Other Stage Headliners

airwaves

11 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Relevance is a funny word though, isn't it? Relevance in terms of being a more contemporary act? Relevance to a certain demographic? Relevance to the charts? There's many strands to that term.

Sam Smith is a good option up against Arctic Monkeys, they're riding the wave of Grammy and Brits exposure. Actually surprised they're not subbing the Pyramid, tbh.

I'm assuming you're a 1975 fan, so I'll take your word on their suitability to headline. They seem really popular and I suppose one could argue that they might have been a better fit than Arctic Monkeys.

I agree with you on your point regarding female artists. I'm also surprised there's apparently not going to be more female representation at a higher level but this year maybe artist availability, suitability and willingness to play under certain terms has made booking a little more difficult? I think we all know that Emily is a champion of ensuring a wider range of representation, no doubt they've tried their best.

I suppose it's my opinion.

GnR not relevant, never heard a good word about their shows in recent years

AM maybe relevant in the fact they've recently released a record that got to number 1 but everyone quickly realised it was terrible and as a live band they don't have that spark anymore. A lot of their older fans now bored like myself.

Elton I would argue has always been relevant, appeals to all generations and I'm looking forward to seeing him.

Sam Smith only relevant recently due to media attention and a song that gained popularity through tiktok but it's widely agreed that he's fell off everyone's radar musically.

QOTSA beyond boring.

Prodigy maybe not relevant for the new generation but their music stands the test of time and they've still got more energy in their sets after all these years than all the above.

I've said my piece but there's so many more artists who could've smashed it this year. 

1 minute ago, kaytee... said:

I've said my piece but there's so many more artists who could've smashed it this year. 

I’m not going to disagree with you on this - there are a lot of glaring omissions I’d say (acts just not touring Europe, and some I thought would be no brainers somehow not being around at all). But yeah I think in the grand scheme of things Glastonbury have had solid pickings from what is available.

21 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Spotify Top Artists in the World:

Sam Smith - #7
Elton John - #40
Arctic Monkeys - #55
Guns n Roses - #147

The Prodigy/ QOTSA/ Wizkid - (outside the top 500)

Is there an easy way to get spotify (using browser rather than desktop) to tell me which the top artists in the world are?

13 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Slightly OT, but am I the only person in the world who thinks Unholy is a bag of shit?  Everyone I know seems to like it but I can't listen to it.  Awful dirge.

There's a lot of hate for Sam Smith but I find their new stuff much more interesting musically & lyrically than their early stuff.

Plus Unholy is a banger.

2 minutes ago, TGCarr said:

Really can’t believe they haven’t booked The 1975.

they’d be much better than GnR, AM & QOTSA.

also how Little Simz hasn’t made it also is shocking in terms as a solid headliner on a smaller stage.

just glad Prodigy don’t clash with EJ.

Simz played last year.

2 minutes ago, TGCarr said:

also how Little Simz hasn’t made it also is shocking in terms as a solid headliner on a smaller stage.

I thought similar but pointed out to me that headlined WH last year without being brilliant.  New album out though, so fingers crossed still somewhere on the lineup...

32 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

The other place...

We have a leak.

yeah im stupid thanks

10 minutes ago, kaytee... said:

QOTSA beyond boring.

Prodigy maybe not relevant for the new generation but their music stands the test of time and they've still got more energy in their sets after all these years than all the above.

QOTSA are known to be good live and haven't played before. Had it not been old white man year at worthy farm they'd look like a far far better booking.

2 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Headlined Other stage in 2011

my bad - still a 12 year gap, its really not a bad booking just looks awful this year due to who else is booked

It was originally for 2020 wasn't it and would have been completely fine with kendrick taylor macca, prodigy and whoever the final other headliner was

15 minutes ago, kaytee... said:

I suppose it's my opinion.

GnR not relevant, never heard a good word about their shows in recent years

AM maybe relevant in the fact they've recently released a record that got to number 1 but everyone quickly realised it was terrible and as a live band they don't have that spark anymore. A lot of their older fans now bored like myself.

Elton I would argue has always been relevant, appeals to all generations and I'm looking forward to seeing him.

Sam Smith only relevant recently due to media attention and a song that gained popularity through tiktok but it's widely agreed that he's fell off everyone's radar musically.

QOTSA beyond boring.

How in the age of streaming can a record get to number 1 and people quickly realise it’s terrible 😂

I think you mean that you think it’s terrible, but in fact as it got to number 1 a lot of people don’t. 

3 minutes ago, gfa said:

yeah im stupid thanks

QOTSA are known to be good live and haven't played before. Had it not been old white man year at worthy farm they'd look like a far far better booking.

They might well be but I guess I can't agree with giving someone accused of dv by both their partner and children a headline slot at one of the biggest festivals in the world

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

That setlist was voted for by the fans wasn't it?  Seem to recall they had a website with 3 votes per user and the setlist was built from the most voted songs.  Was a cracking show in fairness.  Loved it.