ll go to Boomtown instead. 

(I expect I’ll feel different nearer the time!!) 

On 7/7/2023 at 9:24 AM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yep. My weekend days are over. It would take something huge to get me back.

I'll be doing Sunday only in 2024, and that's my plan for the foreseeable future. 

Eleven in a row is a very fortunate run.

I try and avoid emotive, immediate post-festival comments like this but after further consideration, I'm even more resolute that 2023 was my last (whole) festival for the foreseeable future, for numerous reasons. As well as some personal milestones in 2024, I feel like I've wrung the place dry, no matter what changes they make or artists they get to play.

As much as I enjoyed it this year, and as much as I crammed in, more than ever in retrospect I got the strange feeling that I really didn't see or do anywhere near as much as I hoped, and I was left with a weird feeling of unfulfillment amongst the euphoria. I've come to the conclusion that I've placed far too much importance on the festival and the build-up and even though I do try and keep a lid on it, especially in the weeks leading up to it, it's still far too consuming. The thing is, I don't know any other way to be, when I really enjoy something, I tend to obsess about it to the point where the anticipation is more exciting than the event itself.

Also, I'm at the age and state of mind where I need almost everything to be perfect. Looking at the weather since (pretty much) the week after the festival, if we'd experienced anything like that at Glastonbury, it would have been a thoroughly miserable experience for me. Ten years ago, I would have been much better equipped mentally to deal with rain or mud, but not anymore. And after a very fortunate run of sunny weekends pretty much since 2016, it feels like another good reason to bow out gracefully. 

I'm lucky enough to be in the catchment area for Sunday tickets, so I'm going to try for that this year. My partner has mentally been in the place I am with the festival since 2019 and only does Sundays these days, so it'll be interesting to enjoy the place over a much reduced length of time. Sure, when the Wednesday comes around next year, it'll be pretty strange, probably a little difficult, but I feel like I can set my expectations quite low and go at the single day with a different perspective. Beyond that, who knows, but if my mindset remains the same into 2024, 2023 may very well turn out to be my last (whole) Glastonbury. And I'm cool with that.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I try and avoid emotive, immediate post-festival comments like this but after further consideration, I'm even more resolute that 2023 was my last (whole) festival for the foreseeable future, for numerous reasons. As well as some personal milestones in 2024, I feel like I've wrung the place dry, no matter what changes they make or artists they get to play.

As much as I enjoyed it this year, and as much as I crammed in, more than ever in retrospect I got the strange feeling that I really didn't see or do anywhere near as much as I hoped, and I was left with a weird feeling of unfulfillment amongst the euphoria. I've come to the conclusion that I've placed far too much importance on the festival and the build-up and even though I do try and keep a lid on it, especially in the weeks leading up to it, it's still far too consuming. The thing is, I don't know any other way to be, when I really enjoy something, I tend to obsess about it to the point where the anticipation is more exciting than the event itself.

Also, I'm at the age and state of mind where I need almost everything to be perfect. Looking at the weather since (pretty much) the week after the festival, if we'd experienced anything like that at Glastonbury, it would have been a thoroughly miserable experience for me. Ten years ago, I would have been much better equipped mentally to deal with rain or mud, but not anymore. And after a very fortunate run of sunny weekends pretty much since 2016, it feels like another good reason to bow out gracefully. 

I'm lucky enough to be in the catchment area for Sunday tickets, so I'm going to try for that this year. My partner has mentally been in the place I am with the festival since 2019 and only does Sundays these days, so it'll be interesting to enjoy the place over a much reduced length of time. Sure, when the Wednesday comes around next year, it'll be pretty strange, probably a little difficult, but I feel like I can set my expectations quite low and go at the single day with a different perspective. Beyond that, who knows, but if my mindset remains the same into 2024, 2023 may very well turn out to be my last (whole) Glastonbury. And I'm cool with that.

Aw that’s a shame but you’ve said it for some time and seems you’ve made your peace with it . I’m sure you won’t be short of keeping busy at other events that might go some way to filling that hole 

54 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yeah that’s a shame but understandable.  If the weather’s bad in 2024 I’m going to adapt and keep to the East side of the festival. Irrespective of that I’m adapting as I get older to keep the festival experience new and exciting. 

On 8/15/2023 at 10:27 AM, Old_Johno said:

My mortgage renewal offer has come through for January, going to be losing £400 a month to the interest increases, my disposable income has basically been wiped out. 

I can’t see tickets being below £350 so for 2 of us with parking, travel and spending money it quickly becomes a lot more of a sacrifice. Combined with how busy it feels now, constant queues and crowds, maybe not.

Will still probably get caught up in the ticket hype though 

Mine was about to go up by £600 a month which we don't have.

Instead we went part interest only to keep the monthly payments the same.

In debt for longer and paying more in the long run though.  But cash today is more important.  Thanks Liz Truss.

2 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Maybe for campervans so they can get rid of bath west showground and the polluting dirty double decker diesels 🤔

Edited by gazzared

34 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Volunteering I presume 🙂 

Yeah... it's the only way I plan to do it from now on. 

As an aside, this year is the first year I've got a guaranteed spot for next year and it's also the first year I'm not sure if I'm going to bother.  Lots of change in my personal circumstances at the moment and I'm thinking about chucking it all in and going travelling instead. 

On 7/7/2023 at 1:17 PM, FuzzyDunlop said:

Tbh, I'd quite like to do that anyway. If my mates dont do - I might look at volunteering

After 14 festivals as a punter i volunteered this year through choice even though I had a ticket. Loved it and deffo volunteering again next year

2 hours ago, stuie said:

Lots of change in my personal circumstances at the moment and I'm thinking about chucking it all in and going travelling instead. 

There's a lot of beautiful places where one could stay for quite some time, for the same cost as Glastonbury. Sounds like you are having a bit of a time of it. I wish you well. 

4 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

That'd certainly help if they want to just keep adding more stuff. They need space for new ideas, at the moment there is no way the festival will find the next Arcadia or Shangri-La team. But unless they're willing to break some ties and retire some stuff, it'll never happen unless they get more space.

I do get it. Most of the stuff at the festival is done for way under market rates and those putting on things become friends of all involved - it'd be a hell of a thing for them to tell the Arcadia team "thanks, but we're going in a different direction next year".

4 hours ago, nikkic said:

That’s how I’m feeling at the moment. 

We’ll try in October and if we’re not successful we’ll go to Boomtown instead. 

(I expect I’ll feel different nearer the time!!) 

i went to boomtown last time there was a fallow year, it was awesome. I really want to go back, but can only afford one festival per year.

45 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

There's a lot of beautiful places where one could stay for quite some time, for the same cost as Glastonbury. Sounds like you are having a bit of a time of it. I wish you well. 

Thank you Mr. Yog. It's not all bad, just change! But it would be good to see some of those beautiful places. 

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

That'd certainly help if they want to just keep adding more stuff. They need space for new ideas, at the moment there is no way the festival will find the next Arcadia or Shangri-La team. But unless they're willing to break some ties and retire some stuff, it'll never happen unless they get more space.

they  would also need fully formed new teams with  ideas to approach them and be the new team. only then could they retire some of the existing stuff.