Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

7 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Guns n Roses, do the general public really know more than a handful of songs?  Either way I know there's people saying the singing is poor live but is this maybe a Stone Roses type situation where the singing is awful but the music is really good? So anyone who likes classic guitary stuff will probably enjoy it. Personally I don't even like the songs I do know so will likely be elsewhere, though if there's a little bit of time to spare I'll check out the start or end out of curiosity as I'd never watch them otherwise 

Probably more songs than the general public knew of Metallica, another big 80s/90s rock act that are critically irrelevant these days, and little more than a nostalgia act.

(I assume the comparison with Metallica has been made in the 12 more pages I've to read to catch up)

GNR 20% (70%) Loved them as a teenager but no interest in them now, will be better stuff elsewhere.

AM 10% (80%) Seen them at least 7 times off the top of my head, if not more. I’ve reached saturation point where I never have to see them again.

Elton 100% (1000%) Seen him once before at Bestival, but is an absolute must see, probably more so than any other act I’ve seen at Glastonbury.

*The percentages in brackets are actual reality, they represent the chance I’ll get peer-pressured into seeing that act by my group, the initial percentages are what I actually think in my own head.

Edited by Jose Pose

5 hours ago, Neil said:

most year people get acts they've been wanting to see. anyone who has wanted to see gnr will have already seen them.

Again, hardly.

Loads of people wouldn't be bothered paying the high ticket prices for their own gig, but would gladly see them at a festival.

Just like Elton, who plays literally every little stadium and arena all over the UK. But there's still be loads of people at Glastonbury who haven't seen him (and many on this forum), who will be going along to catch him.

1 hour ago, gfa said:

It was about popular culture what i quoted originally - you need to go less out of your way to hear Billie and Kendrick as GNR

re. radio 1, isn't capital more listened to anyway? that will have heaps of billie on (less sure about kendrick defo had some of the black panther songs on though back in the day - and obviously no GNR)

while this is true what you are saying, it's not really relevant in the context of not knowing many songs by a band who you know is playing at a festival you are going to. As these days you can simply listen to all of their music with ease so not knowing their songs should not be a problem. 

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Arctic Monkeys headlining the festival for the 3rd time in 12 festivals is super low energy.

GnR is very risky. Could be great, could be a shambles or Axl could throw a hissy and be late and/or walk off or thump someone in the front row. Unmissable either way. 

The same thought process happened to me when they played Reading Festival in 2010. Unmissable I thought. Even if it’s a shambles I thought. 

Turns out…

It was just fucking shit.

Even the shambolic quality to it was boring. Never again.

20 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

GNR 20% (70%) Loved them as a teenager but no interest in them now, will be better stuff elsewhere.

AM 10% (80%) Seen them at least 7 times off the top of my head, if not more. I’ve reached saturation point where I never have to see them again.

Elton 100% (1000%) Seen him once before at Bestival, but is an absolute must see, probably more so than any other act I’ve seen at Glastonbury.

*The percentages in brackets are actual reality, they represent the chance I’ll get peer-pressured into seeing that act by my group, the initial percentages are what I actually think in my own head.

Couldn’t be dealing with that difference in what I wanted to do and what my group wanted to do! As Fleetwood Mac suggest, go your own way! 

AM 50%

Not a huge fan but haven’t seen them since 2009 so not ruling it out. Depends on setlists, who’s on elsewhere etc. More to the point, I think Mrs.MEGABOWL fancies it and as we haven’t both been there since 2013 I’m not going to bugger off and leave her on the first night.

GNR 50%

Depends what’s on elsewhere but right in the sweet spot of being an act I wouldn’t pay £100 to see at their own gig but would like to see a Greatest Hits set at a festival

ELTON 100%
Cant imagine what would tempt me elsewhere

AM - 10% - Very unlikely I see, saw them at Leeds last year and have tickets to the tour, would rather go elsewhere and see what else is on.

GNR - 5% - Might catch a song or two, but definitely will not be sticking about for the full set, even if we just head to SEC or Arcadia early.

Elton - 95% - Seems unmissable to be honest, unless there is an absolute belter of a booking on another stage, Emily, PLEASE do not clash Skrillex, Fred or Prodigy, I beg. 

20 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

while this is true what you are saying, it's not really relevant in the context of not knowing many songs by a band who you know is playing at a festival you are going to. As these days you can simply listen to all of their music with ease so not knowing their songs should not be a problem. 

Don't disagree, just completely forgot what the original point even was now (i don't think you even made it!)

AM - Loved first two albums, not so much the rest. Not the greatest frontman in terms of taking to the audience either. Never seen them live though so I'll see who they are up against first.

GNR - I know Sweet Child O' Mine, Paradise City and November Rain only really (like most people) so 2 hours to just hear those three may be better spent elsewhere.

Elton - He was playing small cricket grounds a few years back so not sure why some are saying it's a massive coup? Voice had gone to pub singer standard so really not sure although I said I would only watch 2 songs of Macca and head to Jamie T but I stayed and watched the lot and glad I did. If he's up against Prodigy though I'll be off.

5 minutes ago, westholtschic said:

0%  Monkeys personally thought they were dire at Reading last year

100% Guns and Roses. Will put my nightmare to bed of missing Slash in 2010 to watch the football 

100% Elton. Still can’t believe we have him at the farm.

Slash was great in 2010 by the way. <ducks>

• Upvote 1

AM - 10% seen them a handful of times, very mixed bag live. Can't imagine anything from their last 2 albums improving things for me.

GnR - 0% seen them be shite and late twice, absolutely no appeal to repeat that and my GF can't stand them. Plus Slash was way better solo.

Elton - 100% lot of nostalgia and heard he puts on a show. Would have to be something extremely special to draw me away.

Would have preferred a newer band get a boost than two who peaked over 3 decades ago, but I usually only see one so not too fussed.

Edited by Dan R

Polarising trio. Can’t imagine there’s too many people going who are avid fans of all three…

I loved GnR when I was about 16, then saw them at Reading 2010 and haven’t touched them since.

Love AM.

I like the idea of seeing Elton’s last ever show in the UK. But Bennie and the jets is the only song that doesn’t regularly get skipped on shuffle 😂

Pray for that resale pot to be more of a barrel 🙏🏻 

0% Arctics - Absolutely no interest.
51% GnR - Very much depends on what's happening elsewhere, but I did used to love AfD before I grew up.
99% Elton - There's a small number of acts that could tempt me away, but I don't expect any of them to be booked against Elton.

4 minutes ago, theglastokid said:

GNR - I know Sweet Child O' Mine, Paradise City and November Rain only really (like most people) so 2 hours to just hear those three may be better spent elsewhere.

You know Welcome to the Jungle as well surely? Feels like it's been played before about half of the sports matches that have ever taken place.

• Upvote 1

That took some catching up with…

This is the most this forum has ever looked like the Facebook comments section underneath a first poster drop and that’s saying something.

A festival can only book what is available to them at any given time, Glasto included. But they’ve pulled off a headline trio of AM, GNR and Reg (regardless of how flat AM are live now and how past it the other two are) then they have three bands who have practically sold out stadium tours in the last year. It’s objectively massive, even if it’s relatively naff.

Edited by 49Lawson
  • Upvote 2

Does this mean 2024 = at least 2 female headline acts? Not because it absolutely has to, just think it balances things out from this year. I know they try and meet their quota across the overall line up, but if availability next year offers up Dua Lipa, Rihanna, Taylor Swift, you'd imagine it may be time to give it a whirl.

8 minutes ago, StevieGed said:

Does this mean 2024 = at least 2 female headline acts? Not because it absolutely has to, just think it balances things out from this year. I know they try and meet their quota across the overall line up, but if availability next year offers up Dua Lipa, Rihanna, Taylor Swift, you'd imagine it may be time to give it a whirl.

No guarantees but it does seem likely that Taylor and Dua will be playing on these shores next summer.