Where did you camp in 2022 and how was it?

Ell99

17 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Your tent would have been a landmark for me! 

Oxylers 2019 and 2022. 

In 2022 got in at 10:30, stewards told us it was 90% full. Pitched up two tents by 11, reserved space for another 2 until 1pm, we'd have struggled keeping it much after that. 

Found Oxylers was very busy next to the paths but as soon as you went in about 5 metres in towards the fence by the farm there was actually a load more space available. It's just a trade off with toilets as it's not fast picking your way out through the guy lines.

We camped for years in your 2022 spot, but the weaving through the tents to get in and out just became to much of an arse ache. Kidney Mead is my first choice, but our group is too large now for that to be an option. Went up by Lime Kiln this year, great for John Peel but a fair old trek back from the SE corner in the morning

Got the coach from bath at 6am so was able to grab a spot in Pennards hill this year and it's was ideal. No more cramped than anywhere else, central for pretty much everything and had good neighbours. Couldn't really fault it.

Going by car this time around so its unlikely we will be through the gates as early as the last time so will most likely go for paines / Park home 

44 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Your tent would have been a landmark for me! 

Oxylers 2019 and 2022. 

In 2022 got in at 10:30, stewards told us it was 90% full. Pitched up two tents by 11, reserved space for another 2 until 1pm, we'd have struggled keeping it much after that. 

Found Oxylers was very busy next to the paths but as soon as you went in about 5 metres in towards the fence by the farm there was actually a load more space available. It's just a trade off with toilets as it's not fast picking your way out through the guy lines.

Screenshot_20221114-130458.png

😎

Our tent in the right. This was the bin situation on Sunday afternoon when we returned for supplies.

5BD20CB5-0B34-4F0D-8048-4A3972F5B373.jpeg

On 11/13/2022 at 8:25 AM, Scrump said:

2019 Rigs field. Was nice, good neighbors, toilets and coffee (at cinamargeddon) were close by and little to no queues. Obvious down side -  the walk to anywhere was an absolute nightmare especially back to the tent late night.  Didn't consciously plan to stay there but it was my first glasto, was on my own and after I walked in at gate C I just kept going in an almost daze at the size etc of the place until I found myself on the opposite side of the site😂

Just had to check where Rig's is, that's one hell of a walk!  My first time I arrived with someone who knew what they were doing, I thought, but from parking near gate B we walked down past the pyramid, through the markets, past Pennards and then up the hill into the upper part of Park Home Ground - so pretty much where the Park Stage is now.  You're energetic and happy when you arrive, the hard part is the walk back at the end of the festival with all your stuff.  

Generally camped in Big Ground since then, once in Paines & once in Pylon, and generally manage to camp on the same side as the gate we arrive through.  One exception was parking in remote Pink and trekking all the way across to Big Ground - again floating when we arrived but cursing when we were leaving.  Not sure what the plan is for this year, still delighted just to have a ticket.

On 11/13/2022 at 10:19 AM, rubenz said:

Always camp up in South Park 2 opposite where the cinema bit is. Fairly quiet area and on the outskirts near the fence but always loads of room when arriving around Wednesday lunchtime. 

Don't really send any time at the camp and tend to be coming home via Park /Spider so location works well. 

Do fancy trying somewhere different this year so will check out this thread. 

Also a huge article on different campsites here. 

https://www.glastoearth.com/p/torts-faq-part-3.html?m=1#:~:text=Where is the best place to camp%3F

exactly where we camp. great spot .. stop telling people 😉

• Like 1

WV. Scout tent.

Pros: quiet, nice loo and shower but not at peak times, decent food option but not at peak time.For us being able to get straight to Park/Greenfields/WH is perfect. Pennard Hill lock ups on the way up are perfect.

Cons: it was super cold one night.  Somehow I pushed a bag against the tent while asleep, it rained and my stuff got wet. A peak time wee should be planned ahead. If they didn't put sinks and mirrors in the loo it would go much faster... . Somehow half of the ladies showers barely had hot water but the other ones were fine. Our tent was quite in the back so not too far from the parking lot but still quite a walk to the campsite. And the nice view on the fest was gone this year. So not a big incentive to enjoy the area more than to sleep.

Personally, no issue with the climb, but I don't get wasted and it was dry.

Haven't been for a few years but thought I'd comment anyway.

2011 - Arrived Wed midday and camped in Darble. Was quiet with plenty of space and a short walk from gate A after being stuck in a 3 hour queue. Was a massive trek to get anywhere though and I don't tent to spend much time in that end of the site.

2014/2015 - Camped in Oxylers both years, towards silver hayes end. No complaints, great location, nice mix of neighbours. Arrived by coach both times before 10am and easily found enough room for two tents although would probably have struggled past midday. It was fairly loud but by the time I fell into bed in the early hours of the morning I can't say it really bothered me. 

2017 - Arrived early Thursday that year and camped in Dairy. Similar to Darble, was nice and quiet but a bit of a trek.

Got tickets for 2023 and think I'll be aiming for Oxylers again although would possibly consider Kidney Mead. Will only be looking for a space for one 3 man tent and aiming to get parked up by 7AM so hoping that will be early enough to get a decent spot. 

I did Worthy View last year, not going to do that this year as can't justify the extra cost...only had one shower and it definitely isn't worth it for that!

On the bus and coming on Thursday (annoyingly) so will probably just pitch wherever I can find a spot! Have previously camped in loads of different spots and never really had a problem with any of them so will probably be happy wherever I end up.

Camped last year in Kidney Mead, first time at the festival and don't know any different. It was pretty decent, we were a group of 6 and it was pretty crowded but you could get a few camp chairs out which was fine.

Location wise it was pretty decent, close enough to the pyramid, williams green and the cider bus, plenty of food options close by, I suspect that is the same wherever you Camp though, quite a jaunt from the SE Corner right enough.

Any recomendations for larger groups, 15-20? suspect it could be quite difficult, arriving Wednesday morning 10am-ish.

1 hour ago, neil93 said:

Camped last year in Kidney Mead, first time at the festival and don't know any different. It was pretty decent, we were a group of 6 and it was pretty crowded but you could get a few camp chairs out which was fine.

Location wise it was pretty decent, close enough to the pyramid, williams green and the cider bus, plenty of food options close by, I suspect that is the same wherever you Camp though, quite a jaunt from the SE Corner right enough.

Any recomendations for larger groups, 15-20? suspect it could be quite difficult, arriving Wednesday morning 10am-ish.

If you're happy enough to walk more than a few metres from a path you should be alright. I've found with groups that huge you tend not to all be together that much anyway so if you're a little separate it doesn't matter too much.

• Like 1

Lime Kiln. Arse end of nowhere.  We got through Gate A on Wed afternoon with designs on Big Ground, had a chat with the stewards about where had spaces, changed plan and ended up at LK.

Pros: plenty of space, pretty quiet so got decent kip, nice and close to Gate A for both the tent pitch and the Monday morning return.

Cons: Repeat, arse end of nowhere. A slog to get to and from stages so really limited return visits. Bugger all on at JPT this year as well, and quite a schlep from all the decent food.

2 hours ago, neil93 said:

Just realised we never went to the cider bus!

19 hours ago, BambooShanks said:

Got the coach from bath at 6am so was able to grab a spot in Pennards hill this year and it's was ideal. No more cramped than anywhere else, central for pretty much everything and had good neighbours. Couldn't really fault it.

Going by car this time around so its unlikely we will be through the gates as early as the last time so will most likely go for paines / Park home 

Im getting a coach for the first time from Bristol at 6:30. If we leave on time, we get there between 8-8:30. Thought by that time the queues would be massive and by the time we got in Pennard would be pretty full? Or does coach go through its own gate?

Cockmill. Great central location for us (just me and my 11 yes old). We got in probably around 9.30am and it was filling up, but still quite a bit of space. Annoyingly some large groups with either no, or maybe 1, child which I thought was a bit out of order taking up space for people with kids. They also seemed to take up a tonne of space clearing a communal area in central of tents. 
Needs more water points at cockmill. 

On 11/12/2022 at 4:54 PM, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Regular at Darble. Perfect for coach travel. Quiet. 

Will be coming by coach this year (7.30am from Bristol) and a friend is suggesting Darble as she knows others that use it regularly. 
My only concern is that it seems so far from everywhere. I suppose it’s not necessarily too bad, but would need to plan so as not to be having to go back to the tent very often. But things like getting to showers would be a total PIA. 
Is the big advantage that it’s right by coach drop off? I’ve assumed coach people still need to queue at a regular gate, or is there a separate entrance just for coach?

Also I guess it’s relatively quiet? That’s ok, as I’m at an age where I don’t need to be in the thick of it for the whole week. 

Anyway, as a Darble local, I’d be interested to hear your pros & cons. 

37 minutes ago, PassingCloud said:

Is the big advantage that it’s right by coach drop off? I’ve assumed coach people still need to queue at a regular gate, or is there a separate entrance just for coach?

Don't quote me but I'm pretty sure there was a special queue for coach this year!

30 minutes ago, PassingCloud said:

Will be coming by coach this year (7.30am from Bristol) and a friend is suggesting Darble as she knows others that use it regularly. 
My only concern is that it seems so far from everywhere. I suppose it’s not necessarily too bad, but would need to plan so as not to be having to go back to the tent very often. But things like getting to showers would be a total PIA. 

Also I guess it’s relatively quiet? That’s ok, as I’m at an age where I don’t need to be in the thick of it for the whole week. 

Anyway, as a Darble local, I’d be interested to hear your pros & cons. 

Biggest plus for Darble, when travelling by coach, is the ease of access back to your coach on the Monday morning. Clearly it’s also a positive upon arrival, but once you reach a certain age (I’m 59) the thought of dragging all your kit across site after 5 days at the festival is just too much. Other pluses are that it’s quiet, there’s plenty space well into the Thursday. The toilets are ok (compost loos). When camping I tend to make do with plenty deodorant and a wet flannel, so lack of shower access not a big deal for me. As you say, it’s a long way from anything. Access to John Peel, Pyramid from Mandela bar side, and Silver Hayes and the Woods is all very good. Although a walk to those areas, any crowds tend to be coming from the opposite side so it’s relatively easy.
Nearby food is very sparse, and not the best offerings on the site (just my opinion). For breakfast, you can get to Lulus cafe pretty easily by going through the Woods, or you have to head deeper into the site to get anything decent. For a drink,  Tolpuddle Arms, Beat Hotel (now something else) Bread and Roses and Mandela bar all quite close. Couple of these usually close early though. Late night action is all, with the exception of Silver Hayes, quite a trek. I tend to get up, nip to the loo, freshen up at the tent, pack my day bag and head in to site, never to return to my tent until I’m ready to turn in. If you feel you need to return to your tent once or twice, perhaps Darble is not for you. But to go back to my original point, and I can’t stress it enough, if your travelling by coach, come Monday morning, it’s by far the best place to be. As a side note, I think there’s a group of solo travelling efesters that formed on here a few years back, who all camp in Darble (well they used to). They also may be able to offer opinions. To be transparent, I’ll be travelling by car for the first time next year, so am still trying to decide where to head. Probably won’t be Darble, as it’s too far from the car parks.

1 hour ago, aj6658 said:

Im getting a coach for the first time from Bristol at 6:30. If we leave on time, we get there between 8-8:30. Thought by that time the queues would be massive and by the time we got in Pennard would be pretty full? Or does coach go through its own gate?

How many people are you - if its like 20 probably not but about 4 people with 2 tents definitely. Coaches go to Gate A - they have their own queue lane i believe.

5 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Biggest plus for Darble, when travelling by coach, is the ease of access back to your coach on the Monday morning. Clearly it’s also a positive upon arrival, but once you reach a certain age (I’m 59) the thought of dragging all your kit across site after 5 days at the festival is just too much. Other pluses are that it’s quiet, there’s plenty space well into the Thursday. The toilets are ok (compost loos). When camping I tend to make do with plenty deodorant and a wet flannel, so lack of shower access not a big deal for me. As you say, it’s a long way from anything. Access to John Peel, Pyramid from Mandela bar side, and Silver Hayes and the Woods is all very good. Although a walk to those areas, any crowds tend to be coming from the opposite side so it’s relatively easy.
Nearby food is very sparse, and not the best offerings on the site (just my opinion). For breakfast, you can get to Lulus cafe pretty easily by going through the Woods, or you have to head deeper into the site to get anything decent. For a drink,  Tolpuddle Arms, Beat Hotel (now something else) Bread and Roses and Mandela bar all quite close. Couple of these usually close early though. Late night action is all, with the exception of Silver Hayes, quite a trek. I tend to get up, nip to the loo, freshen up at the tent, pack my day bag and head in to site, never to return to my tent until I’m ready to turn in. If you feel you need to return to your tent once or twice, perhaps Darble is not for you. But to go back to my original point, and I can’t stress it enough, if your travelling by coach, come Monday morning, it’s by far the best place to be. As a side note, I think there’s a group of solo travelling efesters that formed on here a few years back, who all camp in Darble (well they used to). They also may be able to offer opinions. To be transparent, I’ll be travelling by car for the first time next year, so am still trying to decide where to head. Probably won’t be Darble, as it’s too far from the car parks.

Thanks for your detailed reply. 
Coach return isn’t going to be an issue as we only got singles. Got to figure out a way home yet, but I quite like a slow Monday and never keen to leave particularly early. 
I suppose the big plus for me is that it sounds like a relatively quick in and get set yup and forget about it (and not having to lug a heavy sack across the site).

Well, good chance that’s where I’ll end up so thanks for the advice. And, to be honest, I’m at the festival so I’d take anything given to me. 

Michael's Mead / Hawkwell again last year and we will be aiming for the same this year. Close to Pyramid, short walk to JP/Other. Spotless long drops due to sharing with the accessibility camping in spring ground. Incredible coffee shop and breakfast bus. Slight gradient but no issues sleeping unless you go up the top by the farm. Only issue is the sound from the new layout Sliver Hayes travels at night, but this could have juts been localised to our local tent area

16 hours ago, Quark said:

Lime Kiln. Arse end of nowhere.  We got through Gate A on Wed afternoon with designs on Big Ground, had a chat with the stewards about where had spaces, changed plan and ended up at LK.

I was another Lime Kiln resident this year after being priced out of the usual spot in neighbouring Hitchin Hill. Can vouch for the space and quietness but I found the slope much more developed here so sleep wasn't quite so good thanks to a regular parting of the sleeping bag from mat only for all to be reunited in a pile down at the bottom end of the tent most nights. Trek to the main areas isn't too bad, but then I'm used to it, but the walk to the long drops in Hitchin seemed to lengthen as the weekend went on.

Got there weds mid afternoon and definitely busier there than usual. Fantastic view of the fireworks from across the valley.

Edited by Fingerbobs

Lower Mead, commit yourself to earplugs and sleep to the beat hotel. 

Awful location, not sure why we always camp there. No one should,  it's terrible. 

Noise, no loos, miles from anywhere, no water. Nightmare. 

This post was brought to you by campers of Lower mead who want to keep people away!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

There are a surprising amount of early sleepers on this forum.

It's lovely and quiet all over site between 6am and 11am (except maybe family camping). Five hours is enough.

You'll be surprised to hear this but some people like to do the festival a little differently from you. I normally crash out at around 2 or 3, no desire to head to the SE corner to listen to some God awful drum and base until 6 am. Next morning I'm up, fed, had a chat to camp mates and normally in front of a stage by 11am.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

There are a surprising amount of early sleepers on this forum.

It's lovely and quiet all over site between 6am and 11am (except maybe family camping). Five hours is enough.

Didn't thatcher apparently get by on 4 hours sleep, and look how she turned out. 

I know I'm miserable if I haven't had enough sleep and I don't want to be miserable at Glasto.