Ban the f**king flags

Welshinexile

7 hours ago, Xeph1995 said:

The flags are one of my favourite parts of the festival, I don't care if I can't see the stage, we have screens and it's part of the atmosphere. Being at a Headline set when flares and flags are everywhere is banging. 

Tonight, 5000 people will see Elton John and 95000 people will not. That's not fair for the people that would like to see him, which I'll wager is more people than would like to see the flags. 

On 6/23/2023 at 10:02 PM, henry bear said:

Other places to stand are available

This is the thing I hear more than anything else. Where do you start? Maybe you're there with friends. You have "a spot". Move somewhere and block the view of others who have their spot. And wherever you move, unless you shove right down the front, this is your view for big acts now. The maths of everyone moving so they can see round the flags does not compute. 

• Upvote 1

I normally do download festival which did ban them and I miss them cause they were great meeting points ‘meet you at the iron maiden flag’, they were pretty dam useful cause only a handful of people would bring them. But after watching Glasto, I was like jeez, there’s so many flags. Must be frustrating for those trying to watch the band through a sea of flags 

1 hour ago, DTichborne said:

This is the thing I hear more than anything else. Where do you start? Maybe you're there with friends. You have "a spot". Move somewhere and block the view of others who have their spot. And wherever you move, unless you shove right down the front, this is your view for big acts now. The maths of everyone moving so they can see round the flags does not compute. 

I have never watched an act that I literally can’t see because of the flags. Yes they get in the way a bit, but crowds move around a lot between acts and you can reposition if necessary.

The bottom line though is this. The flags have been evident in numbers for 15-20 years. Like them or not, the Eavii clearly recognise that they add to the spectacle and they’re here to stay. Personally, I’ve been going to the festival since long before they appeared, and I think they add to the atmosphere greatly. 

Every year there’s a thread along these lines. You know what you’re in for when you are lucky enough to get a ticket for Glasto. What’s the point of going and moaning about the flags when you know before you go they’ll be there? It’s like going to Download and criticising it for being too loud. 

3 hours ago, DTichborne said:

Tonight, 5000 people will see Elton John and 95000 people will not. That's not fair for the people that would like to see him, which I'll wager is more people than would like to see the flags. 

If your 5k+ people deep you can't see the artist anyway get real. 

2 hours ago, WillyVWade said:

That "30% off" at some gym supply store flag is really f**king me off. Should have your wristband snipped for tht.

Same should go for the country flags. Nobody cares you’re from Wales, mate.

Imagine having to lug one of those poles around all day. Seems a lot of bother to me unless you’re committing to a joke.

12 hours ago, MrBarry465 said:

Objectively untrue, especially on a sloped field. 

A couple of people pointing out that this comes up every year. Maybe there's a reason for that. Maybe there's a reason every other festival stops it, so that everyone who's paid can see the stage. And as for the suggestion that this is like complaining that Download is too loud, that's false equivalence at its worst. 

There is no other respect in which I'm saying "you know what's needed? More rules"... just this particular one where I'm suggesting that a few hundred people stopping most people from being able to see anything is selfish. 

12 hours ago, ICESTONE said:

don't really mind the flags with a bit of a laugh or are a bit random but the flags just to declare what football team you support are a f**king embarrassment and the person holding them should be lined up and pushed into a long drop.

Hahaha this is so true. Imagine advertising how basic you are by carting around a flag that informs everyone that so-and-so must be picked for the England team. 

Unless you happen to be the named so-and-so's mum, this is a total waste of time for everyone concerned. 

23 hours ago, Xeph1995 said:

The flags are one of my favourite parts of the festival, I don't care if I can't see the stage, we have screens and it's part of the atmosphere. Being at a Headline set when flares and flags are everywhere is banging. 

This. I love it when I'm there and after this year I can confirm it looks class on TV as well. 

Not especially bothered about seeing it on telly. It's all about the audio (which I know they're working to improve) and you can see the big screens anyway. 

25 minutes ago, DTichborne said:

Objectively untrue, especially on a sloped field. 

A couple of people pointing out that this comes up every year. Maybe there's a reason for that. Maybe there's a reason every other festival stops it, so that everyone who's paid can see the stage. And as for the suggestion that this is like complaining that Download is too loud, that's false equivalence at its worst. 

There is no other respect in which I'm saying "you know what's needed? More rules"... just this particular one where I'm suggesting that a few hundred people stopping most people from being able to see anything is selfish. 

Nothing changes because all people do is have a bit of a moan on here and that’s that. If you want change then start a petition. Write to the festival. This place is an echo chamber.

On 6/25/2023 at 11:23 AM, Xeph1995 said:

Yeah but some people do care about seeing the stage.

12 hours ago, MrBarry465 said:

Not remotely true. You would be able to see the full stage set up etc waaaay back with no flags. 

18 minutes ago, Homersexual said:

Nothing changes because all people do is have a bit of a moan on here and that’s that. If you want change then start a petition. Write to the festival. This place is an echo chamber.

You're absolutely right, but that's kind of the nature of all Internet forums. It's OK to blow off steam from time to time. I'm normally pretty chilled but these posts in isolation, if you don't know me, will make that look untrue. Ah well. 

(I did write to them about this once) 

I think the fact some love and some hate them means means there should be some sort of compromise.

You need ensure they’re only a certain size/height and only allowed at certain points (eg behind the sound desk). That way they would be less obstructive. It means you could guarantee yourself a spot of seeing the stage if you wanted (which you can’t at the mo) but you’d still get the visual of the flags flying if you’re into flags. 

Haven’t seen it for a couple of festivals now, but used to be a person with 3 Mexico flags in a line, but not fully drawn to the top, and they always had the prime spot to watch.

end result you saw nothing. A real nuisance. 

But the flags, I take one, and it’s purely to find the tent after 10 hours drinking to be honest!

Would it work if the festival allowed people to send their flags in, and have them put up in various tactical places, a bit like they do at football stadiums?

I personally think that the idea of no flags in front of the sound desk is the best way forward though

8 minutes ago, K2SO said:

Would it work if the festival allowed people to send their flags in, and have them put up in various tactical places, a bit like they do at football stadiums?

I personally think that the idea of no flags in front of the sound desk is the best way forward though

The sound desk thing is fair. You can get a good spot if you want - or you can carry a flag - but you can’t get a GREAT spot AND block the view of people behind you. 

Tactical flags would also be sound. 

Edited by strummer77

I like the flags, they add to the atmosphere and its part of the fabric of the festival. Even if they tried to ban them they couldn't. NOS is banned and people just walk around sucking baloons and manage to bring massive plastic bottles of the sh*t in these days. I'd rather they focus their efforts on eradicating that.

2 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

I like the flags, they add to the atmosphere and its part of the fabric of the festival. Even if they tried to ban them they couldn't. NOS is banned and people just walk around sucking baloons and manage to bring massive plastic bottles of the sh*t in these days. I'd rather they focus their efforts on eradicating that.

Indeed, however would we be able to find the people with flags to enforce it.