2024 Headliners

1 hour ago, Mr Boo said:

https://apple.news/ArNgHIdmBTw6T1lrI6AzjrA
The Sun has an article saying Smokey Robinson as a headliner.

Not a quality source I agree, but not heard mention of Smokey before?

he's a long-time want of Sir Michael's  same as cat stephens was last year, Sir Michael get his favourite acts eventually.

12 hours ago, TiZuff said:

i still cant believe sza would headline the pyramid... its a big leap of faith by the festival. a brave one. got to applaud them. 

also if she can headline with a such low tempo music for the most part, then that should open up avenues for other music to headline... which i dont really mind. i always thought acts like bon iver, frank ocean, tame impala were too slow for the pyramid... maybe theres a chance in the future... i mean at some point we have to start taking a chance on new headline acts.

we cant complain about coldplay and then complain that new acts "arent big enough" etc.

the festival is going to have no choice because everyone they adore is going to be done within 5 years and unless they wanna have coldplay and foo fighters every other year then theyll have to actually be adventurous. emily has had a thing about the industry not creating enough female headliners, well she should just go do it herself. the festival isnt a kingmaker for artists cause it doesnt translate everywhere for everyone. it just ticks a box for some acts and secures them in having a career in the uk mostly.

15 hours ago, mnightjamalan said:

Bad Guy was everywhere when she released that. Can't think of a SZA song with the same airtime on mainstream radio

Kill Bill for sure. Then she had that viral Big Boy tiktok sound from an SNL appearancE that would have definitely took people over to her music catalogue.

Edited by Monty Pythagoras

1 minute ago, ModBoy said:

Seen it mentioned on a few threads that O-Rod had been asked but turned it down for one reason or another, is this actual info we have or just an assumption people have made?

The latter - it's just a bit of Occam's Razor interpretation.

e.g. if Liv isn't on the poster come tomorrow then why not?

Cos she is a more obvious name for them to try for than SZA.

57 minutes ago, ModBoy said:

Seen it mentioned on a few threads that O-Rod had been asked but turned it down for one reason or another, is this actual info we have or just an assumption people have made?

She may have turned it down, favouring next year for whatever reason. 

A bit like Dua Lipa did for Coachella (turned it down) - that's one of the reasons I'm cautious about Dua for Glasto - it's only 2 months later! 

13 minutes ago, stuie said:

She may have turned it down, favouring next year for whatever reason. 

A bit like Dua Lipa did for Coachella (turned it down) - that's one of the reasons I'm cautious about Dua for Glasto - it's only 2 months later! 

Just seems odd to me that's all, it seems so similar to the Billie Eilish booking, sold out arena tour around the time of Glastonbury, played and smashed the other stage previously. And then I could see her going and headlining the like of R&L in the UK the following year...similar to what Billie did...

8 hours ago, Suprefan said:

the festival is going to have no choice because everyone they adore is going to be done within 5 years and unless they wanna have coldplay and foo fighters every other year then theyll have to actually be adventurous. emily has had a thing about the industry not creating enough female headliners, well she should just go do it herself. the festival isnt a kingmaker for artists cause it doesnt translate everywhere for everyone. it just ticks a box for some acts and secures them in having a career in the uk mostly.

Oooh, Kingmaker, now that really would help the lineup scrape the sky

• Like 1

1 minute ago, not worthy said:

Oooh, Kingmaker, now that really would help the lineup scrape the sky

For every artist Glastonbury has helped break on the top end - Muse feels like an obvious one there? - there are those for whom it effectively is the pinnacle. With no disrespect to Stormzy or Florence and the Machine, I don't know if they'll ever be bigger than they were in that moment, if that makes sense.

4 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

For every artist Glastonbury has helped break on the top end - Muse feels like an obvious one there? - there are those for whom it effectively is the pinnacle. With no disrespect to Stormzy or Florence and the Machine, I don't know if they'll ever be bigger than they were in that moment, if that makes sense.

Completely agree.  AM were already on a strong trajectory, but the first headline appearance absolutely cemented them.  Muse too.  Outside of already established legendary acts, I think there will be as many who hit their zenith on the Pyramid and never climbed higher as those who used it as a springboard.  Florence and Mumford for sure, Stormzy - yes but he's morphed into more than just a musician.  Arcade Fire and Kasabian - possibly.  Billie Eilish remains to be seen.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Completely agree.  AM were already on a strong trajectory, but the first headline appearance absolutely cemented them.  Muse too.  Outside of already established legendary acts, I think there will be as many who hit their zenith on the Pyramid and never climbed higher as those who used it as a springboard.  Florence and Mumford for sure, Stormzy - yes but he's morphed into more than just a musician.  Arcade Fire and Kasabian - possibly.  Billie Eilish remains to be seen.

They got the year wrong with Arcade Fire. If they'd booked them for 2011 it would have been monumental - their stock was riding high with The Suburbs and those 2010/2011 shows were absolutely astonishing. Reflektor was a good album still, but it did feel as if the buzz had died down by then. I though the 2014 show was great but it didn't create much buzz, whereas I think if they'd headlined 2-3 years earlier it would have taken them to another level.