Unpopular Opinions - Glasto Edition

Justcalledtosay

1 hour ago, DareToDibble said:

This argument will never die I appreciate but I have to disagree with this one.

2016 is the perfect example. Wellies were utterly shite, all over the site were just wellies stuck in the mud. Get some waterproof waling boots coupled with sealskinz socks and your footwear stays on your feet (and it's a lot easier to walk in) and your feet stay just as dry as the would in wellies.

I am aware there are about 1000 arguments for either side of this debate but I am firmly in the walking boots camp - having previously been team wellies.

If you’re just a casual festival goer rather than a regular Walker then wellies, cost about £10-15. That other stuff might well be better but must also cost a lot more 

6 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I think I may have said wellies by accident in an earlier post

Boots all the way, if only because you can't dance in wellies.

I cant dance full stop .... footwear ain't helping .... but i give it a damn good go 🙂 . walking shoes and waterproof socks is the way to go 

I used to hate wellies but then i bought some hi end Lowther ones and they a dream to wear in the mud.

With the walking boots i imagine the mud to get stuck in the laces or in the gaiters or whatever and be a nightmare to get on or off!

I feel like the walking boots fans probably enjoy wearing them in non walking scenarios as well like going to the shops/pub etc. Probably a tarp hat or two in the mix as well👀 (not that there is anything wrong with above i might add)

Also it will be sunny so no need to worry !

2 hours ago, RedSZ said:

Stop providing camper van/ caravan places and replace the space with more car parking.

I speak as someone who has attended every Glastonbury since 2003 and half of them in my van but in my (unpopular) opinion, camping outside the fence is a lesser experience and encourages too many old biffers to keep coming. The festival should be something you fully participate in rather than attend/observe. Whenever I've taken my tent in, and I last camped inside the fence in 2019, it's been a more immersive experience and I've contributed more to the place.

Go into the camper van fields and it feels more like a caravan club rally than a festival with neatly pegged awnings, gas barbecues, satellite tv dishes out and moaning oldies going to bed at 10pm. 

Yep. I get the having somewhere comfy to sleep being a bonus but definitely feel you’re missing out if you stay outside the fence. 

1 hour ago, Chip Batch said:

If you’re just a casual festival goer rather than a regular Walker then wellies, cost about £10-15. That other stuff might well be better but must also cost a lot more 

Yeah that’s a fair point.

Although I reckon if they were offered the change to pay £40 more for some walking boots when they’re wellies are stuck in mud they’d probably take it 😅

3 hours ago, Old_Johno said:

Wellies are better than walking boots, if it’s dry enough for boots you can get away with a decent pair of trainers.

Love this.  When I can be bothered responding to the regular categorical pronouncements that wellies will destroy your feet and fall off etc, I go with the grown-up, nuanced angle that this is a personal thing - some of us can wear wellies all day without any problems at all.  However, if ever there was a thread where it's okay to return fire with a non-nuanced 'wellies are just better than walking boots' claim, it's this one.

50 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

trainers dont have the waterproofing that walking boots / shoes do ... so its not a direct comparison 

Let’s not turn this into a boots vs wellies thread. Any boot claiming any level of breathability (that you could reasonably wear all day) will not be waterproof enough to wade through puddles all day. If it’s just ‘muddy’ a decent leather trainer will hold out semi-wet mud. Especially a high top

3 hours ago, PassingCloud said:

Yep. I get the having somewhere comfy to sleep being a bonus but definitely feel you’re missing out if you stay outside the fence. 

I'll take my proper bed with a mattress over missing out on whatever happens between 4am and 11am ish 🙂

12 hours ago, e_p said:

The biggest is last year was the Spaceport 

plus the new Glade is shit

the new glade is shit, get the old glade back 

at least it wasn't as bad as when they turned it in to a fucking pizza bar ... utter c**ts

9 minutes ago, downtherabbithole said:

Arcadia completely wastes good artists. Getting Jon Hopkins or the Chemical Brothers on that stage and making them do DJ sets (as opposed to live sets) is the equivalent of getting Messi on your Sunday league football team and sticking him in goal. It's a complete waste of talent and opportunity. 

Added to the fact that the sound is dreadful unless you can right in between the speakers.

18 minutes ago, downtherabbithole said:

Arcadia completely wastes good artists. Getting Jon Hopkins or the Chemical Brothers on that stage and making them do DJ sets (as opposed to live sets) is the equivalent of getting Messi on your Sunday league football team and sticking him in goal. It's a complete waste of talent and opportunity. 

Yes and no.

Jon Hopkins DJing on the Spider in 2017 remains one of my top 5-10 techno sets of all time.

Crowd was a good size, not huge, but entirely committed as it was a 2230h set. We were all right under the belly where the sound is absolutely stellar. JH said it was one of his favourite DJ sets ever, mostly as we were so into it. It was a 90 minute techno masterclass.

I acknowledge entirely that sound for the spider is ridiculously position-dependent, but if you're comfortably inside the legs, it is pretty amazing, and the closer to the centre the better, unsurprisingly.

It might be that we've kid of seen it all too many times now, but six years ago, at that set, it was as good a rave venue as I've been in.

Ben

Not aimed at anyone in particular on here, but...

To the people who work the festival, thanks.

But you've already told us it's better before the punters arrive, that the best bars are the staff bars, that you can use your wristband to beat some queues, that you don't need to worry about ticket day, that you can park reasonably near to your tent, that everything punters do is a bit annoying and it would be better if they weren't there etc. etc. etc. 

Let us just enjoy the festival in the knowledge that we're not having as good a time as you, despite you missing a load because you're working (unless you are one of the very lucky ones who finish all their jobs before Wednesday).

Thanks again.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

Agreed about Arcadia mostly being wasteful to artists and opportunity. Arcadia was good once but is a victim of its own success. Had my best ever Glasto moment to Adam Freeland's band in 2009. Awesome and Incredible to be there. But yeah now it is too busy and very hard to get decent sound and is now more of a novelty for those who haven't been there before. Which is a shame.

Edited by rgalbraith

The Weds night fireworks don't fit at a 21st Century Glasto. They are a monumental waste of money better spent elsewhere - an opening Lazer show or something with drones would be much better imho.

Edited by Fingerbobs
  • Upvote 4