Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’m getting really, really fucking tired of people making me out to say things I’m not saying and throwing stuff that I’ve done ages ago at me. I’m sure you all enjoy getting a rise from it. Or whenever someone gets bored dragging something from the past to win an argument. You’re one of the worst offenders. Fuck you.

Well I hope you enjoyed it and got the rise you wanted.

Fuck all of you. This place is the pits.

Who had Jan 7th down for Matt’s first flounce of the year?

Get stroppy all you want Matthew, you can’t complain about other using “facts” to back up arguments when you have done it so many times yourself down the years. Just as you can’t complain about the “Glasto Chat” people who seem to live rent free in your head whilst simultaneously decrying and shouting down anything that doesn’t fit in with your view of how the festival should be.

While I call out Matt more than most for some of the mad things he occasionally comes out with; I think y'all are being a bit ridiculous here.

He does mention spotify stats and what not but not in relation to whether an act is good live or not which is what he was talking about.

I'm personally really looking forward to Elton John and Guns N Roses but he certainly has a point about all 3 headliners not having a great life reputation 

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I genuinely don’t intend to start arguments, I just call out bullshit when I see it.

Yes you absolutely fucking do. You are always the first to instigate dog pile and you’re one of the worst offenders of it. You’re always the first to try and make out like you’re my mate and you have my best interest. But I know exactly what you do.

Just now, Florian Saucer Attack said:

While I call out Matt more than most for some of the mad things he occasionally comes out with; I think y'all are being a bit ridiculous here.

He does mention spotify stats and what not but not in relation to whether an act is good live or not which is what he was talking about.

I'm personally really looking forward to Elton John and Guns N Roses but he certainly has a point about all 3 headliners not having a great life reputation 

It’s more the hypocrisy of him decrying people using facts and figures to defend an act when we all know if it was an act he liked then he’d be doing the exact same thing.

Elton doesn’t have a bad live reputation anyway, folk who have seen him say he’s great. As CalGon says it’s just the Dill Danding stuff people use as a stick to beat him with.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass II said:

It’s more the hypocrisy of him decrying people using facts and figures to defend an act when we all know if it was an act he liked then he’d be doing the exact same thing.

See what I mean, always happy to instigate a dog pile over something I’ve not done or “might do”. It’s absolutely fucking tiring being accused of things I’ve not actually done but you want to make out I’m doing. I’ve actually had enough. 

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I've brought this up with Matt before but he wasn't doing it here.

I really hope the folks who say Elton John is good live are right but there is a large group of people who say he is not good, whether they are correct or not is another matter but I don't think it's outrageous of Matt to mention their opinion 

1 minute ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

I really hope the folks who say Elton John is good live are right but there is a large group of people who say he is not good, whether they are correct or not is another matter but I don't think it's outrageous of Matt to mention their opinion 

Same was said for The Rolling Stones and Macca.  Once there’s 100,000 people in the crowd singing along to every word it really won’t matter at all 

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

See what I mean, always happy to instigate a dog pile over something I’ve not done or “might do”. It’s absolutely fucking tiring being accused of things I’ve not actually done but you want to make out I’m doing. I’ve actually had enough. 

Its an internet forum frequented by people with names like "hugh jass", "4assedmonkey" and "beerqueen". 

I wouldnt worry about it too much.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Believe it or not Matt, I actually do have better things to do with my time than think up creative and innovative ways to victimise you on an internet message board.

Surely you can see the irony and humour in your “facts” comment when you yourself have done so many times in the past? That’s not dog piling, that’s just pointing out something amusing.

I genuinely apologise if you feel I’ve been over zealous in my posts towards yourself and will reel it in in future. FWIW I still think you’re a good kid.

14 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’m getting really, really fucking tired of people making me out to say things I’m not saying and throwing stuff that I’ve done ages ago at me. I’m sure you all enjoy getting a rise from it. Or whenever someone gets bored dragging something from the past to win an argument. You’re one of the worst offenders. Fuck you.

Well I hope you enjoyed it and got the rise you wanted.

Fuck all of you. This place is the pits.

I wasn’t trying to get a rise. I’m always trying to get people to understand the gap between them liking an act and them being ‘weak’ or ‘a bad booking’ or ‘past it’ or whatever phrase they try and attach.

Very few people get as worked up about it as you have done here. If anyone was trying to get a rise it’s you. You know full well (hopefully! I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt here) you could have phrased everything you’ve put today differently but chose not to, and the inevitable result is you got a reaction. That doesn’t make ‘this place ‘the pits,’ it’s just cause and effect.

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Surely you can see the irony and humour in your “facts” comment when you yourself have done so many times in the past? That’s not dog piling, that’s just pointing out something amusing.

Everyone has said things in the past that they no longer stand by but it feels like I’m still getting stick for things I’ve stopped doing and it’s very tiring. and tbh I’m not very quick to accept your apology because I want this to stop.

I also think it’s a gross manipulation of what I’ve said in the past. I’ve brought up Spotify stats in the past to explain why an act would get BOOKED. Not as evidence of them being a solid /exciting live performer etc. Again this is what really really is getting to me. Twisting absolutely everything I say to get a rise. You continue to do it even when you’ve apologised in the past. I want it to stop. Especially for things I’ve not said or done in a while. 

Edited by Matt42

4 minutes ago, sisco said:

Same was said for The Rolling Stones and Macca.  Once there’s 100,000 people in the crowd singing along to every word it really won’t matter at all 

That Stones one was funny. The difference in perception between people watching at home and those in the field felt huge. Maybe it wasn’t but reading the comments when I got home on the Monday was a real eye opener. I must have assumed everyone would enjoy it as much as the people around me in the field did. So naive.

5 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

That Stones one was funny. The difference in perception between people watching at home and those in the field felt huge. Maybe it wasn’t but reading the comments when I got home on the Monday was a real eye opener. I must have assumed everyone would enjoy it as much as the people around me in the field did. So naive.

That's why it's best to just ignore all the YouTube clips we'll see between now and June that 'prove' Elton or GnR will be shit.

Just now, nikkic said:

GNR question…..

Have they always had a bad live rep, or is it that they’re now “past it”? 

I heard good things about their 2017 reunion show and 2011 shows. Tottenham this summer was mired by Axl's illness which ultimately lead them to cancel their glasgow show.

The Spotify stats are fascinating to me - it’s an illustration of a predominantly younger and more tech-savvy group and their preferences, instead of the older generation who are/were much more likely to actually spend money on records/tapes/CDs.
There’s an online game of Higher! Lower! / play your cards right, where you pick between metal songs according to which has higher plays on Spotify - it’s absolutely infuriating as a metal fan of a certain age, as I naturally assume that classic acts like Sabbath and Maiden must surely have much higher plays than nonsense like Papa Roach. But no, due to unfathomable TikTok/dumb reasons, papa roach are basically untouchable. It’s baffling 😆

5 minutes ago, nikkic said:

GNR question…..

Have they always had a bad live rep, or is it that they’re now “past it”? 

Late 80’s they had an absolutely amazing live rep. But that was indoor venues, clubs etc, and then they got the reputation of riots, turning up late, and all the rest of the nonsense as they started playing stadiums etc. 

27 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Everyone has said things in the past that they no longer stand by but it feels like I’m still getting stick for things I’ve stopped doing and it’s very tiring. and tbh I’m not very quick to accept your apology because I want this to stop.

It wasn't that long ago you were declaring yourself above everyone else in terms of being in tune with the direction the festival was going in cos you guessed a couple of acts would be there. Now it seems you're throwing a hissy fit when, entirely unpredictably, that turns out not to be the case.

24 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That's why it's best to just ignore all the YouTube clips we'll see between now and June that 'prove' Elton or GnR will be shit.

It’s the Macca debate all over again isn’t it?

You’re absolutely right though personally being on the fence about whether to go to GNR I am tempted to look for a set on YouTube at some point. Just remember to allow for the quality of the recording and how different it will be in the Pyramid field and adjust my expectations accordingly.

1 hour ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

I genuinely don’t know anyone who has actually seen Elton John do a live show last year who thought he was awful. I have even seen people say they went not especially liking him because they got a free ticket and they really enjoyed him. That’s actually why I am quite excited about him. His live reputation seems pretty solid. I am not a huge fan. I have never bought an album by him, said just yesterday I would not pay to see him live but he’s a fantastic booking for the festival.