Waiting for Pyramid Headliners!

CR77

For Macca last year i was quite content with being up the hill a bit, in the knowledge that itd be a bit far away, but would give a classic stage and crowd view. i was watching on me own so scoped a spot keeping a bit of an eye on the people around me, hoping they wouldnt be knobheads. And i did alright, they were lovely! a group of scousers are typically always going to be nice people, as long as they're not going to crap on about football, anyways . . . 

Dont know if i'll be able to find a big set of Watford/Hertfordshire types for Elton on the sunday 😄 ill try though! 

44 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Not really a problem though.

There's very few acts on the pyramid that are "danceable" to.

Most at best are maybe sway a bit and wave your arms around.

Talking of danceable - before Paul McCartney came on I was genuinely worried about being in a crush situation... realised afterwards that his top-tapping songs were unlikely to ever cause any sudden crowd surges.  Maybe Live and Let Die... but everyone was shattered by then anyway!

Looking forward to Guns n' Roses this year... certain potential for crowd surges there, but even though I consider their booking a major coup I doubt it'll actually be anywhere near capacity, so should be fine for an end-of-Lizzo arrival and decent spot without fear of being squashed.

2 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

The best spot is certainly within hauling distance of the mid barrier. Then if it all kicks off you just end up being pulled over the top - worst is mid pit or mid the section behind as you're in a bit of trouble there if you need help. Not sure yet where I want to be for GnR.

Saw them last year at Spurs Stadium... got really near the front and everyone was unbelievably respectful and looking out for eachother - lots of pogoing, rather than moshing!  I'd like to think it'll be like that on the Pyramid, but I'm not sure!  Think I might hang back a little and just be grateful that I saw them so close-up last year!

2 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

I spent most of Saturday at the Pyramid last year (AJ Tracey > HAIM > Noel Gallagher > Paul McCartney) and our group were stood about 20 yards in from the Cider Bus exit....just past the toilets, what our group noticed is there A LOT of people who stand near the path as the ground is slightly raised, but if you can get through that wall there is usually a lot of space.

During Macca I went out for a beer/toilet run, when I came back some people were refusing to move saying 'there's no room mate' unaware that 10-15 yards in front of them there was room to move about....one bloke apologised after he realised I had come past 10 mins earlier and that indeed there was just a massive line of people squashed together near the path then big gaps further into the field.

An image of the field on the screens between acts would be amazing there are often huge big gaps with people compressed into areas nearby. 

The classic is the edge of a tent just inside and outside it is often shoulder to shoulder but 5 yards in there is space to dance. 

I've never arrived for a pyramid headliner more than around half hour early. I've always ended up with a semi reasonable place to stand.

I think GnR will be a lot less busy than your standard Pyramid headliner this year, Elton will be rammajamma and Arctics will be usual busy.

I'm planning to see all of them, will want good spaces for the first 2. Planning on arriving about 30-40 mins before for both and working my way in if possible. Usually I come in from the side where the pylons are and work my way in, I find that's easier than the other side for whatever reason. GnR I'd imagine will be easier, there will be a lot of churn after Lizzo.

1 hour ago, balti-pie said:

For Macca last year i was quite content with being up the hill a bit, in the knowledge that itd be a bit far away, but would give a classic stage and crowd view. i was watching on me own so scoped a spot keeping a bit of an eye on the people around me, hoping they wouldnt be knobheads. And i did alright, they were lovely! a group of scousers are typically always going to be nice people, as long as they're not going to crap on about football, anyways . . . 

Dont know if i'll be able to find a big set of Watford/Hertfordshire types for Elton on the sunday 😄 ill try though! 

I'm planning to be near the hill in my watford shirt. If you find me by sheer coincidence I'll be nice 😄

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Breeze said:

An image of the field on the screens between acts would be amazing there are often huge big gaps with people compressed into areas nearby. 

The classic is the edge of a tent just inside and outside it is often shoulder to shoulder but 5 yards in there is space to dance. 

Yep...especially when its raining!

On the Thursday in 2013 I went to see The Pharcyde at the Wow! stage in the Silver Hayes field, approx 5-10 mins before they were due on it started raining heavily and a lot of people who were sat at a cocktail bar or on the grass nearby ran into the tent then stood facing outwards waiting for it to stop.  Then a lot of people who were trying to get in for The Pharcyde couldn't get in due to this wall of people sheltering from the rain which then caused a few arguments between those hiding from the rain and those wanting in to watch the band.

Not long after they came on (and to their credit) one of the group actually said 'look I know you're sheltering from the rain but your wall is preventing our fans getting in to watch us and if you're going to stand there you could do the decent thing and turn round and look at the stage'  A fair few embarrassed faces then turned round or just made a dart for it elsewhere!

When I eventually got through I found there was an absolute ton of space it was just from the outside it looked packed due to the rain shelterers!

Edited by gooner1990

3 hours ago, dingbat2 said:

You an always get a decent spot if you head to the left of the stage, past the merchandise/WaterAid kiosk. Then just slip in to the side of the stage, not pushing no shoving, and quite easy to get in ant out if you need for a comfort break. Yes you're not at the front barrier, you are pretty damn close to the front, can see the screen if needed and feel the atmosphere of all the punters in front of you. There's no need to get there early, and you really feel close to the action. If you want to get a bit closer you can politely slip though until it gets jammed to get a bit closer, but you will be really close without the stress, and most punters are nice that far back as long as your not pushing through a space which doesnt exist, and as long as your are polite and friendly. Have done it for years now and I am surprised its still possible with the crowds. It will be absolutely rammed further back but you can usually slip in quite easily and get a lot closer if you head in that way 

Sssssshhhhhhh!

21 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Sssssshhhhhhh!

Lol. to be fair, I think I have mentioned it every year for the last 10 years or so and every year there's still loads of space there!. Yet it can be rammed further back and towards the middle, which is a lot further from the front. And I think you get less dickheads there as well, not sure why, but its usually a good crowd there, I think helped because there is more room to move. I think people assume if it is rammed where you are at the Pyramid, it must be rammed further ahead, and as its always quite rammed where the path from the market area enters the pyramids stage, near the toilets. But if you head right up  to the Wateraid kiosk/merch desk you can nearly always pretty much walke all the way to the green fence in front of the screen on the left of the stage. You can usually then get a bit closer to the middle as the areas is usually a lot less crowded than the middle

I'm too old for the hassle of trying to get to the front for a Pyramid headliner these days - I usually watch from the back, in line with the tree mostly. Usually theres space and no hassle to pop to the loo.

But the other stages, I'm always up for that, got to the front for Wet Leg (not technically a headliner I know, but it was busy!) , whcih was amazing, and West Holts is pretty easy to get right to the front as well, got a top spot for the most recent Underworld set.

last year was the first year ive attempted to get up close .... managed to get fairly close for Macca by moving in after Noel about 3 rows back but off to the right. but it was damn hard work there was a girl crouched on the floor next to me so i felt quite hemmed in and was struggling to find a way of shifting my feet about without treading on her .  Pet Shop boys I had @Kalopsia to thank as he gave up his place on the barrier after years and years ( the band not time ) and I moved in to his place . not sure id do it again tbh was damn hard work not peeing and not drinking for a few hours . 

7 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

last year was the first year ive attempted to get up close .... managed to get fairly close for Macca by moving in after Noel about 3 rows back but off to the right. but it was damn hard work there was a girl crouched on the floor next to me so i felt quite hemmed in and was struggling to find a way of shifting my feet about without treading on her .  Pet Shop boys I had @Kalopsia to thank as he gave up his place on the barrier after years and years ( the band not time ) and I moved in to his place . not sure id do it again tbh was damn hard work not peeing and not drinking for a few hours . 

No need to thank me, happy to help 😊 

• Like 1

People scatter as soon as the sub finishes to go to the toilet and grab another drink ect I've always found.

As soon as this happens you can get a great spot, you might not be against the barrier but imo that's not a good spot anyway.

Ive always managed to get a good middle front spot by going at this time.

Edited by Xeph1995

Am I the only one who thinks hanging off the barrier is shit?  You can't see properly because of the angle and can't move or dance.  Never understood it TBF.

Only ever been in the pit at El Pointo twice.  Nearly pissed myself trying to get out the first time, took a good 15 minutes to exit and get to the troughs. Second time was near the centre/back barrier and couldn't see shit for the flag waving cnuts.  Never again.

14 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

Sorry!

You'd better be.  Don't give away the secrets! 😉

5 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Am I the only one who thinks hanging off the barrier is shit?  You can't see properly because of the angle and can't move or dance.  Never understood it TBF.

Only ever been on the barrier at the Other Stage... was good, but felt really self-conscious with the TV cameras flying past every few seconds!  I guess it's the best place to be if you're going to be there all day as it's something to lean against.  In terms of views though, I prefer to be further back anyway so I can really take in the atmosphere and feel part of something.

Never understood the point of being any further back than the mixing desk towers.

May as well not bother, go somewhere else and watch whatever act it was back home on iplayer.

Personally for Pyramid or Other, it's pit or nothing.