Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

Just now, NorthernSoul52 said:

It's certainly got a strong line in comedy for me, particularly given we'll have figured out the bigger names by process of elimination or sheer dumb luck at that point.

Usually the case though innit. By the time of the poster there are only ever truly a handful of genuine surprises that noone saw coming. Katy Perry and Mikey Cyrus would be two examples.

That's the trade-off when you keep your ear to the ground by lingering around this place.

34 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Usually the case though innit. By the time of the poster there are only ever truly a handful of genuine surprises that noone saw coming. Katy Perry and Mikey Cyrus would be two examples.

That's the trade-off when you keep your ear to the ground by lingering around this place.

My favourite is when people on here get upset that there's little to no surprises on the poster and they've posted multiple times a day on this forum since tickets went on sale. 

28 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

And the band have since tried to distance themselves from it and it was removed from a recent reissue.

Axl's response was pretty dismal, though. He initially came out defending it:

Why can black people go up to each other and say, 'Nigger,' but when a white guy does it all of a sudden it's a big putdown? I don't like boundaries of any kind. I don't like being told what I can and what I can't say. I used the word 'nigger' because it's a word to describe somebody that is basically a pain in your life, a problem.

Then he later softened his defence:

I was pissed off about some black people that were trying to rob me ... I wanted to insult those particular black people

But it's still a shit defence. To my knowledge he's never apologised. Very happy to be corrected.

Regarding his homophobia, he's described himself as "pro-heterosexual" and offered:

I'm not against them doing what they want to do as long as it's not hurting anybody else and they're not forcing it upon me

Which is the kind of latent, passive-aggressive abuse classic of homophobes.

Maybe he's more recently lamented his years as a racist, homophobic w*nker. I'm not aware if he has.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

My favourite is when people on here get upset that there's little to no surprises on the poster and they've posted multiple times a day on this forum since tickets went on sale. 

"I'm bored of discussing the Taylor Swift rumour ever day, I want a curveball"

"Taylor Swift isn't playing and has been replaced by Guns'n'Roses"

"Not like that!"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Meerkat said:

Wow, is that a coincidence or deliberate?

Never knew that

Deliberate.  Guess he thought it was cool/clever back in the early 80's.  In fairness, trying to imagine the peer group back then, it was probably deemed so.

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

"I'm bored of discussing the Taylor Swift rumour ever day, I want a curveball"

"Taylor Swift isn't playing and has been replaced by Guns'n'Roses"

"Not like that!"

It's the main reason I don't bother speculating on the headliners.  I couldn't actually tell you what I do want in that slot, so I don't really end up with anything to add as I've got no response to the question of "well what would you prefer?"

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

It's the main reason I don't bother speculating on the headliners.  I couldn't actually tell you what I do want in that slot, so I don't really end up with anything to add as I've got no response to the question of "well what would you prefer?"

In an ideal world you want a mixture of acts you dearly love and wouldn't miss for the world and acts who are huge/interesting but you probably wouldn't shell out £150+ to see in a football stadium.  Reg probably ticks the first one for me.  GNR maybe the second.  AM not so much.

Harry Styles & Dua Lipa would be squarely in the second category for me and I would undoubtedly watch both.  Radiohead would tick box one (I know, I know...) but there aren't many acts still active that would be big enough to headline and that I'm mad passionate about.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

In an ideal world you want a mixture of acts you dearly love and wouldn't miss for the world and acts who are huge/interesting but you probably wouldn't shell out £150+ to see in a football stadium.  Reg probably ticks the first one for me.  GNR maybe the second.  AM not so much.

Harry Styles & Dua Lipa would be squarely in the second category for me and I would undoubtedly watch both.  Radiohead would tick box one (I know, I know...) but there aren't many acts still active that would be big enough to headline and that I'm mad passionate about.

I think this is where I struggle. My list of must-sees that are headliner-level is non-existent now.  I'm not hugely fussed about any repeat viewings at Glastonbury, and almost all of the bands over my lifetime that I've really wanted to see, I've seen.

The only two exceptions I can think of would be REM (I've mentioned them in the dream lineup conversations, seen them once but not at Glastonbury) and Metallica (the only one of my "big acts" that I've never see at all).

REM will never reform and I very much doubt that Metallica will be a repeat Glastonbury headliner, so it's a slim field for me.

The undercard & smaller stages, that's where I could start reeling off dream bookings.

I think I'd like:

One act I love and am excited to see on the Pyramid. Hello GnR.

One act I'm interested in seeing, wouldn't normally bother but will be a very good night if nothing else drags me away. Hello Elton.

One act I have zero interest in to make sure I spend at least one night away from The Pyramid but I recognise is a good booking for the festival. Hello Arctic Monkeys.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I think I'd like:

One act I love and am excited to see on the Pyramid. Hello GnR.

One act I'm interested in seeing, wouldn't normally bother but will be a very good night if nothing else drags me away. Hello Elton.

One act I have zero interest in to make sure I spend at least one night away from The Pyramid but I recognise is a good booking for the festival. Hello Arctic Monkeys.

You can see GnR. In the legend slot.

Harry Styles / AM / Elton John.

• Like 2