Other Stage Headliners

airwaves

31 minutes ago, gfa said:

Boomtown don't announce their lineup

Green Man maybe i think

Oh i know its a banger and its a great closer, just meant its not a big song like stream wise etc. 11 million for an other stage headliner closer might be a record!

Ah! Good call in that case, you have a strong point. good on them for sticking to their guns and finishing their live show in such an amazing way!

3 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

What do people think is a more prominent slot: Pyramid sub or Other headliner? 

Depends what you mean by prominent I guess, but it's gotta be Other headliner for my money. Other headliners are a lot easier to remember a few years down the line at any rate. 

10 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Depends whos in it a lot i think. both slots have outliers who are smaller than usual and bigger e.g vampire weekend, christine and the queens and then it goes the other way too.

I assume sub has a bigger tv audience and its more primetime tv so i'd go with that perhaps

24 minutes ago, gfa said:

Depends whos in it a lot i think. both slots have outliers who are smaller than usual and bigger e.g vampire weekend, christine and the queens and then it goes the other way too.

I assume sub has a bigger tv audience and its more primetime tv so i'd go with that perhaps

I agree with both sides here, and think it depends who you ask.

Ask people who go to the festival, I think a majority would say Other headline.

Ask people who watch on TV, and I think they'd say the Pyramid sub (with the big, prime time TV show).

Last year is probably a case in point - Sam Fender and Noel Gallagher in particular, both had big TV slots - so likely a lot more memorable to the armchair Glasto watcher.  I doubt many people sought out Megan Thee Stallion on telly, when Macca was on at the same time.

4 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Interesting point for discussion though @gfa @Freddyflintstonree. You're the first to respond and you both make opposing points.

I wonder how artists and their management view it?

Perhaps differently, for the same reasons. Headlining a stage may be more appealing for an artist, whereas management will be looking at things like exposure through viewership etc.? I'm pulling all this out the air tho - no idea. 

38 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Interesting point for discussion though @gfa @Freddyflintstonree. You're the first to respond and you both make opposing points.

I wonder how artists and their management view it?

Its probably about what fits you best as well - thats a huge thing. Obviously dance acts will go for Other Headline / acts with bigger shows. Some acts like the headline slot too - some will want to play on the pyramid stage as its iconic

17 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Pyramid sub probably if you're talking exposure.  That said, I think if I were an act and offered my choice I'd definitely pick Other headliner, coz it's still a headliner.  Plus I think generally, gigs have more feel in the dark.

5 minutes ago, Jakeyboi135 said:

Along the same lines, how many pyramid subs/other headliners have gone on to headline? Pyramid sub does tend to be the peak of plenty artists e.g Nick Cave and Biffy

I looked into this a while ago. Off the top of my head there have been about three in the last 15 or so years.

Kasabian was the last one.

On 2/27/2023 at 10:15 AM, goonerben said:

I agree with both sides here, and think it depends who you ask.

Ask people who go to the festival, I think a majority would say Other headline.

Ask people who watch on TV, and I think they'd say the Pyramid sub (with the big, prime time TV show).

Last year is probably a case in point - Sam Fender and Noel Gallagher in particular, both had big TV slots - so likely a lot more memorable to the armchair Glasto watcher.  I doubt many people sought out Megan Thee Stallion on telly, when Macca was on at the same time.

Let's hope the subs are as good/well known/crowd pleasing this year

Pulp.... Fit that bill 🤞