Waiting for Pyramid Headliners!

CR77

12 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Never understood the point of being any further back than the mixing desk towers.

May as well not bother, go somewhere else and watch whatever act it was back home on iplayer.

Personally for Pyramid or Other, it's pit or nothing.

After being rooted to the spot for several hours near the front for Noel Gallagher / Paul McCartney, I couldn't face it again on the Sunday when the Pyramid starting filling up for Diana Ross!  So found a spot really far back where I could stretch my legs - LOL!  Sadly though, being that far away, I didn't feel part of the proceedings and just wandered off for some food halfway though her set.  Having said that, I caught the end of Radiohead in 2017, was really far back, but it was fine - probably because it was night though and I could just enjoy the music and light show etc.  So time of day really comes into play I guess.

23 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Never understood the point of being any further back than the mixing desk towers.

May as well not bother, go somewhere else and watch whatever act it was back home on iplayer.

Personally for Pyramid or Other, it's pit or nothing.

Agreed. With regard to Other, I've never struggled to get in front of the barrier.

The Pyramid is different, but if you are back any further, there's a good chance you won't see the stage due to flags and you'll be surrounded by chatterers.

I don't necessarily care about being close to the act, but I want to see them rather than the screens and be surrounded by people who are as focussed on the performance as I am.

1 hour ago, maelzoid said:

Agreed. With regard to Other, I've never struggled to get in front of the barrier.

The Pyramid is different, but if you are back any further, there's a good chance you won't see the stage due to flags and you'll be surrounded by chatterers.

I don't necessarily care about being close to the act, but I want to see them rather than the screens and be surrounded by people who are as focussed on the performance as I am.

I'm a bit like this.  Due to my weak bladder these days being right at the front for a biggie like Elton ain't going to happen.  But I'm happy with being far back if it's a good atmosphere and there's not a load of chatterers around- I bloody hate gig chatterers 

• Upvote 1

After 18 in a row (1998 to 2018) I've been ticketless for the last 2, but not this year. 😁

I've spent many a headliner at the rear of the inner barriered area. Get the timing right and I can get to the barrier to rest my back onto. Often also space to put my chair up to for a sit during changeover without being in the way of any walk throughs.

This year - GnR - want to be there but haven't decided how early to go in

Elton - want to see Cat too, and happy to watch Blondie, then I'll have a kip during Lil Naz, so I'll be in there for the duration from the start of Cat. 

5 hours ago, airwaves said:

This year - GnR - want to be there but haven't decided how early to go in

This! 

Feels like the most realistic act to get down the front for and I'm well up for them as well. But also don't want to compromise on my experience elsewhere either.

As for Elton ... Also want to be in the action. Was stuck at the back for Macca and whole it was still great I would have enjoyed it more being closer im sure. Just don't want to forfeit 4 hours for the privilege!

20 hours ago, danssol said:

Was at the front with my daughter last year for Billie Eilesh. Popped in before Sam Fender and sipped water until finished. It was nice seeing the big fans at the front losing their shit. Part of me feels the time was a bit wasted. Conversation this year has moved on to being at the front for Maneskin and the Arctic Monkeys 🙄 pet shop boys was a doddle to get front and centre, lovely crowd. 

Yep, they were a couple of songs in by the time I got there, had no problem reaching my mates who were pretty far forwards. Had a lot of crowd to get through but people weren't just not being dicks, they were actively helping me.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Yep, they were a couple of songs in by the time I got there, had no problem reaching my mates who were pretty far forwards. Had a lot of crowd to get through but people weren't just not being dicks, they were actively helping me.

Pet Shop Boys night on BBC 2 tonight - sadly they're not showing last years Glastonbury set, but they are showing their 2019 Hyde Park show.

On 5/19/2023 at 4:48 PM, airwaves said:

Elton - want to see Cat too, and happy to watch Blondie, then I'll have a kip during Lil Naz, so I'll be in there for the duration from the start of Cat. 

The bladder of the Gods!

• Upvote 1

I've rarely had the patience to stand around longer than 30 minutes waiting for an act and I would never watch through a sub-slot just so I could have a good spot for the headliner. The stress of getting to, and then trying to keep my spot, while worrying about getting food, drinks, visiting the loo, putting up with picnic blanket-w*nkers etc is too much for me.

GnR I imagine will be a fairly comfortable crowd. Busy but with space to move.

Elton, I'm really worried about. I can't stand Lil Nas X and have no desire to waste 2 hours of festival time. Having said that, I'll likely quit the beers early on Sunday and stick to neat spirits to cut down on toilet breaks during his set. As long as I'm near enough to see his hands moving on the ivories and simultaneously next to a speaker, that'll be good enough for me. I've also used the cutting in method as detailed in other posts. It's great.

On 5/19/2023 at 1:17 PM, paulshane said:

I'm too old for the hassle of trying to get to the front for a Pyramid headliner these days - I usually watch from the back, in line with the tree mostly. Usually theres space and no hassle to pop to the loo.

But the other stages, I'm always up for that, got to the front for Wet Leg (not technically a headliner I know, but it was busy!) , whcih was amazing, and West Holts is pretty easy to get right to the front as well, got a top spot for the most recent Underworld set.

Don't think Ive ever been in a bigger crush when TLC were on at West Holts last year. Took a good hour to get in from the back to the front. too many people there for sure . 

25 minutes ago, bigbilly said:

Don't think Ive ever been in a bigger crush when TLC were on at West Holts last year. Took a good hour to get in from the back to the front. too many people there for sure . 

And they were easily one of the worst acts I saw last year!

27 minutes ago, bigbilly said:

We were front left. Loads of room.

And yes, they were fucking terrible.

2 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

We were front left. Loads of room.

And yes, they were fucking terrible.

Front left prob a good spot, we walked from the back to front right , was a proper nightmare 

I don't like front-front anymore, because of the enormous gap between barrier and stage and all the distracting stuff that goes on there. A little bit back is better, but I do like to be in the pit.

I had an opposite experience. Was on the barrier behind the pit for Primal Scream, but intended to go further back up the hill to meet my friends to watch the Stones together. However, it turned out to be such a good spot that I opted to stay put. The Stones were fantastic. It was a good decision.

Does anyone have any recommendations how to get a good spot for the Pyramid stage having arrived last minute from Woodsies? I believe that front right side can get super shoulder to shoulder!

I like to be as close as possible, preferably in the pit, but I'll only get to Arctic Monkeys with minutes to spare as I'll be seeing Warpaint beforehand.

Elton is the only headliner I plan to see at the pyramid this year, but I also want to see Yusef, Blondie and Lil Nas X so I’m content with staying at the pyramid all afternoon Sunday with a box of wine somewhere in the middle near a speaker. Worked out well this year 

Never been in the Pyramid pit, normally aim for somewhere around the sound desks. Right side is better than left because of a bit more elevation. Metal path is quite handy for getting where you want in the crowd.

• 2 weeks later...