2023 In Memoriam Thread

kalifire

Just thinking what his relevance to music is, so here's just a few of the artists he interviewed: Queen, Shirley Bassey, George Michael, REM, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Lionel Ritchie, John Lennon, Paul Simon, Robbie Williams, Bob Geldof, Kylie, Phil Collins, Sting, Jamie Cullum, Lulu, Mick Hucknall, Rod Stewart, Eric Clapton, Dave Gilmour, Will Young, Ringo Star, Annie Lennox, Michael Buble, David Bowie, Tom Jones, Sheryl Crow, Ozzy Osbourne, Dolly Parton, Mark Knopfler, Tina Turner, Cher, Lloyd-Webber, Texas, Bee Gees, Neil Diamond, Stevie Wonder, Barry Manilow, Noel Gallagher, Van Morrison, Amy Winehouse, Take That....and ***Madonna*** 😉

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Great guitarist. Wish I'd seen that classic Whitesnake lineup, before the hair metal years.

Yeah, the earliest I saw them was with Sykes. Another great guitarist but I'd have loved to have seen the Moody/Marsden combo. I did see Bernie solo though and he still had the chops.

3 hours ago, henry bear said:

Great guitarist. Wish I'd seen that classic Whitesnake lineup, before the hair metal years.

there was only the hair in all their years.

6 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

IMG_1012.thumb.jpeg.4e013386ba2c18ca4dab844aecdeb212.jpeg

when he was asked if he was fed up with Coverdale getting credit for here I go again, Bernie just shrugged his shoulders and say , I just laugh all way to the bank, terrific guitarist. 

Ah, no. 

Have read his book, he just came across as a lovely bloke.

3 hours ago, maelzoid said:

RIP Jimmy Buffett. I never saw him play, but I did have a few drinks at Margaritaville in Key West. Practically unknown over here, he was a constantly big concert draw in the US and built up a unique cottage industry around his persona. 

Saw him do a couple of songs at the 'Music for Montserrat' show that George Martin put together at the RAH in 1997. Can't say I was aware of his music prior to that

11 minutes ago, henry bear said:

the 'Music for Montserrat' show that George Martin put together at the RAH in 1997.

was that meant to rebuild air studios??? it never happened, still derelict.

14 hours ago, Neil said:

was that meant to rebuild air studios??? it never happened, still derelict.

Martin shut The studios shut in 1989 after a previous erruption and record labels tightening their belts regarding sending artists away for months to the Caribbean to record.  But he had a house not far from there and still lived there at the point of the big eruption. By all accounts it was strictly to raise money for the locals. Back to jimmy macca posted a lovely tribute to him on twitter this morning. 

https://x.com/paulmccartney/status/1698053869656236125?s=46

1 hour ago, eddie_corrigan said:

Martin shut The studios shut in 1989 after a previous erruption and record labels tightening their belts regarding sending artists away for months to the Caribbean to record.  But he had a house not far from there and still lived there at the point of the big eruption. By all accounts it was strictly to raise money for the locals. Back to jimmy macca posted a lovely tribute to him on twitter this morning. 

https://x.com/paulmccartney/status/1698053869656236125?s=46

Thank, was aware that labels won't do expensive studios now, think happy Mondays were the last to abuse that big time.not at air.

RIP Mark Pickthall, ace bloke, good old mate and fantastic photographer. 

You are not likely to have seen him but may have seen his work. 

He was the main photographer for Festival Eye Magazine for many years and also the official photographer for The Big Green Gathering, The Green Crafts Field at Glastonbury along with numerous other events.