Stadium Ticket Pricing

stanh

6 hours ago, K2SO said:

As @GeezLouise said, Blur is the one that shocked me the most because it's Blur. A few years ago (Maybe 2018?), Damon put on a Gorillaz show at Brixton Academy for £5 a ticket, so I expected Blur to be maybe £75 for a standing ticket at most. Obviously they have a lot more costs at Wembley to cover than Brixton... But the fact it's over £100 a ticket, and you won't even have the opportunity to get the front row for that price has really shocked me.

Hey, someone's got to cover that 800m quid build cost 

Cost of living: Musicians could be priced out of careers, charity says

Gig tickets are just one thing that seems to be getting more expensive at the moment. But putting on shows is also costing more - something that's causing concern for up-and-coming artists.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-63622162

17 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Football stadiums are designed for football. All the infrastructure there is already in place and geared up for football. For gigs, the band/promoter has to provide all the gear - that means the PA system, lighting and stage too. Then the whole place has to be rigged (in a very limited amount of time) - not that certain bands aren't taking the piss with prices, but you can't just compare the cost of a match with that of a gig. 

Thats great and all but it doesn't hold up when AM are doing it for £20 less without a golden circle and at a 30% smaller venue so less economies of scale

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Thats great and all but it doesn't hold up when AM are doing it for £20 less without a golden circle and at a 30% smaller venue so less economies of scale

Yeah but AM are still doing it for 3-4x the cost of a cheaper football match there. 

The Blur show is really expensive for sure.

The cost is a bit of a red herring, it’s simply supply and demand and how much can they get away with.

How much is the staging etc. for Wembley, £2m? So that’s about £20/£25 on the price of a football ticket, and they obviously still make a healthy profit on every football game anyway.

If you have a wedding at a venue on a Wednesday, it will be a lot cheaper than the Saturday, but the costs are the same and the venue will still make a profit, just not as much. Likewise if your work have their Xmas party in January as opposed to December.

These gigs could be a lot cheaper and they’d still make a decent amount of money, the reality is irrespective of costs they just make as much money as they think they can, and this will vary between different types of events.

Edited by Jose Pose

1 minute ago, Jose Pose said:

The cost is a bit of a red herring, it’s simply supply and demand and how much can they get away with.

How much is the staging etc. for Wembley, £2m? So that’s about £20/£25 on the price of a football ticket, and m they obviously still make a healthy on every football game anyway.

If you have a wedding at a venue on a Wednesday, it will be a lot cheaper than the Saturday, but the costs are the same and the venue will still make a profit just not as much. Likewise if your work have their Xmas party on January as opposed to December.

These gigs could be a lot cheaper and they’d still make a decent amount of money, the reality is irrespective of costs they just make as much money as they think they can, and this will vary between different types of events.

Spot on

Frank Turner's Lost Evenings festival went on sale today.  It will be in the U.S. and ticket sales are through Ticketmaster/LiveNation.  The small print mentioned that "prices may fluctuate due to demand".

Thankfully Frank posted an 'artist pre-sale link' with password on Twitter, and tickets could be bought at face value. That's the way to do it.

8 hours ago, Watergirl said:

Frank Turner's Lost Evenings festival went on sale today.  It will be in the U.S. and ticket sales are through Ticketmaster/LiveNation.  The small print mentioned that "prices may fluctuate due to demand".

Thankfully Frank posted an 'artist pre-sale link' with password on Twitter, and tickets could be bought at face value. That's the way to do it.

I remember Frank playing arenas a few years ago and playing them for a cheap as he could which is very honourable, wish more bands would do it. Id also like to see bigger bands playing smaller venues if they’re struggling to help out. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/15/2022 at 4:31 PM, kingcrawler said:

The Cure’s arena tour next month looks very good value in comparison to these other ones now. My standing ticket is £60 which I can’t complain about at all for a legendary band playing for well over two hours plus a very good support act.

Massively impressed with The Cure.

Fair ticket prices, good value Merch, £20 T-shirts vs £35+ I've seen at some gigs, almost a three hour set, great show/production and support act. Yeah, great value...

14 minutes ago, Nice hymer said:

Fair ticket prices, good value Merch, £20 T-shirts vs £35+ I've seen at some gigs, almost a three hour set, great show/production and support act. Yeah, great value...

I was actually going to go and say that in The Cure thread about the merch - that's the first time in a long time where I've been to an arena show and the merch has been that reasonably priced, along with the ticket cost. Very impressed by it all. 

17 minutes ago, Claire96 said:

I was actually going to go and say that in The Cure thread about the merch - that's the first time in a long time where I've been to an arena show and the merch has been that reasonably priced, along with the ticket cost. Very impressed by it all. 

The queue for their merch at the Hydro is the biggest I’ve ever seen. I waltzed up to the cloakroom and bar with no queues at all but the merch stand looked mobbed.

57 minutes ago, Claire96 said:

Not quite an arena but Sigur Ros had similar prices the other week, £20 for a t-shirt.

And on the queues, I was buying a t-shirt for my daughter and said I'd queue for it while she queued at the bar but the queue was too long (and slow moving) so said I'd go back when I inevitably went out mid gig to go to the toilet, did so and even then there was a short queue at the merch (and they were running out of sizes too).

4 hours ago, stanh said:

Here is an update, as promised... Burna Boy, The Weeknd and RHCP's added, also the bold price beneath the artist is the avg. price for each show, then in the blank column that price is an average of the average.

126195773_Screenshot2022-12-09at10_45_55.thumb.png.03e717df3f7b7794a024a292c804789e.png

Great work but FYI something has gone wrong there as it's showing Blur's average to be lower than 5/6 of the prices

3 hours ago, Nice hymer said:

The Cure just arent an expensive act per say. And they probably are producing so much merch that it could be a bit cheaper or theyre skimping on quality. 

1 hour ago, Drinky said:

This is the pricing for Robbie Williams’ show at Luxexpo Open Air next July… (which is not even a stadium but a temporary stage in a convention centre car park). Mad.

People need to stop paying these prices, only way it's going to change.

On 12/9/2022 at 4:22 PM, Suprefan said:

The Cure just arent an expensive act per say. And they probably are producing so much merch that it could be a bit cheaper or theyre skimping on quality. 

Doesn't stop other acts from charging £35 for a t shirt. 

For what it's worth I got a t shirt from the Leeds show and it's decent quality, quite soft too. They could have charged more if they wanted but they didn't so that should be commended rather than trying to look for negatives in why they did it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Drinky said:

This is the pricing for Robbie Williams’ show at Luxexpo Open Air next July… (which is not even a stadium but a temporary stage in a convention centre car park). Mad.

image.thumb.jpeg.d60297c2aeddf2cdb3b61df7880ac549.jpeg

(for reference Arctic Monkeys are playing the week before and tickets are €73.50)

Wow for 188 quid I definitely want to be close enough to see my bottle of pee land