Waiting for Pyramid Headliners!

CR77

Not sure I could be bothered to wait around for an act…time is precious at Glastonbury! Last year I went and saw Tim Burgess at William’s Green (with about 20 other people in there!) and left to see McCartney…but the picnic blanket/chair w*nkers were out in full force so I gave up and instead saw the brilliant Roisin Murphy on West Holts. McCartney looked better on TV compared to where I would have been in that field….

When I went to my first festival (Leeds 2007), me and my girlfriend got to the second row from the front for the very first act and stayed there for the entire  day, only for her to make us leave before the headliner came on. Fuck knows how I managed that, especially as it was a certified scorcher and I’m fairly certain we didn’t have any kind of drink or food with us the entire day - fuelled purely on our love for mid-00’s alt rock. 

My Macca experience was not good. Started moving forward as Noel was wrapping up, and knew we wouldn't get in front of the barrier. Ended up between the two mixing towers. This had the potential to be good, but was surrounded by so many coked-up dickheads who either yelled through the songs they knew, or talked through the ones they didn't, and spent two and half hours wobbling and constantly crashing into me. Plus, from that spot I could barely see anything on stage due to all the flags, so more or less watched it on the screens. Flags look cool on TV, but it's shit for so many people in the audience, they should be banned from the pit. And it was far too crowded in there to be able to move comfortably away.

I'm not chancing it this year, I'll watch all of Lil Nas X from the pit, even though I have no interest in his music whatsoever. It's not ideal as I'd like to catch WOD, and feel I'll be taking up space a real LNX fan could enjoy, but I cannot bear to have a repeat of my Macca experience for Elton.

1 minute ago, rwhitehouse13 said:

and instead saw the brilliant Roisin Murphy on West Holts.

Did you by any chance get there for her entry to and exit from the stage.

One of the cleverest things I've seen in a live performance anywhere.

• Upvote 1

Was at the front with my daughter last year for Billie Eilesh. Popped in before Sam Fender and sipped water until finished. It was nice seeing the big fans at the front losing their shit. Part of me feels the time was a bit wasted. Conversation this year has moved on to being at the front for Maneskin and the Arctic Monkeys 🙄 pet shop boys was a doddle to get front and centre, lovely crowd. 

i've always found at both pyramid/other if you stand at the side of the front on the right hand side you can normally slide in to the front if you get there just as the previous act finishes and you don't mind walking across a tide of people leaving.   Last year on the Saturday was tough - we ended up (more by luck than anything) at the front row for Haim and decided to stay there for McCartney.  The show was amazing, but the wait without a planned wee/food was not.

Edited by Jon F

1 minute ago, maelzoid said:

Flags look cool on TV, but it's shit for so many people in the audience, they should be banned from the pit.

90% of them are shit anyway.

I get that they are useful for locating people, but 100% agree that they should be banned from the pit.

Just now, Jon F said:

i've always found at both pyramid/other if you stand at the side of the front on the right hand side you can normally slide in to the front if you get there just as the previous act finishes and you don't mind walking across a tide of people leaving.  

That's correct.

Go to the right hand side everyone.

That's the right.

The right hand side please.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

My Macca experience was not good. Started moving forward as Noel was wrapping up, and knew we wouldn't get in front of the barrier. Ended up between the two mixing towers. This had the potential to be good, but was surrounded by so many coked-up dickheads who either yelled through the songs they knew, or talked through the ones they didn't, and spent two and half hours wobbling and constantly crashing into me. Plus, from that spot I could barely see anything on stage due to all the flags, so more or less watched it on the screens. Flags look cool on TV, but it's shit for so many people in the audience, they should be banned from the pit. And it was far too crowded in there to be able to move comfortably away.

I'm not chancing it this year, I'll watch all of Lil Nas X from the pit, even though I have no interest in his music whatsoever. It's not ideal as I'd like to catch WOD, and feel I'll be taking up space a real LNX fan could enjoy, but I cannot bear to have a repeat of my Macca experience for Elton.

You're always going to get coked up dickheads but its amazing how quickly things can change by simply moving a little. A few metres away is usually all it takes.

I tend to go nowhere near the front. Never seen the appeal of being crammed in plus my wife is short so pointless for her seeing nothing but someone's sweaty back.

As long as I'm fairly near some speakers further back I'm happy with that. Got to be able to hear it.

I am slightly concerned that Elton this year is going to be a borderline write-off. I'd love to see QOTSA (or Phoenix, or Alt-J), but Elton is a genuine possibility for an 'I was there!' set, so it has to be done. I have a horrible feeling that getting there even 45/60 mins before will be futile and you'll be stood halfway back to Wells.

As I've mentioned before, I'm not expecting to be at the barrier for AM, but I do at least expect to be able to see them, whereas Elton gives off vibes of 'he's somewhere over there'

Just now, shuttlep said:

never been to the front of the pyramid

you won't catch me where i can's dance

Not really a problem though.

There's very few acts on the pyramid that are "danceable" to.

Most at best are maybe sway a bit and wave your arms around.

21 minutes ago, danssol said:

pet shop boys was a doddle to get front and centre, lovely crowd. 

I was there and agree 100%. Compared to everyone who surrounded me at Macca, the PSB audience were friendly and chilled while waiting, and dancing and singing for the gig. It was a perfect audience experience for me.

5 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I was there and agree 100%. Compared to everyone who surrounded me at Macca, the PSB audience were friendly and chilled while waiting, and dancing and singing for the gig. It was a perfect audience experience for me.

I also agree. Proper Glastonbury crowd.

It usually the same at West Holts, regardless of who is playing.

29 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Agreed, it was such a fun set. The crowd atmosphere was great and it was so nice to watch a headline set, be in the thick of it but still have a bit of space to properly enjoy myself.

Zero regrets picking Roisin over Paul.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't be too fussed about being down the front for Elton.

He spends pretty much the whole show sat behind his piano, so you'll be missing very little by being further back.

And if his O2 show is anything to go by, if you're down the front on the right hand side, your view of him will be obscured by the piano for most of the set.

I did 6 hours in the front pit for Noel & McCartney last year. To be honest, apart from the weeing situation, it was fine. I wouldn't particularly want to do it again though, not least because of how my back felt after it - I had to call it a night.

I think if you're determined, and you have someone with you who is quite good at manoeuvring through crowds - you can still get pretty close. I'll be giving it a go for Arctic Monkeys this time

1 hour ago, dingbat2 said:

You an always get a decent spot if you head to the left of the stage, past the merchandise/WaterAid kiosk. Then just slip in to the side of the stage, not pushing no shoving, and quite easy to get in ant out if you need for a comfort break. Yes you're not at the front barrier, you are pretty damn close to the front, can see the screen if needed and feel the atmosphere of all the punters in front of you. There's no need to get there early, and you really feel close to the action. If you want to get a bit closer you can politely slip though until it gets jammed to get a bit closer, but you will be really close without the stress, and most punters are nice that far back as long as your not pushing through a space which doesnt exist, and as long as your are polite and friendly. Have done it for years now and I am surprised its still possible with the crowds. It will be absolutely rammed further back but you can usually slip in quite easily and get a lot closer if you head in that way 

Shhhh don't tell everyone this 😉

Ive done this for years without any issues. For Paul McCartney I left after 30 mins, went to watch Jamie T, ran back, headed down the left hand side and caught the final 15-20 mins! 

1 hour ago, p.pete said:

Only proper time was arriving during Royal Blood then XX -> Radiohead.  The killer at Pyramid is there is a full hour between sub and headliner - might not mind so much if there were constant bands on.  Once Royal Blood finished and everyone shifted position as best they could, everyone round me sort of looked at each other in a 'right, we're spending the next 5/6 hours together' way and it was a good laugh - siege mentality maybe.

That effort got me nowhere near the barrier, maybe middle-middle of the pit.  I might do it again, really enjoyed it and didn't regret it - but would have to be something special (to me).

Lots of good Pyramid stuff this year - expecting Lizzo & Elton to be rammed - but nothing I'll be making an effort for.

I got in the front for Radiohead after Royal Blood, it wasn't too bad getting in but soon filled up and still a long wait. Fair play for standing through that Royal Blood performance, I quite like their songs but thought that set was really boring with a the posing between songs. 

44 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Yes, it was awesome. The whole set was incredible and one of my highlights last year, so glad I went, one of my best Glastonbury decisions!

my macca experience was quite something, by which I didn't go see him.

Left Caribou in good time, shot over to the acoustic stage alarmingly early so I snuck into a crew area for a posh poo 😅, then ordered two espresso martinis at the tiny cocktail bar. 

Met my wife and friend for the start of the Waterboys. after those drinks I was on one.

41 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I'll watch all of Lil Nas X from the pit, even though I have no interest in his music whatsoever.

See you there. We can give each other knowing nods as we wait.

Elton will be one of those Stones/Macca/Dolly size crowds, and there's no hope of getting in the pit without enduring - sorry, enjoying - Lil Nas X. I know it's the same set half way back, but I missed Macca and failed to get a good spot for Kendrick, so I'm going to try and go for it with Reg.

Last time I was in the pit (can't remember who for), I remember feeling the splash back on my calves as somebody took an open piss right behind me. I turned around and told him I could tell what he was doing. In fairness he was mortified and went beetroot red, but that wasn't enjoyable.

Aside from Elton, I'm not going to bother getting up in the pit anywhere really. A good position without being in the thick of it is fine for me. The only caveat to that is the Park. A good frontish central position is pretty essential for that stage.