Waiting for Pyramid Headliners!

CR77

Ok, so there have been times where I've wanted to grab a good spot for popular Pyramid acts... waited 3 hours in front section for both Kylie and Paul McCartney as I knew they'd be busy.  The only problem is that once it starts filling up you're rooted to the spot for ages and it can get quite uncomfortable.  By the time the act comes on my legs are aching and to be honest it's harder to fully enjoy the set I've just waited all that time for!  Madness!  Actually, loads of people got fished out of that front section by security last year before Macca came on due to exhaustion - a lift over the barrier was literally the only way out as it was so rammed in the end.  Anyway... as much as I'd like to be down the front this year for Elton, I think I'll hang fire and just turn up nearer the time of his set and accept I'll be watching from a distance!

Anyone else have the same dilemma re: popular headliners?!  Ever waited, rooted to the spot, for ages and afterwards wished you hadn't?!

1 minute ago, CR77 said:

Ok, so there have been times where I've wanted to grab a good spot for popular Pyramid acts... waited 3 hours in front section for both Kylie and Paul McCartney as I knew they'd be busy.  The only problem is that once it starts filling up you're rooted to the spot for ages and it can get quite uncomfortable.  By the time the act comes on my legs are aching and to be honest it's harder to fully enjoy the set I've just waited all that time for!  Madness!  Actually, loads of people got fished out of that front section by security last year before Macca came on due to exhaustion - a lift over the barrier was literally the only way out as it was so rammed in the end.  Anyway... as much as I'd like to be down the front this year for Elton, I think I'll hang fire and just turn up nearer the time of his set and accept I'll be watching from a distance!

Anyone else have the same dilemma re: popular headliners?!  Ever waited, rooted to the spot, for ages and afterwards wished you hadn't?!

My bladder is crap so that’s my issue! I tend to arrive late ish and come in via the side and hope 

10 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Some people literally had camping ropes blocking off people from getting forward.

Irresponsible, selfish and potentially dangerous. Both the ropes and the people should have been removed.

Actually I'd go further than that. GFL should have demanded to see their tickets and had them removed from the registration database and blocked from re registering.

Anyway, the longest I can remember waiting for a headliner was an hour for Beyonce.

Edited by Skip997
  • Upvote 2

i've never done it at Glastonbury but i've done it for Springsteen.

twice i've been on the rail, elbows on the stage, which takes a LOT of standing and waiting and in the end i didn't enjoy it at all (actually enjoyed the process of getting to the front more than being at the front).

way prefer - whether Glastonbury or anywhere else - to be in a position where i can come and go easy enough and have a bit of space.

I've definately seen bands before the headliner that I probably would have skipped if they weren't on pre headliner (noel last year for instance) in order to get a decent position but I find there is still a lot of churn in between acts so if you have someone "saving" your space (by that I mean a partner or group of people to go back to) you will be able to get back to where you were if you are polite and just going to the loo/ bar between bands. 

Only proper time was arriving during Royal Blood then XX -> Radiohead.  The killer at Pyramid is there is a full hour between sub and headliner - might not mind so much if there were constant bands on.  Once Royal Blood finished and everyone shifted position as best they could, everyone round me sort of looked at each other in a 'right, we're spending the next 5/6 hours together' way and it was a good laugh - siege mentality maybe.

That effort got me nowhere near the barrier, maybe middle-middle of the pit.  I might do it again, really enjoyed it and didn't regret it - but would have to be something special (to me).

Lots of good Pyramid stuff this year - expecting Lizzo & Elton to be rammed - but nothing I'll be making an effort for.

31 minutes ago, sisco said:

My bladder is crap so that’s my issue! I tend to arrive late ish and come in via the side and hope 

Came in via the side 3 songs into Pet Shop Boys last year and got an amazing spot - and that didn't involved pushing past anyone - there were just lots of little pockets of space here and there.

And yeah... the bladder thing...!  Grabbing a good spot, but knowing I have to pace myself for several hours, isn't the best way to enjoy fully a headliner either!

You an always get a decent spot if you head to the left of the stage, past the merchandise/WaterAid kiosk. Then just slip in to the side of the stage, not pushing no shoving, and quite easy to get in ant out if you need for a comfort break. Yes you're not at the front barrier, you are pretty damn close to the front, can see the screen if needed and feel the atmosphere of all the punters in front of you. There's no need to get there early, and you really feel close to the action. If you want to get a bit closer you can politely slip though until it gets jammed to get a bit closer, but you will be really close without the stress, and most punters are nice that far back as long as your not pushing through a space which doesnt exist, and as long as your are polite and friendly. Have done it for years now and I am surprised its still possible with the crowds. It will be absolutely rammed further back but you can usually slip in quite easily and get a lot closer if you head in that way 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Only proper time was arriving during Royal Blood then XX -> Radiohead.  The killer at Pyramid is there is a full hour between sub and headliner - might not mind so much if there were constant bands on.  Once Royal Blood finished and everyone shifted position as best they could, everyone round me sort of looked at each other in a 'right, we're spending the next 5/6 hours together' way and it was a good laugh - siege mentality maybe.

That effort got me nowhere near the barrier, maybe middle-middle of the pit.  I might do it again, really enjoyed it and didn't regret it - but would have to be something special (to me).

Lots of good Pyramid stuff this year - expecting Lizzo & Elton to be rammed - but nothing I'll be making an effort for.

Middle-middle of the pit sounds like my worst nightmare!  When I turned up for Kylie, there was LOADS of space down the front, only the front barrier itself was fully taken.  I decided though to grab a spot on the barrier at the back, so I had something to lean on for the next three hours.  I just didn't fancy being squashed up in the middle of the pit - kudos to anyone who can hack that for an extended amount of time! 

I spent most of Saturday at the Pyramid last year (AJ Tracey > HAIM > Noel Gallagher > Paul McCartney) and our group were stood about 20 yards in from the Cider Bus exit....just past the toilets, what our group noticed is there A LOT of people who stand near the path as the ground is slightly raised, but if you can get through that wall there is usually a lot of space.

During Macca I went out for a beer/toilet run, when I came back some people were refusing to move saying 'there's no room mate' unaware that 10-15 yards in front of them there was room to move about....one bloke apologised after he realised I had come past 10 mins earlier and that indeed there was just a massive line of people squashed together near the path then big gaps further into the field.

Edited by gooner1990

6 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

You an always get a decent spot if you head to the left of the stage, past the merchandise/WaterAid kiosk. Then just slip in to the side of the stage, not pushing no shoving, and quite easy to get in ant out if you need for a comfort break. Yes you're not at the front barrier, you are pretty damn close to the front, can see the screen if needed and feel the atmosphere of all the punters in front of you. There's no need to get there early, and you really feel close to the action. If you want to get a bit closer you can politely slip though until it gets jammed to get a bit closer, but you will be really close without the stress, and most punters are nice that far back as long as your not pushing through a space which doesnt exist, and as long as your are polite and friendly. Have done it for years now and I am surprised its still possible with the crowds. It will be absolutely rammed further back but you can usually slip in quite easily and get a lot closer if you head in that way 

Think that'll be my approach for Elton!  Worked for me for Killers 2019 - although Elton will be way more popular!  I like to be near the front so I can feel part of the performance etc.  Have plenty of friends though who much prefer to hang way back and take it all in from a distance.

1 minute ago, Punksnotdead said:

There's far too much going on at Glastonbury to wait 3 or 4 hours just to see one act. If there's something I'm desperate to see, I might get there half an hour early & I've usually found a decent spot. Being on the front barrier is overrated anyway!

one of my friends convinced me to go in the front pit for Liam Gallagher in 2019......was shite (squashed in) and just full of people filming the gig.

3 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

For Macca we turned up just as Noel was finishing and ummed and arred about moving forward. we just went for it in the end through the Blanket Sea and ended up next to the left hand sound desk in the middle. Not bad. That was as far as possible without being a wnker.

Hate the blankets, but maybe they actually help break up the crowds a little?  I'm not sure.  I got to the Pyramid during the act before Noel Gallagher.  I was near the middle, and one row back from the second barrier - ie the bit immediately behind the pit.  Was fairly spacious when I got there, but after Noel Gallagher it got more and more rammed - to the point where I was considering a swift exit over the barrier.  Genuinely feared there might be a crush.  We got nowhere near that of course, but it was a concern for a while.  Several OAPs got fished out of the pit though - wasn't nice to see - must have been very scary for them.  And sad as they've probably been waiting all day, in an originally great spot, to see Paul McCartney.

My favoured spot is always just in front of the crush barrier. Normally if I stand anywhere else I can’t hear the music over the sound of people tutting because I’ve stood in front of them and blocked their view. 

At least with the crush barrier at my back I’ve got a space to lean on. I’m not worried about a sea of people in front of me as I can see over them anyway. 

51 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

If I came across a roped off section in front if the Pyramid/any stage I’d trample right through that shit, especially pre-headliner. What a dickhead thing to do.

Id genuinely take the ropes down, fuck that man, that's some top class c**t behaviour.

59 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

I did try and get there early for Macca last year but couldn't get through the sea of full picnic blankets, camping chairs and whatever else. Some people literally had camping ropes blocking off people from getting forward.

This is another type of behaviour that drives me up the wall, I can forgive chairs but picnic blankets at the front area of a big stage is obnoxious and takes up too much room, go sit at the back if you wanna sit down. 

I'd love to be in a good spot for some of the stuff at the Pyramid this year but realistically, there's always just too much else I wanna do instead of waiting around.

Come Elton, we may well be shattered enough to be OK with the waiting around a bit. Also, my kids absolutely love Lil Nas X songs so they are going to be in really good spirits for that. I don't want to take them too far in but would at least like to be somewhere central in between the two speaker towers. It will all just depend on the mood of the day and how much fun the people around us are. If you're surrounded by fun people then the time goes really quickly and ends up making the whole experience. If we're surrounded by head teachers then I reckon we'll give up and move out to the edges 

Edited by Bike_Like_A_Mum

1 minute ago, WestCountryGirl said:

I've not done it yet but if Lizzo weren't in the slot she is, I'd be doing this for Lana on the Other stage this year. As it is though I am not going to give up another great show and experience elsewhere on site, just for a good spec. 

You'll be fine. Always think The Other Stage is like a tidal beach. Crowds just clear out after every act

• Upvote 2