New stages you'd like to see?

churlie100

Alright, here's another question while we all pass the time.

Say Glasto had the scope to add a couple more stages/tents. What would you want them to be? 

My suggestions:

• A stage specifically for all the semi-ironic nostalgia bait that's slowly increasing at Glasto every year. Not against it at all, but wish there was a stage dedicated to it where people could go for a fun dance and take up a few less slots on the main stages with your Sophie Ellis-Bextors/Rick Astleys/etc. Reckon it'd be really popular with the casual types.
  • An 'Acoustic' stage that functions more as a stage for contemporary singer-songwriters. The existing Acoustic Tent serves a great purpose, but it is largely for older audiences and blues/country fans. Again, absolutely nothing wrong with that, would just like another stage as well for your newer piano/guitar singer-songwriters away from sound bleed to do some quality performances.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

• Upvote 3

Dedicated small British jazz stage curated daily by the artists, collectives and labels, with collaborations, jams and general vibes rather than straight sets from the bigger names that Ezra collective or comet is coming for example would play on the main stages. Heavy focus on instrumental and improvisation rather than vocal acts. No DJ sets. 

Ambient tent. Pitch black, no lights, artists playing long sets. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, collectivisedfarming said:

Dedicated small British jazz stage curated daily by the artists, collectives and labels, with collaborations, jams and general vibes rather than straight sets from the bigger names that Ezra collective or comet is coming for example would play on the main stages. Heavy focus on instrumental and improvisation rather than vocal acts. No DJ sets. 

Ambient tent. Pitch black, no lights, artists playing long sets. 

My first thought on reading the OP was more Jazz. Doesn't have to be exclusively British either. Would love it if it ran until the very early hours too. It would be great if there was a small section of the SE corner that wasn't dance music, so a little jazz tent, and maybe some live reggae...?

Just now, Punksnotdead said:

Surprise, surprise - I'm going to say a stage dedicated to punk music. 🙂

It does seem like a no-brainer to finally get round to introducing an Avalon-sized tent for heavier music. Heavy bands have proved they can attract a decent crowd at the festival and they're evidently very keen to try and broaden the appeal of the festival in other genre directions, so why not this one? Any idea that those crowds are somehow more rowdy or difficult to deal with is a few decades out-of-date at this point.

1 hour ago, st dan said:

An ‘Indie Landfill’ stage. And I probably wouldn’t move from there for three straight days. 

no, but it's like 'Britpop' in that you only use the phrase to describe bands that you don't particularly like.  The ones you like are the good indie, it's the others that are indie landfill!

I definitely think there's space for more indie music at the festival. I feel like it's been deliberately reduced over the last 10 years or so.  There is still plenty available to be booked out there, who are currently touring, and playing at other festivals.  It seems mad that there are supposably 100s of stages at Glastonbury and there's no space for a Williams Green type stage.

Edited by uscore

1 minute ago, uscore said:

no, but it's like 'Britpop' in that you only use the phrase to describe bands that you don't particularly like.  The ones you like are the good indie, it's the others that are indie landfill!

I definitely think there's space for more indie music at the festival. I feel like it's been deliberately reduced over the last 10 years or so.  There is still plenty available to be booked out there, who are currently touring, and playing at other festivals.  It seems mad that there are supposably 100s of stages at Glastonbury and there's no space for a Williams Green type stage.

You think? See for me, now that the time has gone, I’d certainly class The Pigeon Detectives for example as ‘Indie Landfill’ .. but I bloody loved them back in the late 00s! Watched them countless times and they were great fun as a live act.
All those type of bands would go down great on the farm - totally agree with your latter point. 

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

You think? See for me, now that the time has gone, I’d certainly class The Pigeon Detectives for example as ‘Indie Landfill’ .. but I bloody loved them back in the late 00s! Watched them countless times and they were great fun as a live act.
All those type of bands would go down great on the farm - totally agree with your latter point. 

yeah you are right, the pigeon detectives are indie landfill!

Having genre specific stages doesn't feel right.  I like that the main stages seem to have a flavour each, but variety within that.

I agree that the stage missing most is William's Green.

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

A tent for any tories in attendance. Give them a special announcement they seriously can’t miss on the Wednesday evening, and when they’re all gathered, drop the sides down and lock them in until Monday morning. 

Brilliant! Do you do stand up, by any chance? I'd like to book you for a wedding. 

1 hour ago, uscore said:

This is my interpretation of indie landfill too.. I accidentally had XFF on the other week, and one of the DJs promised more indie landfill later on, I was rightly incredulous with rage that they used the phrase wrong (although whatever they played probably was Indie Landfill)

A stage dedicated to techno.

Outside a few acts dotted throughout the SE corner, SH or Arcadia, usually playing inbetween house or DNB acts, there's almost no techno at Glastonbury whatsoever.

The closest thing is usually a run of 3 acts at somewhere like The Temple.

Given that there's about 30 stages that exclusively have DnB or house acts for the whole weekend, I don't know why there's none with a techno programme, especially given its mainstream popularity in recent years.