Blur

jannybruck

Thing is, just because greed is dominating the market place, doesn't mean you can't still choose to put on a reasonable priced gig. Not saying everyone has to be Paul Abbott, but they could bin the golden circle and slash the price by a third at least and still make a very handsome amount out of it. 

It's making gigs simply unaffordable for normal, everyday folk. Factor in travel, cost of food/drink which will be charged at a ridiculous price and its well over £200 for the day. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, jparx said:

Ugh can we please start a govt petition to ban golden circle nonsense? It’s the absolute dirt worst. It does continue to make festivals look the most appealing place to see an act, though.

I went golden circle for RHCP in Manchester. It was great to be up close...but it killed the vibe completely. Basically half empty...I wanted to be further back by the end with the actual crowd!

When they first introduced golden circle it was to reduce crushing at big gigs but there was no extra charge for it.  Dedicated fans queued all day to get in there. The fact that they (not just Blur but people in the industry in general) see it as a way to get extra money bugs me. 

• Like 2

Just now, gigpusher said:

When they first introduced golden circle it was to reduce crushing at big gigs but there was no extra charge for it.  Dedicated fans queued all day to get in there. The fact that they (not just Blur but people in the industry in general) see it as a way to get extra money bugs me. 

Thanks for that. I was just going to ask when and why golden circle started.

I haven't been to a large stadium or arena gig since 1984 (i think), Bob Dylan and Santana at St James Park Newcastle.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

It's definitely the golden circle that's incensed me the most!

Take that out, £75 all in for general standing then seated tickets at a reasonable price instead of being massively hiked, still would make a fortune out of it. 

That's exactly what Green Day/Fall Out Boy/Weezer did for their tour, and they had the extra cost of coming over to the UK and splitting the revenue between 3 headline acts. 

People trying to justify acts charging phenomenally inflated prices is half the issue. Might as well bow down to the profiteering of the energy companies too whilst we're at it. 

• Upvote 1

Genuinely quite surprising. Definitely better than Hyde Park. But what's the goal or purpose of this kind of mega gig? As much money as possible for as little commitment? Is it making a statement about the size and status of the band? "we are now huge, and you the UK and European fans, will come to us"?  Or is it partly "Graham can't or won't tour"?

It sounds to me like a pretty big venue for blur to fill. But whoever is Gorillaz agent for live gigs seems to have a great grasp of what is and isn't possible. I assume the same people are involved here. And one - off gigs can drive demand. (Just an an example, a few years ago soft cell implausibly sold out the o2 with a one off "Farewell" gig that loads of fans across UK, Europe and even the US travelled to.  I say that as a Marc/Soft Cell fan who saw them last year in Glasgow, before anyone has a go 🙂 )

On price - Damon did a completely free Gorillaz gig at the 02 for NHS workers just last year.  and obviously must pay £££s to line up all the Gorillaz live guests.  So I don't think it's him driving the pricing.  A round of drinks for a group of pals can set you back £40 or £50 these days, so it is what it is.  The Golden Circle however isn't a great look.

Edited by Johndenis

3 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Thanks for that. I was just going to ask when and why golden circle started.

I haven't been to a large stadium or arena gig since 1984 (i think), Bob Dylan and Santana at St James Park Newcastle.

First gig I went to that had it was U2 Zoo TV in 1993. I managed to sneak into it whilst security were telling someone else that they couldn't just go in there but there was no extra charge it was just first come, first served or who could sneak in there in my case. 

11 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Take that out, £75 all in for general standing then seated tickets at a reasonable price instead of being massively hiked, still would make a fortune out of it. 

That's exactly what Green Day/Fall Out Boy/Weezer did for their tour, and they had the extra cost of coming over to the UK and splitting the revenue between 3 headline acts. 

People trying to justify acts charging phenomenally inflated prices is half the issue. Might as well bow down to the profiteering of the energy companies too whilst we're at it. 

Those prices don't include fees. 

14 minutes ago, Johndenis said:

Genuinely quite surprising. Definitely better than Hyde Park. But what's the goal or purpose of this kind of mega gig? As much money as possible for as little commitment? Is it making a statement about the size and status of the band? "we are now huge, and you the UK and European fans, will come to us"?  Or is it partly "Graham can't or won't tour"?

It sounds to me like a pretty big venue for blur to fill. But whoever is Gorillaz agent for live gigs seems to have a great grasp of what is and isn't possible. I assume the same people are involved here. And one - off gigs can drive demand. (Just an an example, a few years ago soft cell implausibly sold out the o2 with a one off "Farewell" gig that loads of fans across UK, Europe and even the US travelled to.  I say that as a Marc/Soft Cell fan who saw them last year in Glasgow, before anyone has a go 🙂 )

On price - Damon did a completely free Gorillaz gig at the 02 for NHS workers just last year.  and obviously must pay £££s to line up all the Gorillaz live guests.  So I don't think it's him driving the pricing.  A round of drinks for a group of pals can set you back £40 or £50 these days, so it is what it is.  The Golden Circle however isn't a great look.

Yep, that round would net you 5-10 drinks back though. Incomparable. 

4 minutes ago, Levitz said:

Those prices don't include fees. 

The ridiculous fees also need to be canned, there's now less admin and costs to send out tickets yet everyone gets rinsed with fees 5x what they used to be.

Ultimately who is trying to make a stand? The artists are the ones best placed to put a stop to this for the sake of their fans, but instead the vast majority seem to want in on the fleecing.