Stadium Ticket Pricing

stanh

I was at a Toronto Blue Jays baseball game a few years back - 2015 i think - it was about $20 to get in, and i seem to recall it being $15 for a beer (cos i'm sure it came out to over a tenner in £)

They had a decent choice of about twelve different beers, and the girl got a bit excited at hearing an English accent cos she tried to push a can of Boddingtons on me 😄 f**k no, not even if its free! i had an extremely nondescript Alexander Keith's red ale, and a ridiculous footlong hotdog with about twenty different toppings. Game was dull, loved the food though! 

I remain utterly appalled by these Pearl jam prices. 2022 we paid £70 per ticket or £120 for 2 shows. I don't know how they can justify more than doubling the ticket price in just two years. For the time being I am out. Maybe pick up something on the secondary market closer to the day.

Also keen to see Springsteen and AC/DC this summer, all similarly priced.  Tickets to see stadium acts have indeed become a luxury item.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I remain utterly appalled by these Pearl jam prices. 2022 we paid £70 per ticket or £120 for 2 shows. I don't know how they can justify more than doubling the ticket price in just two years. For the time being I am out. Maybe pick up something on the secondary market closer to the day.

Also keen to see Springsteen and AC/DC this summer, all similarly priced.  Tickets to see stadium acts have indeed become a luxury item.

As a massive PJ fan I'm completely in agreement with you.. it's nothing Just the tour price's bug go buy whatever vinyl I want from this New album would out mean back nearly as much as the tour price's.. what's the matter with the music industry nowadays......

Springsteen and ACDC will be the same.. it's like Glastonbury tickets I remember saying that id stop if they went above 250.... nightmare 

When I see the Pearl Jam pricing it lessens the blow with the Green Day clash as I already have tickets for that and they now seem like a bargain. Even if they announce another date will struggle to find anyone else to go with at them prices.

fkme sideways, that is ridiculous. I thought AC/DC were taking the piss with £130 for wembley and kind of expected stupid prices, but i would have thought Pearl Jam would be a lot more reasonable - somewhere around £75 - not bloody double that and more! 

image.thumb.jpeg.08df99c1ac2864dfb97e7657c351f8c3.jpeg

Remember this from last summer. Def Leppard and Motley Crue at Wembley. This is what happens when you price out your own fans. 
i hoped scenes like this would have triggered a rethink by the industry, but it seems they're doubling down. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, -TLR- said:

just because Eddie is trying to rob you blind on one hand, doesn't somehow make it ok that Billie Joe has already mugged you with the other hand...

True, the prices for these gigs are shocking.

Just now, maelzoid said:

Remember this from last summer. Def Leppard and Motley Crue at Wembley. This is what happens when you price out your own fans. 
i hoped scenes like this would have triggered a rethink by the industry, but it seems they're doubling down. 

In all honesty, I'm not sure they'd have sold out Wembley at 20 quid tickets.

46 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Wow, that must have been a bit of a bleak atmosphere. 

51 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

That's just embarrassing, should've moved it to an indoor arena.

It's supply and demand. They charge more cos a lot of people pay the extortionate prices. If they didn't they wouldn't keep charging this much. Cost of living crisis or not, a LOT of people go to gigs nowadays, that's why hundreds of bang average 80s/90s/00s band have come out of retirement. 

That's not to say some gigs still won't sell out, but they'll all carry on charging the megabucks until its no longer profitable. 

It almost feels like for some of the acts with the particularly fervent fans, the cost is almost part of the appeal. This person/band that I've built a large party of my identity and is so big and special and important they can charge THIS much and I can show how devoted I am to them by paying

1 minute ago, philipsteak said:

It almost feels like for some of the acts with the particularly fervent fans, the cost is almost part of the appeal. This person/band that I've built a large party of my identity and is so big and special and important they can charge THIS much and I can show how devoted I am to them by paying

mmm... well i can only speak for myself obviously...

but i love (or loved) Bruce... i've followed him all over the place over many many years...

at the present time my feelings are that Bruce can get to f**k.

so not sure that really squares with the theory?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Some gig prices are now beyond a joke. Not only pricing out some of the diehard fans but also those less devoted who might also have attended. 

These people are a big part - even the majority of the audience at many shows (looking at you, BST)

Medium acts going from £30 to £50 for instance is enough to put me off acts i'd previously have considered

2 hours ago, -TLR- said:

mmm... well i can only speak for myself obviously...

but i love (or loved) Bruce... i've followed him all over the place over many many years...

at the present time my feelings are that Bruce can get to f**k.

so not sure that really squares with the theory?

I swerved on Bruce last summer simply because of the price.

Another element at play is the "last chance to see..." factor which is the case with Bruce and AC/DC this summer. Not definitely the last tour for these guys, but potentially the case and so people will pay. Pearl Jam will defo tour again, so I don't mind missing them for a show or two.

11 hours ago, -TLR- said:

just because Eddie is trying to rob you blind on one hand, doesn't somehow make it ok that Billie Joe has already mugged you with the other hand...

I agree it's a lot, especially as regular standing at Wembley is £15 more than the Hella Mega shows with Fall Out Boy & Weezer and much as I like Wembley support act Nothing But Thieves, it's not worth pretending otherwise. However, there's levels to the game and this is just f**king crazy.

5 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Tbf I thought that with Muse given I was still ok paying the creeping-up prices through the 2010s but found their Will of the People shows too much, to the point where I got a reduced-cost second-hand ticket to Milton Keynes (and think I could've gone cheaper) and decided the extreme prices for last October's London O2 gigs were the point of going too far.