2024 Headliners

1 minute ago, Little Andy said:

Is Olivia Rodrigo no longer being considered as headliner? (I only ask cos I'd heard of her name, but hadn't heard of SZA. Obviously I'm out of touch either way 😂).

She would pull a way bigger crowd than SZA. None of our group of 20-40 somethings are going to the Pyramid that night if SZA is on. Would say 75%+ would for O-Rod

2 minutes ago, Superscally said:

She would pull a way bigger crowd than SZA. None of our group of 20-40 somethings are going to the Pyramid that night if SZA is on. Would say 75%+ would for O-Rod

Same stats in my gang tbh...

3 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Olivia Rodrigo would definitely pull a bigger crowd than SZA. Not sure the National would though. 

16 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

We get people saying that headliners will get tiny crowds every year, but no Pyramid headliner at Glastonbury will ever walk out to three men and a dog.

That’s Rufus Wainwright’s job!

15 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

We get people saying that headliners will get tiny crowds every year, but no Pyramid headliner at Glastonbury will ever walk out to three men and a dog.

Now there's a good question, who has had the smallest crowd. 

My guess would be any headliner in 2007 as it would have been bloody raining. 

1 minute ago, clarkete said:

The Who had a big crowd despite it raining sideways. And still it was better than 2015

1 minute ago, clarkete said:

Doubt it'd be 2007, just because the main alternatives would have been open air as well. The rain ended up being just something sh*tty that you had to deal with.

Today is pretty wild and I'm here for it.

In the absence if info we are just filling the void aren't we.  

The National are one of my favourite bands, I can't state that enough, but I don't think they are the right band to headliner Glasto. Joe Q public wouldn't have a clue who they are.

Better to go with an O-Rod or SZA or 1975 who have hit pop songs and a profile in the general public.

• Like 1

SZA would pull a very small crowd by Pyramid headliner standards. Would probably pull a bigger crowd as a sub with less competition.

The National would also pull a very small crowd by headliner standards, although I reckon a Glastonbury crowd is much closer demographically to a National fanbase, than a SZA fanbase. They don't have enough mainstream appeal to headline though, regardless of who's actually "on the ground" at Worthy Farm.

O-Rod would pull a small crowd by headliner standards, but bigger than both. Has enough mainstream appeal to do it IMO.

O-Rod headlining, The National Other headliner, SZA Pyramid sub feels like the right placement, if all are playing.

Edited by ghostdancer1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

The National can't sell out arenas mate.

If The National did BST they'd be giving away tickets

It wouldn't be a headliner thread if Superscally wasn't suggesting the National and Franky (I think) suggesting the KLF

5 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

SZA would pull a very small crowd by Pyramid headliner standards. Would probably pull a bigger crowd as a sub with less competition.

The National would also pull a very small crowd by headliner standards, although I reckon a Glastonbury crowd is much closer demographically to a National fanbase, than a SZA fanbase. They don't have enough mainstream appeal to headline though, regardless of who's actually "on the ground" at Worthy Farm.

O-Rod would pull a small crowd by headliner standards, but bigger than both. Has enough mainstream appeal to do it IMO.

O-Rod headlining, The National Other headliner, SZA Pyramid sub feels like the right placement, if all are playing.

ORod most likely not playing or yeah, she’d be getting the headliner gig. Not doing any festivals this year so most likely gonna headline Glastonbury along with a bunch of other festivals in the near future rather than do Glastonbury as another one off.

Just now, FloopFiller said:

ORod most likely not playing or yeah, she’d be getting the headliner gig. Not doing any festivals this year so most likely gonna headline Glastonbury along with a bunch of other festivals in the near future rather than do Glastonbury as another one off.

That she’s just started a world tour lends weight to your argument.

1 hour ago, fraybentos1 said:

What would you say these are?

I'd say The Who in 2015 was a misfire. Smacked of desperation. Getting them to bail on an already booked show wasn't a good look and it was a lacklustre set in the end. I think they were hoping for something akin to the Stones' show a couple years before. They might have learned a good lesson that year. Better to bump an act up than backfill with a heritage act beyond their best.

Apart from that, I can't really think of another from the 21st century. Obviously there's been a few replacements that fell relatively flat but you could argue they were either worthy of the bump or you can forgive the organisers for not having the time/resources to get someone bigger in.

Of course there's going to be subjective arguments around certain bands and whether they were suitable (Kasabian, Arcade Fire, KoL, Mumford, etc) but there's no doubt they were deserving of the nod at that time. 

Like I said, the festival seldom get it wrong.

11 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

The National can't sell out arenas mate.

If The National did BST they'd be giving away tickets

They did at All Points East the other year tbh which is smaller than BST. 

They've also still not managed to sell out the Crystal Palace Bowl which is somewhere between 10-15k.

Just now, Fleetwood_Mac_And_Cheese said:

They've also still not managed to sell out the Crystal Palace Bowl which is somewhere between 10-15k.

Yeah exactly, I like them but other headliner is literally the perfect slot for them. They're not particularly mainstream

1 minute ago, Fleetwood_Mac_And_Cheese said:

Maybe instead of talking about The National being bumped up to the Pyramid, we should be talking about them being bumped down to Woodsies?

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

National are far closer demographically to a National fanbase - however the National are about a quarter of the size which completely throws the argument people are making off balance.

The National on other would have an average sized crowd at best lol