Bar of the year 2023

Skip997

Any that have proper cider, not that Brothers muck, so:

Cider Bus

Bimble Inn

Bread & Roses

Maceo's

There may be others i've forgotten.

I can't help you if you're talking in regard to music they play as I don't usually stay in them long enough to experience that, apart from Maceo's and the Bimble Inn. Bimble gets extra marks as they let me play on their stage once and they were the only stage to give us free dtinks for playing.

Edited by Johnnyseven

7 hours ago, Skip997 said:

I'm going for The Mez Bar

That's the one done by copperdollar I believe, unfortunately never got in there.

Maceos for me, purely for having Bristol beer factory "independence" on keg and Hecks cider on draught.

Edited by spg
Add comments

Avalon was too busy to enjoy each time I tried this year.

Always have a great time at the Bread & Roses when I go, saw Duo in there this year on Thurs pm who were excellent, and the TapHouse was excellent purely for offering some shade and beer and seating when it was needed most.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

I forget the name but whatever used to be Kasbah on the walk up to West Holts was great this year. Playing a lot of music during the night. Had a great night there before heading to Sensation Seekers for Wheel of Four Tunes.

I ended up there! it was good fun! Def going to do a wheel of 4 tunes myself sometime!

2 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

My backpack.

What's this? Another beer? Don't mind if I do.

I'm with you, my new cooler bag came into its own this year.

It's slightly annoying that the crew bars seem to get a better variety of beer than the ones open to the public 

34 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

I do wonder if should worry the organisers that the best bars appear to be ones the ticket buyers can’t get into??

Crew bars have a lot more time to set up and to ensure a particular atmosphere, which varies dependent on the particular bar and area.

They also generally have a lot of the same clientele over the years which also leads to a more social vibe.

They're essentially a place for crew to relax, get away from the chaos outside , and meet up with old mates.

Unpopular opinion time; IMO some of these bars (Maceos/Broken Britian and to some extent Guerilla) have made the mistake of providing access to general public. I understand it's to make more money and allow crew to hang out with their non-crew mates, but it occasionally leads to them having long queues and having to deny further entry. This can prevent crew from accessing their own bars (Imagine being a tired Oxfam steward waiting a rest and decent pint not being able to access their fav bar). I was pleased to see Maceos put up a crew only notice at the entrance at busy times this year.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

I do wonder if should worry the organisers that the best bars appear to be ones the ticket buyers can’t get into??

I’m sure that there are much better bars at Lovefields and other hospitality areas. Crew bars are a different animal; they are catering for people who are mostly there for over a week, who need to sit down after a shift on their feet and often have different needs to the ticket holders