Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

2 hours ago, Kizzie said:

Yes, it is very sad. It appears if you disagree too much with the sneering bully's who seem to want to police some of these threads then your opinion is not valid and is to be ridiculed. 

To be fair when the opinion is always 'x is shit' whilst offering nothing to the conversation, you can see why people who are genuinely discussing a topic get fed up. 

Not sure you can really call it bullying, not like anyone's called him a nonce or anything.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

To be fair when the opinion is always 'x is shit' whilst offering nothing to the conversation, you can see why people who are genuinely discussing a topic get fed up. 

Not sure you can really call it bullying, not like anyone's called him a nonce or anything.

I don't see much genuine discussion here, mainly people losing their shit over somebody else's opinion.

He's no worse than most 

This isn't a dig at you @kingbadger

Edited by km9

4 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

This, the guy claims to have no interest in headliners or legend and yet is all over those friends doing nothing but complaining and saying how shit it all is. He gives it the big “I’ve been going for decades” yet barely had a positive word to say about the place.

Its just a rampant, unending deluge of negativity and misery.

I'm really curious. Do people on the forum take this approach into real life?

Like, if you go to a pub and you know there are punters or staff in there that you don't get on with or argue with, do you purposefully sit near them and get involved in their conversations so you can argue the toss on everything?

Or if you're out in a big group of friends and you know that one of your mates maybe has a mate that you don't like, do you make sure you're standing next to them so you can get involved? Or do you just maybe keep your distance, or make sure that there's a wider conversation to dilute the stuff that annoys you?

Honestly feels like some people just actively enjoy the argument; either that or the whole concept of "wininng" is more important that actually, you know, enjoying discussing music and festivals and whatever else pops up.

You can figure out yourselves whether maybe I'm talking about you or not in this.  I'm not going to call out individuals because, quite frankly the list would be too long and I'd get bored before I finished it.

Rant over.  I've got a meeting about why my reporting isn't reconciling across data sources and at the moment that's going to be more fun than wading through some of this nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Like, if you go to a pub and you know there are punters or staff in there that you don't get on with or argue with, do you purposefully sit near them and get involved in their conversations so you can argue the toss on everything?

Or if you're out in a big group of friends and you know that one of your mates maybe has a mate that you don't like, do you make sure you're standing next to them so you can get involved? Or do you just maybe keep your distance, or make sure that there's a wider conversation to dilute the stuff that annoys you?

Honestly feels like some people just actively enjoy the argument; either that or the whole concept of "wininng" is more important that actually, you know, enjoying discussing music and festivals and whatever else pops up.

You can figure out yourselves whether maybe I'm talking about you or not in this.  I'm not going to call out individuals because, quite frankly the list would be too long and I'd get bored before I finished it.

Rant over.  I've got a meeting about why my reporting isn't reconciling across data sources and at the moment that's going to be more fun than wading through some of this nonsense.

You're right about winning. The old thread that must never be mentioned again was all about winning the argument. I think everyone lost though.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

I find it incredibly narcissistic when people need to tell you they don’t like something, or worst still, don’t care either way. It’s all very “everyone needs to know that I don’t like this!”

Not liking things is fine, but there’s no need to constantly tell everyone you don’t like something over and over again. Especially when everyone else is talking and getting excited for something.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I find it incredibly narcissistic when people need to tell you they don’t like something, or worst still, don’t care either way. It’s all very “everyone needs to know that I don’t like this!”

Not liking things is fine, but there’s no need to constantly tell everyone you don’t like something over and over again. Especially when everyone else is talking and getting excited for something.

Unfortunately that's what social media, the internet and modern life in general has become. I think it's always been there, it's just that we all have a more accessible and wide-ranging platform to express it nowadays. We've lost the art of discussion. So many people seem married to their ideas and there's seldom room for compromise. Not just on here but in all forms. It's all about "I" now. And it's only getting worse.

27 minutes ago, pryce said:

couldnt name or even say what the 1975 sound like, but still think they could headline.

I was just about to use the 1975 as an example. Before getting Glasto tickets for this year and starting to regularly read this forum again, my only exposure to them was from friends who saw them at reading last year as stand ins for RATM. All of them said how awful their music was, I was pretty surprised to see the love they get on here.

I still haven’t heard any of their tunes so no idea what they are about.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

But that's my point.  If you know it annoys you, fine. That's everyone's prerogative, to be wound up by something.  But ultimately, what impact does it have?  You can ignore it and go on about your life, or you can argue and perpetuate the shit vibes.

I said I wouldn't single out, but fuck it. I feel the need to illustrate.

So I have @Skip997 on my ignored users list.  That's because in this thread in particular, I've found Skip to be a little too negative for my liking and I found it reducing my enjoyment of the thread. However I've also found conversation in other threads to be better, so I'll opt to view Skip's posts elsewhere and comment on them. I'll sometimes check them in this thread to see what the chat is; if it's still too Eeyoreish for me, I'll continue to ignore.  If not, I might engage.

I deal with other users in the same way, but for obvious reasons Skip is a helpful example. And I'm fairly confident (although possibly wrongly) that Skip isn't going to be heartbroken by the fact that random bloke with a star trek profile picture doesn't want to hear everything he(?) says. I might be about to get corrected.

I don't get into arguments that bring me and the general vibe down. I don't have to read negative posts about headliners unless I choose to check. And the world continues to turn.

• Like 1

I personally much prefer the civil disagreement approach. I don't tend to bother much with a thread if it's for an artist I have no interest in. I figure it's for people who do have an interest in them and not for me. I do think a lot of people police opinion based on their experience and say x is much better than y because they like it more or have more of a fondness for that type of act. 

I also think far too many people think they can use metrics to tell you whether you should or shouldn't like or know something and unfortunately music is an art not a science. I have artists where I know I should theoretically like them, they share my politics, they are deemed to be similar to other acts that I love but for whatever reason they just don't click for me (sometimes despite repeated attempts) and then there are others I like straightaway and I don't know why. It's the magic and mystery of this wonderful artform. 

I do also try not to have a go at artists I don't like because I appreciate others do truly love them and I agree constant negativity from others about an act you love can grate after a while so maybe we can all learn that once we have made our point once move on from it. 

54 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

You can include me in the Depeche Mode shout from the last page.

I know 3 songs of theirs - Enjoy the silence, Personal Jesus and Just can't get enough. 

I find it utterly bonkers when folk on here suggest them as headliners.

Being 33 though that's perhaps not a surprise though given their heyday was seemingly many moons before I entered the world.

Interesting point

I do like them and much prefer them to GNR but is there much different size / relevancy now wise. not sure why this is a comparison

both tour infrequently and do a couple of stadiums each time, but no doubt if were around as much as some other acts would be confined to arenas?

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

But that's my point.  If you know it annoys you, fine. That's everyone's prerogative, to be wound up by something.  But ultimately, what impact does it have?  You can ignore it and go on about your life, or you can argue and perpetuate the shit vibes.

I said I wouldn't single out, but fuck it. I feel the need to illustrate.

So I have @Skip997 on my ignored users list.  That's because in this thread in particular, I've found Skip to be a little too negative for my liking and I found it reducing my enjoyment of the thread. However I've also found conversation in other threads to be better, so I'll opt to view Skip's posts elsewhere and comment on them. I'll sometimes check them in this thread to see what the chat is; if it's still too Eeyoreish for me, I'll continue to ignore.  If not, I might engage.

I deal with other users in the same way, but for obvious reasons Skip is a helpful example. And I'm fairly confident (although possibly wrongly) that Skip isn't going to be heartbroken by the fact that random bloke with a star trek profile picture doesn't want to hear everything he(?) says. I might be about to get corrected.

I don't get into arguments that bring me and the general vibe down. I don't have to read negative posts about headliners unless I choose to check. And the world continues to turn.

thats the exact same reason Ive had skip on ignore for several months, some of his comments I would find irritating and baiting such as his comment that "artics, taylor swift and elton would be the worst ever glastonbury headliners" but on other topics I enjoy reading his comments when he's talking about what he likes about the festival and catching up with old friendss, having meals together and enjoying the other areas of glastonbury . So I just pick and choose which of skips comments I know I'll find interesting and informative.

Yeah the block button is actually quite usefull … it’s quite easy to see negative posts they stand out far more than positive and will get a response from others that make them standout even more .. and then we get into a conversation about 1 post which becomes several pages . And it’s not just skips posts that are negative . And yeah sometimes we are human despite being on the internet we might just have shit days … I’m certainly having a couple myself 

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Right no watford slander. He loves the club anyway if not the town

haha I agree... I don't like anyone speaking bad about my hometown apart from me. 

Bloody shithole 😂

• Like 1

such as his comment that "artics, taylor swift and elton would be the worst ever glastonbury headliners"

@gazzared

Incorrect, unless I'm forgetting it was AM, GnR and Elton

Although I'm not a fan and controversially believe her marketing is a very cynical money making exercise, TS would be a good booking as she's contemporary and relevant, unlike the other two

2 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

OK, here's one. 

If Elton John gets Kiki Dee and Dua Lipa out...

...who do Arctic Monkeys and Guns 'n' Roses whip out? (The latter have history for guests - Angus Young, Pink, Billy Gibbons, Dave Grohl and Carrie Underwood in recent years.)

Turner bound to bring out Miles Kane at some point. Guns N Roses deffo inviting along Damian Marley to bring Axl some reggae.

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Yeah the block button is actually quite usefull … it’s quite easy to see negative posts they stand out far more than positive and will get a response from others that make them standout even more .. and then we get into a conversation about 1 post which becomes several pages . And it’s not just skips posts that are negative . And yeah sometimes we are human despite being on the internet we might just have shit days … I’m certainly having a couple myself 

Should stress the only reason I mentioned @Skip997 was for illustrative purposes and not intended as a focus.  You're certainly not the only one on that list.

For example, if I see one more picture of a hat with an Elton John lego figure on it I'm going to lose it 😉

• Like 1