Brixton Crush

gfa

13 hours ago, zahidf said:

I think rhe obvious thing would be someone going in the queue to see if people have tickets. If they don't, they can't stay in the queue.

not sure that would work, when the doors are open they can just rush the doors. thats how it used to happen at brixton.

this is so sad, been to this venue before and many others all around the country and never once had an issue with overcrowding or huge amounts of ticketless fans wanting in.

I see this was the artists 3rd night?  was there ticketless fans outside on previous nights/gigs? i presume so given the statement about not turning up without a ticket. 

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I'm not sure how permanent railings would be suitable in the event of an emergency evacuation. It's a difficult one. Here we are again, having to find the solution to a problem created by anti-social behaviour. 

That's what contributed to Hillsborough right? The fences that were installed to stop crowds rushing the pitch contributed to crushing during the disaster. 

It's a difficult balancing act to solve one problem but not make another worse.

21 hours ago, Suprefan said:

So sad. 

would be curious to see if they make it more difficult to even be around the venue if you dont have a ticket. Thats the only thing they can attempt to do so that this has a lower likelihood of happening. Are they going to just have barriers set up in a way that they could check if you have a ticket before you even get into a queue to get in and such.

Have been to Brixton Academy many times but not in recent years .

at the Hammersmith Odeon { think this week its called Eventim Apollo }
when they were doing Covid checks they had a whole load of barriers up - lots of security.

It started from the left side went down the side alley and then back up again 
and then a whole zig-zag of barriers  ## and at some point people were split 
depending if you had a Covid pass on your phone or a paper print out ##
and at some point you reached the doors ' where they were checking if a person had a ticket { although seeing it took one hour to reach that point I suspect they did have tickets }

it all worked because people were compliant.

In fact they could set up a similar system  at the Brixton Academy using 'astoria walk' { photo } but that only works if people are compliant - and that mob the other day certainly did not look  compliant.

from the various videos its not clear # who was who # - were they ticket holders or people pretending to be ticket holders.

I am sure we will find out at some point in time but we may be affected .{ new rules etc etc }

I have never seen the Brixton Academy that chaotic.

walk.jpg.6f4c450faf02830dd59662439ce0196c.jpg

7 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

when they were doing Covid checks they had a whole load of barriers up - lots of security.

and at some point you reached the doors ' where they were checking if a person had a ticket { although seeing it took one hour to reach that point I suspect they did have tickets }

In fact they could set up a similar system  at the Brixton Academy using 'astoria walk' { photo } but that only works if people are compliant - and that mob the other day certainly did not look  compliant.

from the various videos its not clear # who was who # - were they ticket holders or people pretending to be ticket holders.

I am sure we will find out at some point in time but we may be affected .{ new rules etc etc }

theres a lot more space around the eventim Apollo in Hammersmith, than there is at brixham.

11 minutes ago, Neil said:

theres a lot more space around the eventim Apollo in Hammersmith, than there is at brixham.

I wouldn’t have said so…

they have used Astoria Walk as part of the entry/queueing in Brixton from many years..  with the main doors cordoned off with temporary barriers (meaning you have to enter via Astoria Walk)

it is not unusual that security check tickets in the queue before you get near the doors…

I have never felt it has been anything other than orderly gaining access.

An absolute tragedy regardless..

4 hours ago, Neil said:

I am not so sure but I have not got a tape measure out

but if you take the length of 'astoria walk' its longer than the area on the left hand side of the Hammersmith Odeon they were using that night to do
the Covid checks but the main part of the checking was in front of the doors.

From the mobile footage I saw online, it tragically looked like a fairly small area of crush from the Stockwell Road side rather than Astoria Walk,  up to the doors which were shut. It looked like maybe they should have opened the doors , but it’s hard to believe when people are screaming that others just don’t step back. There were people milling around just a few feet back from the doors. Just idiots pushing hard from behind to force the doors open with no thought of those trapped at the front.  As others have said, I don’t know how a venue can mitigate for selfish aggressive idiots. 
I love Brixton Academy, it’s been home from home for decades and all my favourite gigs there. I’ve never seen anything like it, even with the mosh pit at Prodigy, which was certainly a bit fighty at points. I like jumping around, but I did have to move out to the side when Prodigy came on as the crush started straight away. Maybe I’m getting too old for it, but it feels for edgy and less smiley these days. Crowds do seem to be behaving differently after lockdowns. 

I was surprised by this article, Guardian (whom I usually admire) should know better. Nothing is known yet they produce this. Of course some people had tickets outside. They closed the venue because loads were trying to get in who didn’t have tickets.https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/dec/18/witnesses-to-brixton-concert-crush-say-many-fans-outside-had-tickets?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Edited by danbailey80

6 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

They do use this road for the queue and do everything you described

I think a key issue is that non ticket holders will just clog up the area around brixton, making it impossible for people with tickets to get in and then causing people to miss the start which pisses people off very very quickly

1 hour ago, acidstorm523 said:

It looked like maybe they should have opened the doors ,

The issue with this would have been very quickly you would have hit another set of doors, but with more people. 

you would have also created a rush inside the venue. With unpredictable surges. 

Jamie Webster gig in Liverpool had issues inside the arena. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63714057.amp

11 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

The issue with this would have been very quickly you would have hit another set of doors, but with more people. 

Jamie Webster gig in Liverpool had issues inside the arena. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63714057.amp

Jesus christ. Hadn't heard about this. In Liverpool of all places.

The christmas theatre trip for a health support group I attend was to Bristol tobacco factory theatre for "the snow Queen." the theatre is in the round and the play had lots of klezma music which wasn't my fav thing, but otherwise was enjoyable. 

1 hour ago, Neil said:

The christmas theatre trip for a health support group I attend was to Bristol tobacco factory theatre for "the snow Queen." the theatre is in the round and the play had lots of klezma music which wasn't my fav thing, but otherwise was enjoyable. 

Great story. Possibly the wrong thread but a great story nonetheless 

16 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

Yeah gotcha, but there were people inside who could see those being crushed against the glass doors? I see your point, but it was an emergency. At least the foyer is big .. unlikely to get crushed in there? Open the door to release the pressure and shut down the gig? 

8 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Don’t like that guardian article at all, tries to place all blame on the security. It was the ticketless fault. If only people with tickets were there it would’ve been fine like the thousands of other gigs they have

We've no real idea who's "fault" it was yet, just speculation from newspaper articles and social media videos, even police statements won't cover the full details. It needs a full inquest to understand the full reasons behind why to understand if anyone is at fault. Sadly that takes a long time to do. 

• Upvote 1