2024 Headliners

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Co-headliners are pointless at a festival like Glastonbury where only one gets to play last. I get it for Reading/Leeds where they can swap placings between sites, but not for Glastonbury.

Tbh even at R+L they rarely swap placement between the sites. Most of the time they just use "co-headliner" as marketing bollocks, which Glastonbury doesn't really need to do.

If Glastonbury want to give a sub an extended set, they can do so without gimmick.

Just now, mouserat said:

Good point. Even if you have identical set lengths, whoever on last is clearly seen by everyone as the 'actual' headliner

I do agree re Glasto due to the license end time but Euro festivals always have acts on post headliner. It's still clear who the headliner is. Agree it wouldn't work at glasto tho

• Like 1

"Co-headliner" normally means "we know they're not good enough", like when Bestival resorted to Wiz Khalifa and Sean Paul as final night co-headliners after Prince fell through (by which I mean died).

10 minutes ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

This is the thing... could have all just been guesses from a person who's got a track record of good guesses 🤣

Like, for example, guessing every act on every date for BST?

That included SW. So would you say it's more logical to assume every single one of those was a guess including SW or more logical to assume that, as all the others were correct, the SW date has now been cancelled?

Some people are so determined to claim no one is in the know theyre just ignoring things now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

This is the attitude to have. I remember my first Glastonbury - 2016 and thinking "Muse? Adele? Coldplay? What a boring load of Radio 2 fodder." Thankfully, I went to see other things and enjoy myself without whinging constantly that things weren't to my taste. 

That much is true but it is always nice to have a least one pyramid headliner to look forward to.

10 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

For anyone concerned about the future of Glastonbury, for me, bookings like Kendrick Lamar, Dua Lipa and SZA (potentially) headlining the Pyramid and Wizkid headlining the Other Stage go some distance to safeguard it. There comes a point in time where you have to accept that something is no longer predominantly aimed towards you. You can either embrace those changes and get on board with it, seek out the areas that you still get value from or do something new. I've said it before, but I really think we're on the cusp of the festival moving into a new phase of its evolution. And as someone who'd like to see it continue well into the next decade, whether I attend or not, I think it's exciting.

Totally agree. It would be a disaster if the festival didn't move with the times. It would be a slow death. I'm perfectly happy if the headliners and much of the line-up doesn't match my taste in music, I'll still have a great time. More importantly, the festival needs to attract a younger audience.

6 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

Like, for example, guessing every act on every date for BST?

That included SW. So would you say it's more logical to assume every single one of those was a guess including SW or more logical to assume that, as all the others were correct, the SW date has now been cancelled?

Some people are so determined to claim no one is in the know theyre just ignoring things now.

Yup. The SW rumours first appeared on the discord from people with a good track record, then @readyforsummercame in with a full list of names and dates that have all been spot on. If SW doesn't do either, it's because something has changed, not that it was all guesswork. 

15 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

For anyone concerned about the future of Glastonbury, for me, bookings like Kendrick Lamar, Dua Lipa and SZA (potentially) headlining the Pyramid and Wizkid headlining the Other Stage go some distance to safeguard it. There comes a point in time where you have to accept that something is no longer predominantly aimed towards you. You can either embrace those changes and get on board with it, seek out the areas that you still get value from or do something new. I've said it before, but I really think we're on the cusp of the festival moving into a new phase of its evolution. And as someone who'd like to see it continue well into the next decade, whether I attend or not, I think it's exciting.

Definitely. Out of all the rumoured headliners so far only Madonna would have interested me. I saw Stevie Wonder last time and as great as he was I don't see the point in repeating it. I'd rather SZA, Dua Lipa and others who haven't headlined before be given a go above Coldplay, etc even if I've no interest in seeing them myself. It's better than keep on repeating headliners.

2 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Chances are, if there's an artist in line for the headline spot and you've never heard of them, it says more about you than the festival. You can count on one hand and have fingers spare the amount of times the festival has got it wrong.

What would you say these are?

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

The Verve 08. Kanye went south on the night and looks bad in hindsight. Arcade Fire nailed it but weren’t quite big enough for the top slot judging by the crowd.

16 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

Good info from someone in the know doesn't mean that person will produce accurate information forevermore. 

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

Muse in 2016 was lazy and unnecessary, but there haven't been many risky bookings that have failed to deliver. 

Even the bookings that we may not necessarily like or have enjoyed - Mumfords, Kasabian, Sheeran, etc were all understandable in that they were all understandable at the time.

4 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

I'd say The Who as a late replacement in 2015 was soft, and the reception appeared to be mixed.

But not sure that is exclusively their fault or the festival's. It made sense at the time.

1 minute ago, Drinky said:

The Verve 08. Kanye went south on the night and looks bad in hindsight. Arcade Fire nailed it but weren’t quite big enough for the top slot judging by the crowd.

Thought the Verve were meant to be good.

Yeah hindsight for Kanye but one of the biggest names on the planet.

AF a bit on the small side I agree. 

3 minutes ago, Drinky said:

Not sure on the crowd size for Arcade Fire but along with Blur and Macca (first time) they've been my favourite pyrmaid headliners.

I like The Verve but they were way past their best by that point.

The Who in 2015 just felt like 'they'll do'. Really poor.

Edited by Chip Batch

Just now, NorthernSoul52 said:

I'd say The Who as a late replacement in 2015 was soft, and the reception appeared to be mixed.

But not sure that is exclusively their fault or the festival's. It made sense at the time.

I remember The Who had to rearrange a gig in Paris or something to make that. They must have been very, very desperate. 

What other names were thrown about in 2015 before The Who were announced does anyone know?

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Muse in 2016 was lazy and unnecessary, but there haven't been many risky bookings that have failed to deliver. 

Even the bookings that we may not necessarily like or have enjoyed - Mumfords, Kasabian, Sheeran, etc were all understandable in that they were all understandable at the time.

Yeah if like Kasabian you can headline every other UK fest then you can do glasto too. I still remember people on here saying they weren't big enough tho

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

I remember The Who had to rearrange a gig in Paris or something to make that. They must have been very, very desperate. 

What other names were thrown about in 2015 before The Who were announced does anyone know?

Prince. I seem to recall the Who outright saying they were replacing Prince after he walked away from talks. The same thing happened the year before when Metallica were booked when they were supposed to be exclusive to Sonisphere. 

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly